Noctua NH-D15 vs AIO?

CC268

Hey guys,

Here is the build that I am hoping to do fairly soon. This will be my first desktop build. I may change the motherboard to the ASUS Hero VIII (not that is really matters for this discussion).

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CC268/saved/gckKHx

I would like to do a cool red and black build, but I am worried that the Noctua NH-D15 will sort of ruin the color scheme since it covers the RAM, covers so much of the motherboard, and is that weird brown color. For this reason I have though about going with an AIO cooler, but I have no idea what to look at as I have mostly been researching air coolers.

Any suggestions, ideas, help, etc?

Thanks!

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

NZXT Kraken X61!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

they perform about the same, however, the noctua is a little quieter.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

don't get an AIO. the nh d15 is superior in 99% of things. For aesthetics AIOs win hands down though.

Also the nh d15 will last way longer and doesn't have the water cooling risks.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

NH-D15

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

If you want ultimate silence go with noctua

If you want more better looks go with kraken

They have the same cooling performance

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Omfg don't dare get an AIO the nh d15 is superior in 99% of things. For aesthetics AIOs win hands down though.

noctua ugly doe

x61 or H110iGTX will perform bettwe than the NH-D15

the D15 is similar in performance to a 240mm AiO

a 280mm aio is better

if you want a good air cooler instead of an aio, the bequiet dark rock 3 is very good too and its black :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had a Noctua d15. I hated the bastard, warped my motherboard. I say get a h100i or the kraken!

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

noctua ugly doe

It is, however if you throw some red LED fans on there it looks pretty snazzy.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

A decent AIO will outperform the NH-D15 in most cases by a certain margin. For me the AIOs are much more practical since they take the bulk and put it to the side (or the top, as the case may be), really they just get the heatsink out of the way. Makes rearranging things a lot easier in my opinion. And they don't need the huge backplate and a sturdy motherboard to hold them up. There are a lot of motherboards that will bow under the Noctua because of its weight if not supported correctly.

It is, however if you throw some red LED fans on there it looks pretty snazzy.

Like any other fans perform then dem noctua 

Oh wait I say blue white led's!

Noctua is more silent and offers great cooling capabilities, but good airflow in your case is a must.

I swapped my NH-D15 for an AIO - the H110i GTX due to my aftermarket gpu cooler having a large backplate which acted as a heatsink, preventing me from using my top PCI-E port, as the NH-D15 was in the way. The AIO is slightly better at cooling but the fans are noisy as fuck. I've got some replacement Noctua fans on the way to alleviate that issue.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Tough decision...I just feel like the Noctua will ruin the aesthetics of my build?

I mean honestly if performance is similar then I may go AIO for the aesthetics of it.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

Well I am going to do some research on water coolers...if I go with air cooling I will go with the Cryorig R1 with the red casing for aesthetics.

Well I am going to do some research on water coolers...if I go with air cooling I will go with the Cryorig R1 with the red casing for aesthetics.

AIO coolers will perform the same as each other with margin of error, the physical size of the radiator is what will make the most difference. Unless you're overclocking balls to the walls then it really doesn't matter what you buy as a big air cooler or AIO won't take you as far as a custom loop speaking from experience with stable overclocks at 5ghz with more than 1.6v.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I had a Noctua d15. I hated the bastard, warped my motherboard. I say get a h100i or the kraken!

It warped your mobo? I know the thing is damn heavy, can I see a picture?

What motherboard?

It warped your mobo? I know the thing is damn heavy, can I see a picture?

What motherboard?

I don't have a picture of it, but it was bending/warping the middle into the the motherboard tray. Overall causing the bord to short every time it tried to boot up. Once I took it off and used and removed the pressure with an aio it fixed everything, but my board has a little bit of so there. Asus sabertooth Mark 2

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I don't have a picture of it, but it was bending/warping the middle into the the motherboard tray. Overall causing the bord to short every time it tried to boot up. Once I took it off and used and removed the pressure with an aio it fixed everything, but my board has a little bit of so there. Asus sabertooth Mark 2

It warped a mark 2?! How? That motherboard has a really thick backplate.

The motherboard works fine now with an AIO?

It warped a mark 2?! How? That motherboard has a really thick backplate.

The motherboard works fine now with an AIO?

It's the armor less mobo. And yes, it works fine now with an aio. I tried just resetting the board back into the case, but the d15 still kept making it short out.
Spoiler

Main Rig

Plex Server WIP

Lenovo Legion Laptop

Like I said...if I go with aircooling it will be the CryOrig R1 as it has very similar performance to the Noctua and looks way better...but I think I may go with an AIO like the Corsair h110i GT