Why would Microsoft give Windows 10 for free?

c00face

I was thinking this for a while. And then I finally realize and came to the conclusion why they would give Windows 10 for free to whoever can upgrade their PC. It forces the hand of developers to make software and hardware compability with Windows 10. Already, I'm receiving updates on my AMD drivers as of this morning, and I'm sure it has to do with Windows 10. With more developers having their hands on Windows 10, it gives user access to use Windows 10 as their OS and platform of choice. In turn, this will almost naturally defeat the competition because why would you want to build or develop anything on any other OS, when you already have Windows 10 and you got it for free?

I really like to believe, because of this move by Microsoft, maybe it'll force Apple to release some of their platform and software for free or for a free upgrade. I'm not sure if they already did or have, but yea, cool stuff.

They just want more adoption of it, Windows 8 failed in that aspect so they want to move people who are still on 7 to the 10.

I really like to believe, because of this move by Microsoft, maybe it'll force Apple to release some of their platform and software for free or for a free upgrade. I'm not sure if they already did or have, but yea, cool stuff.

OSX updates are free, you don't need to buy a new version of the OS.

Doesnt really matter, theyre still gonna make millions on their Enterprise OS

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Doesnt really matter, theyre still gonna make millions on their Enterprise OS

If anything, giving it away free to consumers is going to get/keep more people comfortable with Windows (10) as it's their daily driver, so enterprises will be that much more likely to spend their money on Windows (10) that their workforce is already familiar with.

Jut like the others said and also MS is being good on the fact that so many disliked Win8.0 they are doing a 1up to get on the masses good side again. Trying to improve the reputation that the previous CEO crapped on.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I figured they just felt so bad over windows 8 that they gave us 10 free as a way of saying "Sorry Bro"

So people aren't left on an OS that will eventually lose all support, and be open to many issues and exploits. Also so they have consumers on the latest OS they have available so they shouldn't have to worry about something they want not being supported due to running such a dated operating system. I like it personally since I didn't have to go drop $100+ on a new OS from Windows 7. 7 years on a OS and now more years to come technically on that same key. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Don't forget this is the first Windows version since Windows Vista that doesn't start with the number 6. This could give some problems, no matter what Ars Technica says http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/why-windows-10-isnt-version-6-any-more-and-why-it-will-probably-work/

For example, I can't get Trackmania Nations ESWC working, even when I select Windows Vista or XP compatibilty mode.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Not to mention Windows 7 and 8.1 are doing their job just fine, I'm sure most people isn't going to cash out a good amount of money just to upgrade their OS.

I'm just guessing, but I think Microsoft makes their money from new licences while the number upgrades are insignificant.

If they're not going to make a lot of money off it, why not just use it as PR and get as many as possible on board?

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

For one reason and one reason only:

Developers are cash cows. A laptop with full MSDN costs a business tens of thousands of pounds to deploy. MSDN software kits are literally £24,000 and over.

Plus, if Microsoft can get a billion users on Windows 10, just think how attractive this is to developers. They would be buying these developer subscriptions nothing like we've seen before.

Just think how developers would be developing these "universal" apps which would not only help Windows but Windows Phone as well.

When a large company releases free software, usually the user is the product.

Microsoft will probably make more money selling your data to their "trusted partners" than they would by selling you the OS.