Fans spinning to fast when not under-load and I can't control fan speed

Go to solution Solved by CaptainPebbleDash,

Make sure you followed all the correct instructions and put the CPU header into the CPU fan on the MB etc. Then download Corsair Link and you can manually adjust the RPMs through various modes like fixed, %, quiet, performance etc. You can also change the LED colour here. 

Are your case fan's also going fast or is it just the AIO?

My hardwear specs are as follows:

Asus Z-97A 3.1 Motherboard
i7-4790k 4.0 GHz Processor 

2 16 GB PNY DDR3 2133 Mhz dims

ASUS Strix GTX 970

corsair  H110i 

Im not including hard-drive(s).

Anyway the fans are always running at max speed no matter what I have them set to in the bios. And its regardless of cpu temp and cpu load. (like right now I'm at about 7% load and the fans are running at like 2k rpm. I have no idea what to do about this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Case fans, cpu fans or gpu fans?

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

you can use the asus fan xpert

or speedfan if you dont want the asus ai suite 3

also if it's pwm or not

Its all about those volumetric clouds

H110i fans (so cpu), also possibility case, the gpu fans only run under load.

also if it's pwm or not

They are all in PMW but regardless of what mode it hasn't made a difference.

you can use the asus fan xpert

or speedfan if you dont want the asus ai suite 3

Asus AI suite and Fan xpert I can't find downloads for.

I don't know how to use speedfan to adjust anything but looking at it my cpu is at 36C.

This is still unanswered and I was hoping someone could help me out.

Asus AI suite and Fan xpert I can't find downloads for.

I don't know how to use speedfan to adjust anything but looking at it my cpu is at 36C.

you can download ai suite 3 at asus' support site

go to https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97A/HelpDesk_Download/

select your OS and go to the utilities tab

download the latest version of ai suite 3

extract and run asussetup.exe

if you havent installed other asus drivers you should do so as well

• 3 weeks later...

you can download ai suite 3 at asus' support site

go to https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97A/HelpDesk_Download/

select your OS and go to the utilities tab

download the latest version of ai suite 3

extract and run asussetup.exe

if you havent installed other asus drivers you should do so as well

So I installed AI Suite 3 and it won't let me change anything for my cpu fans and they are currently running at about 2800 rpm, also it is stating that my cpu is at fluctuating 86-100 degrees F which I'm not sure if that is true of not, but I would think that it wouldn't be with two fans running at 2.9k rpm constantly. I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm going to try installing asus drivers but I doubt it will help. I'll update after I install them. 

Update: after installing drivers it did nothing, but just to show you what I mean there is this graphic: Link That basically shows the fact that I cant control the fan speeds at all, infact I'm not even sure they are reading the actual fans that I have installed, because after looking at the motherboard wiring the fans on the H110i are plugged in through a USB Header at the bottom of the board?? ? Not really sure if that is causing it plus I cant find the cpu fan header(s) at all?

So I installed AI Suite 3 and it won't let me change anything for my cpu fans and they are currently running at about 2800 rpm, also it is stating that my cpu is at fluctuating 86-100 degrees F which I'm not sure if that is true of not, but I would think that it wouldn't be with two fans running at 2.9k rpm constantly. I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm going to try installing asus drivers but I doubt it will help. I'll update after I install them. 

Update: after installing drivers it did nothing, but just to show you what I mean there is this graphic: Link That basically shows the fact that I cant control the fan speeds at all, infact I'm not even sure they are reading the actual fans that I have installed, because after looking at the motherboard wiring the fans on the H110i are plugged in through a USB Header at the bottom of the board?? ? Not really sure if that is causing it plus I cant find the cpu fan header(s) at all?

The USB header is just for Corsair Link (Hence the i in H110i). You have the fans plugged into the pump like how the manual says to? Otherwise plug the fans into the motherboard instead.

The pump is plugged into a SATA power and the other ends to the CPU Fan header / the pump? You might double check the connections to make sure nothings loose (I had loose cables screw me over a few times).

In the worse case scenario, your pump is off (no power) or is dead (It happens sometimes with AIOs).

Make sure you followed all the correct instructions and put the CPU header into the CPU fan on the MB etc. Then download Corsair Link and you can manually adjust the RPMs through various modes like fixed, %, quiet, performance etc. You can also change the LED colour here. 

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

I want to say thank you. I was originally going to build this pc myself, but my dad talked me into letting the people at frys do it. I highly regret letting them. They didn't install any of these drivers or any of the software that comes with the hardware. And if it was not for you telling me about Corsair Link this would have dragged on for so much longer. But it seems to be solved now and the fans are running at about 1.2k rmp I can hear them but its nothing too annoying. 

The USB header is just for Corsair Link (Hence the i in H110i). You have the fans plugged into the pump like how the manual says to? Otherwise plug the fans into the motherboard instead.

The pump is plugged into a SATA power and the other ends to the CPU Fan header / the pump? You might double check the connections to make sure nothings loose (I had loose cables screw me over a few times).

In the worse case scenario, your pump is off (no power) or is dead (It happens sometimes with AIOs).

The wiring is fine and the pump is working just fine too, I had already took it appart and checked I was just confused why the wires were going where they were going. But the pump is working at about 3k rpm and is not all that loud so that's good.

-snip-

Wow, that's a pretty poor job by Frys. Yeah, I thought the AIO would be run by PWM headers (Most AIOs plug the fans and pump directly into the mobo. I didn't know the i series AIO used Corsair Link for control. I was just really worried you had a DOA AIO (It happens).

I want to say thank you. I was originally going to build this pc myself, but my dad talked me into letting the people at frys do it. I highly regret letting them. They didn't install any of these drivers or any of the software that comes with the hardware. And if it was not for you telling me about Corsair Link this would have dragged on for so much longer. But it seems to be solved now and the fans are running at about 1.2k rmp I can hear them but its nothing too annoying. 

The wiring is fine and the pump is working just fine too, I had already took it appart and checked I was just confused why the wires were going where they were going. But the pump is working at about 3k rpm and is not all that loud so that's good.

Sorry for the late reply, my bad.

Yeah it can be stressful and quite annoying to build them and it can take a couple of days but its 100% worth it. People just cant understand that PC's arent some car engine haha.

I'd recommend putting the pump on quiet and the fans on quiet and seeing what your temperaturss are like.

Any questions or issues just feel free to PM me.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT