Need some career advice.

Dimetime35c

I'm wanting to get outta my current dead end job and into the IT field. I know what I'm looking for in a job but don't know if there is one for it. Also I'm worried that once I get into IT and do it for a living I'll eventually hate it. I have a deep passion for gaming and building pcs. I would love to find a job where I get to work with others that share that passion. I want to help others build and upgrade there gaming rigs and work where I can stay up to date on the latest and greatest tech. I'm just afraid as I said that doing that day in and day out I'll eventually lose that love I have for pcs and gaming. Any advice on what I should do????

Your best bet is working with professional modders or not at all, there's not really money in "building pcs."

Just keep it as a side hobby or a small part time job at best.

Your best bet is working with professional modders or not at all, there's not really money in "building pcs."

Who said there isn't, from where do you think Linus got his lambo? /s

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

All I will say is, where there is passion, there is success.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

you can make a lot of money from building pcs, a lottttt, you just have to have the dedication, time and patience.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

There is enough in IT so that you don't stay on one thing too long, but the real careers are in enterprise products, virtualization, cloud, database, hardware is only getting less complex to manage, anybody can manage a server,storage and networking with a bit of training, but that is a good starting place. 

I'm wanting to get outta my current dead end job and into the IT field. I know what I'm looking for in a job but don't know if there is one for it. Also I'm worried that once I get into IT and do it for a living I'll eventually hate it. I have a deep passion for gaming and building pcs. I would love to find a job where I get to work with others that share that passion. I want to help others build and upgrade there gaming rigs and work where I can stay up to date on the latest and greatest tech. I'm just afraid as I said that doing that day in and day out I'll eventually lose that love I have for pcs and gaming. Any advice on what I should do????

Become a Chemical Engineer.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Just keep it as a side hobby or a small part time job at best.

Who said there isn't, from where do you think Linus got his lambo? /s

if Linus has a lambo, I need to seriously start you tubing, twitching, podcasting....

Career advice: Networking #1 it's all about who you know and where you are, if you're like me in the middle of nowwhereville, you'll never have a tech job, and if you don't know anybody in the tech field, just forget about it, if you live in a major city, and know people in the tech field, you're set.

#2 Degree, if y don't have the degree to prove you're a SuperGeekGenius, then they'll hire an Asian or Indian guy who has the degree over you, whoever is the most qualified, not who gives the best interview.

#3 preparation: I would extensively research the company you're applying for and find out what it is exactly they are working in right now if possible etc. that way hen you interview for the job you can name drop things they are "actually" looking for instead of the generic resume crap.

I have a good friend who works for IBM here in Raleigh, North Carolina (Research Triangle Park RTP) and could point you in the right direction, Epic studios (gears of war, unreal tournament engine) right here in Raleigh.

Just off the top of my head @Dimetime35c

if Linus has a lambo, I need to seriously start you tubing, twitching, podcasting....

Career advice: Networking #1 it's all about who you know and where you are, if you're like me in the middle of nowwhereville, you'll never have a tech job, and if you don't know anybody in the tech field, just forget about it, if you live in a major city, and know people in the tech field, you're set.

#2 Degree, if y don't have the degree to prove you're a SuperGeekGenius, then they'll hire an Asian or Indian guy who has the degree over you, whoever is the most qualified, not who gives the best interview.

#3 preparation: I would extensively research the company you're applying for and find out what it is exactly they are working in right now if possible etc. that way hen you interview for the job you can name drop things they are "actually" looking for instead of the generic resume crap.

I have a good friend who works for IBM here in Raleigh, North Carolina (Research Triangle Park RTP) and could point you in the right direction, Epic studios (gears of war, unreal tournament engine) right here in Raleigh.

Just off the top of my head.

What type of degree? I'm going to be taking classes this spring to get my comptia A+ certification. I kinda wanna work at like microcenter in the system building section, or in the back doing tech repair. Just a place I can use my knowledge of pcs to help other gamers build there dream rigs.

What type of degree? I'm going to be taking classes this spring to get my comptia A+ certification. I kinda wanna work at like microcenter in the system building section, or in the back doing tech repair. Just a place I can use my knowledge of pcs to help other gamers build there dream rigs.

Go work for Dell or hp slapping together office PCs

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

you can make a lot of money from building pcs, a lottttt, you just have to have the dedication, time and patience.

No, you really can't. That's why we don't see custom boutiques anymore.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

No money in that plus the market is flooded with dirtbags doing that kind of work.

No, you really can't. That's why we don't see custom boutiques anymore.

And how would you know? Have you tried it yourself? Doubt not.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

And how would you know? Have you tried it yourself? Doubt not.

The money is in servicing pcs, its not rocket science.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just off the top of my head @Dimetime35c

It's a joke, he has a 2003 civic.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

All I will say is, where there is passion, there is success.

This.

If you want to get more into the system building scene ( or anything else for that matter) start to network and socialize with people around you that do that sort of thing. Go find events and meet ups. Building a strong network of people can be significantly more helpful than what degree you have sometimes. 

Each day i am dealing with complex datacenter issues answering questions of customers, replacing hardware upgrading software.

If i have long days and have to work overtime i don't want to use the computer anymore when i come home. But the next day when i am having a normal day i love to do some tech research and gaming.

This is also a way for me to relax and release some steam even when i am full time behind the pc.

Don't you just love tech?