W10 key? Will it just be my 8.1 key or will I get a new one?

bpw87

I believe it is blacklisted now, as it was for insiders.

But how?! 

But how?! 

Microsoft has a list of product keys that they find that were distributed illegally/they distributed for trial purposes and block them from being activated.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Microsoft has a list of product keys that they find that were distributed illegally/they distributed for trial purposes and block them from being activated.

Oh that make sense, i probably will call Microsoft to get more information about this. 

you need to upgrade, then clean install using the new key. Thats what worked for me 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

you need to upgrade, then clean install using the new key. Thats what worked for me 

You don't have to do that, you can try to see if it work by click " change product key"

install windows 8.1 clean then upgrade only way sorry to say

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Yes

Yup, you have to use some kind of hack application to dig that Windows 10 key up boy, because i believe is located somewhere in registry or somewhere that are complicated. 

I read somewhere that Microsoft is flashing it to the chip or MOBO, but not sure.

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

I read somewhere that Microsoft is flashing it to the chip or MOBO, but not sure.

If that is true then it would save tons of us that have messy room were you can lose license key paper easily. 

just type this command in command prompt or powershell, it will display your Windows 10 key

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

typing that in command prompt does not work for me. It thinks for a moment then the c:\users\sean> reappears

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

I know what you mean and that would be nice imo. but I would still like to have a hard copy of the key cause I was planning on changing out parts on my other build from AMD to Intel.

I know what you mean and that would be nice imo. but I would still like to have a hard copy of the key cause I was planning on changing out parts on my other build from AMD to Intel.

Support told me you have to go through your old os and do the upgrade over again if you swap something major out ala mobo or cpu. Stupid yes, yes it is.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Support told me you have to go through your old os and do the upgrade over again if you swap something major out ala mobo or cpu. Stupid yes, yes it is.

I just talked to them to and asked about upgrades to components. they told me to do the upgrades of the hardware first then do the upgrade to windows 10. I was told that if I upgrade to 10 first then make hardware changes (I asked about changing from AMD chip to Intel chip and Intel MOBO) I would have to buy windows to that I would not be able to retro grade to a previous version of windows then upgrade back to 10. So much for the CEO of Microsoft saying that windows 10 is free and you will be able to do a clean install if necessary. Oh they also told me that the windows 10 upgrade does NOT have a product key code. the only way to get a product key code is to go buy windows 10.

typing that in command prompt does not work for me. It thinks for a moment then the c:\users\sean> reappears

Did you run command prompt as admin?  If you don't want to use 3rd party programs the script below will work in power shell. just follow these steps

1. Copy script in notepad and save it to your desktop with the .ps1 extention

2. open power shell as admin and type in the following command, Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned  a message will display below press y for yes and hit enter

3. in power shell enter the following command Import-Module C:\Users\*your user name*\Desktop\*name of notepad file you created*; Get-WindowsKey

I uploaded a photo showing you what it should look like, the productID and CD key will be below your username. I removed them from the photo for obvious reasons  :D

function Get-WindowsKey {

param ($targets = ".")

$hklm = 2147483650

$regPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"

$regValue = "DigitalProductId"

Foreach ($target in $targets) {

$productKey = $null

$win32os = $null

$wmi = [WMIClass]"\\$target\root\default:stdRegProv"

$data = $wmi.GetBinaryValue($hklm,$regPath,$regValue)

$binArray = ($data.uValue)[52..66]

$charsArray = "B","C","D","F","G","H","J","K","M","P","Q","R","T","V","W","X","Y","2","3","4","6","7","8","9"

## decrypt base24 encoded binary data

For ($i = 24; $i -ge 0; $i--) {

$k = 0

For ($j = 14; $j -ge 0; $j--) {

$k = $k * 256 -bxor $binArray[$j]

$binArray[$j] = [math]::truncate($k / 24)

$k = $k % 24

}

$productKey = $charsArray[$k] + $productKey

If (($i % 5 -eq 0) -and ($i -ne 0)) {

$productKey = "-" + $productKey

}

}

$win32os = Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem -computer $target

$obj = New-Object Object

$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Computer -value $target

$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Caption -value $win32os.Caption

$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty CSDVersion -value $win32os.CSDVersion