Samsung 950 pro 512 GB vs Intel 750 400 GB

danielhowk

Which is faster ? 

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd950pro/specifications.html

http://ark.intel.com/products/86740/Intel-SSD-750-Series-400GB-12-Height-PCIe-3_0-20nm-MLC

samsung read and write is faster. but intel iops is faster.

for daily usage, gaming and internet browsing or real life world test which is faster ?

INTEL WAY FSATER

the 950 runs hotter than the surface if the sun, and is less robust.

for daily usage, gaming and internet browsing or real life world test which is faster ?

"Daily usage" is vague as we don't know what that consists of for you.

Whichever is cheaper or better yet, just get a SATA SSD.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You won't see any different in the real world situation, browsing the web etc, will be just as fast as a SATA SSD..

There is really no point it getting a Intel 750 or Samsung 950 Pro, unless you are doing content creation..

Startup is actually slower on NVME drives, than SATA are.

Not sure if this is the case for the 950 Pro, but I know it was for the SM951, where it would throttle down to speeds of like 70mbps, to cool down.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

INTEL WAY FSATER

WRONG

750 faster

WRONG

STILL BETTER THAN THE 750 BY A MILE IN GENERAL USE

You won't see any different in the real world situation, browsing the web etc, will be just as fast as a SATA SSD..

There is really no point it getting a Intel 750 or Samsung 950 Pro, unless you are doing content creation..

Startup is actually slower on NVME drives, than SATA are.

Not sure if this is the case for the 950 Pro, but I know it was for the SM951, where it would throttle down to speeds of like 70mbps, to cool down.

SEE http://www.anandtech.com/show/9396/samsung-sm951-nvme-256gb-pcie-ssd-review/2 Not relevant for the NVME drive.

The 750 series is one of the WORST PCIE SSD's at regular user workloads (it's low queue depth performance is rather poor, and for gaming it's load times and overall boot times, especially the latter, is very often slower than EVEN standard sata SSD's due to a massively increased overhead.)

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/PCIe-SSD-Roundup-Samsung-SM951-NVMe-vs-AHCI-XP941-SSD-750-and-More/Sequential-Perfor

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-750-series-ssd,4096-4.html

Note that the latter two reviews use the ACHI version of the SM951, a version in every way worse than the sm951 NVME drive (not by huge margins, but notable), and includes issues such as thermal throttling if relevant.

AND they compared it to the 1.2 TB 750 series, which is notably much faster than the 400 TB model. I cannot disrecommend the 750 series ssd enough for regular users, IT SIMPLY ISN'T MADE FOR YOU, and the performance often shows it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

STILL BETTER THAN THE 750 BY A MILE IN GENERAL USE

Until it melts.

Until it melts.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9396/samsung-sm951-nvme-256gb-pcie-ssd-review/2

Not going to happen.

"Without the heatsink the SM951 can sustain peak throughput for about two minutes, which may not sound long but at 1.5GB/s that would translate to 180GB of data written and obviously such massive transfers are very rare."

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Not going to happen.

"Without the heatsink the SM951 can sustain peak throughput for about two minutes, which may not sound long but at 1.5GB/s that would translate to 180GB of data written and obviously such massive transfers are very rare."

What if he buys it, loses the silicon lottery, and the think melts in his $2300 system?

What if he buys it, loses the silicon lottery, and the think melts in his $2300 system?

And you worry about macbook air cpu's from melting? (because thermal throttling exists EXPLICITLY to ensure this does not occur.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

And you worry about macbook air cpu's from melting? (because thermal throttling exists EXPLICITLY to ensure this does not occur.)

then whats the point in buying it if it doesn't always work the way it is suppose to?

then whats the point in buying it if it doesn't always work the way it is suppose to?

omg.... WITH THERMAL THROTTLING INCLUDED IT STILL BEATS THE 750 SERIES (in the areas it beat it in the first place) AND IT ONLY THERMAL THROTTLES UNDER MASSIVE WORKLOADS (see 180 GB continous transfer).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

omg.... WITH THERMAL THROTTLING INCLUDED IT STILL BEATS THE 750 SERIES (in the areas it beat it in the first place) AND IT ONLY THERMAL THROTTLES UNDER MASSIVE WORKLOADS (see 180 GB continous transfer).

Ugh...

when things chips get hot, they begin to bit-rot faster.

Either way, the 750 is better, due to its enterprise class quality.

Not going to happen.

"Once we noticed that the drive was throttling we stopped our testing and did some investigating on the SM951. With the drive in a used very dirty state we logged the drives temperature during a 15 minute sequential write and found that in just just 130 seconds that our drive went from an idle temperature of 35C to the throttle point of 82C! Our performance went from being ~1500MB/s all they way down to 70MB/s during the throttle as a way to cool the drive down by what we are guessing is a short term cut in power and operations on the controller. This impacted all of our performance numbers, so we tossed out a days worth of benchmarking and started over with better cooling.

Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-sm951-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-review_161689/3#xziVTsYLCjR4pi3C.99"

samsung-sm951-heat-issue-645x521.jpg

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

"Once we noticed that the drive was throttling we stopped our testing and did some investigating on the SM951. With the drive in a used very dirty state we logged the drives temperature during a 15 minute sequential write and found that in just just 130 seconds that our drive went from an idle temperature of 35C to the throttle point of 82C! Our performance went from being ~1500MB/s all they way down to 70MB/s during the throttle as a way to cool the drive down by what we are guessing is a short term cut in power and operations on the controller. This impacted all of our performance numbers, so we tossed out a days worth of benchmarking and started over with better cooling.

Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-sm951-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-review_161689/3#xziVTsYLCjR4pi3C.99"

I've read it. The anandtech review agrees, but it still isn't relevant AT ALL. 130 seconds of peak sequential writes is 195 GB. How often are you transfering 195 GB data files?

Also if you read the comment they don't say how short of a time it throttled down to 70 MB/s before resuming and if you look at the long term performance even with thermal throttling included, in mixed IO none insane queue depth, the overall performance delta was a max of 5% and STILL beat the 750 series.

This review doesn't use any fancy cooling at all so it cannot be claimed to be fake or anything (and the case being used is a pretty hot one, low air flow Carbide 330R).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9396/samsung-sm951-nvme-256gb-pcie-ssd-review/5

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9396/samsung-sm951-nvme-256gb-pcie-ssd-review/6

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Am I wrong? But the 950 Pro isn't released until October - I haven't seen a real world test of thermal limits. And the 951 is AHCI stack - so may be a little unfair to compare I believe.

FYI the Intel 750 has a 25Watt draw and has heat sinks designed to dissipate 70C

The 950 pro has a 9 watt draw - no idea of how hot it gets, but physics dictates...

I'd like to see the real world results, and cost, when it's released - cause even I'm interested.

bump

Why would you bumb when the question has clearly been answered?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

• 2 weeks later...

Am I wrong? But the 950 Pro isn't released until October - I haven't seen a real world test of thermal limits. And the 951 is AHCI stack - so may be a little unfair to compare I believe.

FYI the Intel 750 has a 25Watt draw and has heat sinks designed to dissipate 70C

The 950 pro has a 9 watt draw - no idea of how hot it gets, but physics dictates...

I'd like to see the real world results, and cost, when it's released - cause even I'm interested.

Why would you bumb when the question has clearly been answered?

samsung 950 pro is faster than samsung sm 951 nvme right ?

and isnt samsung sm 951 nvme faster than intel 750 ?

samsung 950 pro is faster than samsung sm 951 nvme right ?

and isnt samsung sm 951 nvme faster than intel 750 ?

That remains to be tested, they're being released on Friday in Australia.

Theoretically they should run the same speed, the only real difference I believe I the VNAND being used. But they do claim to be the fastest.

"Seems like" it'll be faster than the 750 on small files, so good for an OS. And will definitely boot faster... The 750 have been having hassles with reasonable boot times. Sounds like a bios issue.

Overall, when running, the 750 should be faster though. I'll benchmark when mines installed.

for 

That remains to be tested, they're being released on Friday in Australia.

Theoretically they should run the same speed, the only real difference I believe I the VNAND being used. But they do claim to be the fastest.

"Seems like" it'll be faster than the 750 on small files, so good for an OS. And will definitely boot faster... The 750 have been having hassles with reasonable boot times. Sounds like a bios issue.

Overall, when running, the 750 should be faster though. I'll benchmark when mines installed.

for daily usage is Read Write speed more important or IOPS ?

for 

This depends on file sizes & usage. Sorry dude, no one answer.

for 

This might help you out: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-the-real-world-SSD-speed-index/42

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.