What do I do when my new PC arrives?

ericlindstrom

Hey!

So, I've ordered a PC to be built and shipped to me from Inet.se (Swedish site) and I was thinking... what do I do when it first arrives? What software do I get (drivers, anti-virus etc). I'm a complete beginner so please, give any advice, no matter how obvious it might seem to you!

Thanks!

(http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DNZ3pg)

I'm not sure how they perform their builds - do you know if they install drivers and OSes for you?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ninite.com

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I normally go on this website to get some of the most default programs: https://ninite.com  :D

It makes a pack of the programs you chose and installs them super easy.

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

1000w psu? that's a little overkill 650w would have been fine.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

1000 watt? Uhm, okay.

Jump on Ninite and install all of your programs. Then jump on the nvidia site and install the latest drivers.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I'm not sure how they perform their builds - do you know if they install drivers and OSes for you?

Not sure about drivers, but they install the OS

1000w psu? that's a little overkill 650w would have been fine.

People on here helped me with the list, as I said I have no experience haha. Plus, overkill doesn't hurt right?

You ensure you have all the latest drivers, u get an antivirus, your favourite browser, steam, vlc or other media player, you customize your desktop settings (colour scheme etc.) And you are pretty ready to rock n roll.

Anything else will come to your mind as you go :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I normally go on this website to get some of the most default programs: https://ninite.com  :D

It makes a pack of the programs you chose and installs them super easy.

Okay, thanks!

Hey!

So, I've ordered a PC to be built and shipped to me from Inet.se (Swedish site) and I was thinking... what do I do when it first arrives? What software do I get (drivers, anti-virus etc). I'm a complete beginner so please, give any advice, no matter how obvious it might seem to you!

Thanks!

build

boot into bios

install drivers (www.ninite.com)

enjoy

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

You ensure you have all the latest drivers, u get an antivirus, your favourite browser, steam, vlc or other media player, you customize your desktop settings (colour scheme etc.) And you are pretty ready to rock n roll.

Anything else will come to your mind as you go :)

Hey!

Thanks!

-Open Internet Explorer

-Download Chrome

-Download Graphics/Chipset/wifi or whatever drivers (in Germany they often do this for you and sometimes even test the system) 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

-Open Internet Explorer

-Download Chrome

-Download Graphics/Chipset/wifi or whatever drivers (in Germany they often do this for you and sometimes even test the system) 

lol, thanks :)

1000 watt? Uhm, okay.

Jump on Ninite and install all of your programs. Then jump on the nvidia site and install the latest drivers.

The 1000W was suggested by people on here, I am as I said a complete beginner. Thanks :)

Okay, thanks!

programs I install on all my clients pcs

vlc

k-codec pack

picasa

chrome

maxthon

foxit pdf

libreoffice

ccleaner

silverlight

foobar2000

java (been cutting back on this)

imgburn (if the pc has a optical drive)

elby virtual drive

hostman (for updating/managing blocking host file)

filemenu tools

agent ransack

notepad++

7zip or winrar..or both

vuze (depends on the type of client)

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

programs I install on all my clients pcs

vlc

k-codec pack

picasa

chrome

maxthon

foxit pdf

libreoffice

ccleaner

silverlight

foobar2000

java (been cutting back on this)

imgburn (if the pc has a optical drive)

elby virtual drive

hostman (for updating/managing blocking host file)

filemenu tools

agent ransack

notepad++

7zip or winrar..or both

vuze (depends on the type of client)

And what of all this do I need? lol. I only recognize a few of these programs

And what of all this do I need? lol. I only recognize a few of these programs

technically depending on what you do on the pc...you would need most of them

technically depending on what you do on the pc...you would need most of them

Damn, alright... got some research to do then. Thank you!

vlc= video player

k-codec pack=video player

picasa=pictures editor and viewer

chrome=browser

maxthon=browser

foxit pdf=pdf opening

libreoffice=free "good enough office"

ccleaner=junk cleaner

silverlight=browser plugin

foobar2000=audio player

java (been cutting back on this)=browser plugin/program dependecny

imgburn (if the pc has a optical drive)=disc copier/ripper

elby virtual drive=what it says

hostman (for updating/managing blocking host file)=ad block

filemenu tools=windows plugin to make certain tasks simpler

agent ransack=search program 

notepad++=better then other text editors

7zip or winrar..or both=archivers

vuze (depends on the type of client)=downloader

People on here helped me with the list, as I said I have no experience haha. Plus, overkill doesn't hurt right?

Well yes, but I have almost the same config(using a r9 280 instead of a 970) and a Seasonic 650W Gold is enough :)

About what to do - I don't know how the company, which builds your pc, work, but personally after installing all the drivers I would stress test the CPU and GPU to see if everything is okay(Furmark and Aida64/Prime95(a while ago I think Prime95 used some strange instruction which caused the 4690k to get pretty hot, but I think they must have fixed that a year later)).

P.S. A quote for the Prime95:

... Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically extreme temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

It's not necessary to run AVX code for thermal testing. Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die...

@ericlindstrom

You ordered a really nice computer.  Don't worry about the PSU "overkill" comments.  The only thing you did was maybe pay about $20-30 more on that really nice unit. But who cares.. it's a small fraction of the overall price of the computer. 

What I would do with the computer, if i were you, is just start using it. Do whatever you want with it. Wait until there's something you can't do before you start slamming it with free software that you might not ever need. 

If there's something you want to do with it and you can't...  first, try to figure it out on your own. Search the web. If you still can't figure it out, come back to the forum and start a thread in the proper section. 

PS.  You got everything covered including mouse, keyboard, and display. But I'm curious what you use for sound. Headphones? Speakers? 

PPS.  Does the motherboard have built-in wifi, or are you going to use an ethernet cable?

It hurts the wallet

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

vlc= video player
k-codec pack=video player
picasa=pictures editor and viewer
chrome=browser
maxthon=browser
foxit pdf=pdf opening
libreoffice=free "good enough office"
ccleaner=junk cleaner
silverlight=browser plugin
foobar2000=audio player
java (been cutting back on this)=browser plugin/program dependecny
imgburn (if the pc has a optical drive)=disc copier/ripper
elby virtual drive=what it says
hostman (for updating/managing blocking host file)=ad block
filemenu tools=windows plugin to make certain tasks simpler
agent ransack=search program 
notepad++=better then other text editors
7zip or winrar..or both=archivers
vuze (depends on the type of client)=downloader

maxthon is not that great for a browser. I'd suggest vivaldi over it