How to disable Windows 10 Data Logging (from Redit)

Loads of good information in here to help keep your private data private. I did a quick search and couldn't see this posted previously.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10/

There's been a lot of commotion over W10's privacy terms. I'm sure these methods can change/improve at any time, but here's a guide which should hopefully give you a relatively more private, safe experience, however at the risk of not being able to enjoy some of W10's features.

Before/During Installation

• Do not use Express Settings. Hit Customize, and make sure everything is turned off.
  • It's strongly preferred that you use a local account with Windows 10.

After Installation

• Head to Settings > Privacy, and disable everything, unless there are some things you really need.
  • While within the Privacy page, go to Feedback, select Never in the first box, and Basic in the second box.
  • Head to Settings > Update and Security > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered, and turn the first switch off.
  • Disable Cortana by clicking the Search bar/icon.
  • (Optional) Disable web search in Search by going to Settings, and turning off Search online and include web results.

Slightly Complex

• Open up the Command Prompt by launching cmd as an administrator, and enter the following:
sc delete DiagTrack
sc delete dmwappushservice
echo "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
  • Open up the Group Policy Editor by launching gpedit.msc as an administrator. Go through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds. Double click Telemetry, hit Disabled, then apply. NOTE: This only truly works in the Enterprise edition, but the final step provides a decent enough workaround for Pro users.

• While still in the Group Policy Editor, go through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive, double click Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage, hit Enabled, then apply.

• While still in the Group Policy Editor, go through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender, double click Turn Off Windows Defender, hit Enabled, then apply.

• Open up the Registry Editor by launching regedit as an administrator. Go through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection, select AllowTelemetry, change its value to 0, then apply.

• First, download the Take Ownership tweak and enable it. Then, head to the Hosts File by going through C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc, take ownership of the hosts file, and add all of the IPs from this page into the file.

Up To You

• Replace Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer with Firefox, Chromium, or any forks/variations of them.
  • Replace Windows Media Player with VLC or MPC-HC
  • Replace Groove Music with Foobar2000, Winamp, or MusicBee.
  • Replace Photos/Windows Photo Viewer with ImageGlass or IrfanView.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Yet another reason i was waiting to update. Now i can have my privacy... but with bugs! Time to wait another month or two.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I'm actually laughing that you need to do this in the first place. 

OperationFreeWindows10DataMiningScandal. 

in before #windowGates

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Isn't this the same with 8.1, like you when you setup, it ask for what information you want to share with Microsoft.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I wonder what you can and cannot disable on versions other than enterprise and PRO...

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Yet another reason i was waiting to update. Now i can have my privacy... but with bugs! Time to wait another month or two.

I actually haven't had many problems with it at all. Ran the upgrade, not a clean install and so far only one app needed to be reinstalled. Everything else just worked.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

A video for turning most things off. You can include it in the OP.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Thanks for posting!

I did everything but adding the IP. How do I do that, exactly?

EDIT

Great...it broke my install, and my Win7 Install. Made Win10 in an "unsafe state" and cannot be booted. Damn it. I should have used clonezilla. xD Anyone know how to fix the "NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" boot error for Win10?

EDIT

Ubuntu claims it is in a hibernation or hasn't completed a shutdown. Not sure what that means as all I did was restart.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Thanks for posting!

I did everything but adding the IP. How do I do that, exactly?

EDIT

Great...it broke my install, and my Win7 Install. Made Win10 in an "unsafe state" and cannot be booted. Damn it. I should have used clonezilla. xD Anyone know how to fix the "NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" boot error for Win10?

EDIT

Ubuntu claims it is in a hibernation or hasn't completed a shutdown. Not sure what that means as all I did was restart.

There is nothing in this guide that should cause a problem like that. Only thing i can think is if you didn't take ownership of the hosts file before editing it that you might have saved it as a txt, which it is not. that file should have no extension.

I wonder what you can and cannot disable on versions other than enterprise and PRO...

On home you don't have access to gpedit, so there's a few bits in there.

You forgot to:

- Unplug your webcam

- Unplug your microphone,

- Close your windows and blinds/curtains

- Close all wireless communications!

- Remove battery from all types of cellular phones!

- Break all tablets!

- Protect all children!

- Seal all doors shut!

- Activate red alert signal!!

- Prepare all phasers!!

- Activate shield!!!

- Attach all seat belts!!!!

I love that, after all this, you recommend to use Chrome, and no mention on how to avoid Android with Google total spying, and also suggesting wrong actions, without knowing anything about, like not using Windows Media Player, and the picture viewer of Windows.

I would highly recommend you READ the Microsoft privacy policy in FULL, here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/Default.aspx

As you can see, Microsoft only has what you put in their services. Meaning Credit card information for your store purchases (because they need to, banks requires it, and they need to keep track of this for their finances, required by government for taxes and for financial audits), e-mails (if you use Outlook.com email service), Calendar (if you put stuff in your outlook.com service), personal files, if you put them in OneDrive. It is not there to spy you. It is there to get you the service.

The only data being collected are:

-> Telemetry data, which is not to identify you, but rather know what people are using on their OS. This is not new, since Windows XP Microsoft collects this. This also includes hardware specs. This is how Microsoft can evaluate how to make the OS be just right for current systems, and how Microsoft can come and say: "yea, almost no one uses their DVD player anymore to play DVD movies, and no one uses Media Center, let's kill those off", and "There are an increase number of users with multiple monitors, let invest time and money on improving multiple monitor support". You can pick how much you want to give as information or not (Basic, enhanced, full, which again contains no information to identify you)

-> Advertisement. Since Windows 8, there is an an ID being generated with your account local or not, which associate you with interests based on previous ads you click and what you download/use from the Windows App Store, and enter in Cortana service (if enabled - disabled by default), as interest or search the web (not your files/programs) with Cortana for targeted ads.

-> System and programs crash reports.

-> Speech (for Cortana better understanding you so that it works with you and you don't have to fight with it), Ink (for hand writhing recognition for better ink to text conversion) and Typing (for the spell check). This can be disabled in Privacy settings. All is in 1 option. Typing and Ink tracking used to be included in Office for the longest time (I think since Office 2003? or even before, maybe Office XP). And everyone was fine and continues to be fine.

While you can't disable either of the above, you can go to Settings > Privacy > General, and form there you can turn off and clear your advertisement ID, and you can click on "Manage my Microsoft advertisement and other personal info" link to get you to a page where you can disable targeted ads. These instructions are the same for Windows 8.

Chrome and Google services, including Android doesn't have such features.

Also, something you ignore, your account needs to be a Microsoft account for the free upgrade if you want to re-install the OS.

Other tracking information not mentioned in my posts is system specs for the activation system, and for managing your devices for being able to use purchase apps between your devices, including in-app purchases (up to 10 device).

You can read more about it, including how to manage them, here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/410816-mini-news-windows-10-app-store-install-limit-detailed/

Another thing, is that Edge itself doesn't track what you visit unlike Chrome. Only if you use the built-in Cortana.

Please use common sense.

Oh noes, Microsoft want to understand how you use your computer so they can improve their services and software. Better break out the tinfoil hat...

wpid-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Also recommends Chrome in a post about disabling data collection, lmao.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Dupe, pls delete

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)