Is a 860 watt PSU right for this build?

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

You don't need an 860 watt unit for that build, even if you're overclocking. 650 watts will suffice just fine and then some.

Hi,

I'm at the point of finalising my Home theatre build and just wondering if anyone could give me a second opinion about Wattage of the Power Supply I've picked. My Current choice is " Corsair AX860 Platinum Power Supply " Will it be enough watts for these components?

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i

Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5

Memory: Kingston Hyper XFury HX318C10FRK2/16 (2X8GB)

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980ti G1 Gaming

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Hard drive: Western Digital Black 4TB 7200RPM

Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R Blu-ray Writer OEM

Cheers.

You don't need an 860 watt unit for that build, even if you're overclocking. 650 watts will suffice just fine and then some.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ok thanks for that feed back, I was just a little concerned about my GPU's 600watts Cooling system.

Ok thanks for that feed back, I was just a little concerned about my GPU's 600watts Cooling system.

That's heat dissipation capability and has nothing to do with power draw. Wattage is a unit used to measure energy.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's heat dissipation capability and has nothing to do with power draw. Wattage is a unit used to measure energy.

Ok thanks for the help mate, just was a little confused.

Cheers.

Hi,

I'm at the point of finalising my Home theatre build and just wondering if anyone could give me a second opinion about Wattage of the Power Supply I've picked. My Current choice is " Corsair AX860 Platinum Power Supply " Will it be enough watts for these components?

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero Motherboard

Memory: Kingston Hyper XFury HX318C10FRK2/16 (2X8GB)

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980ti G1 Gaming

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Hard drive: Western Digital Black 4TB 7200RPM

Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R Blu-ray Writer OEM

Cheers.

Nope. What I've heard is that almost all single cardd setups won't need more than 600w

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know I've to decided to go with EVGA G2 750w PSU thanks for all the feedback

If this is just a HTPC why do you need an i7 and a GTX 980 ti ?

If this is just a HTPC why do you need an i7 and a GTX 980 ti ?

Because he's rich, he likes to spend money on high tech stuffs. It like paying money for some girl to do slut things.  

Yeah, that's way more then enough :P Look at dis vid and see what a 860W psu can handle! A CPU twice as powerfull as yours, and a Titan X :o I think your in the green! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnfmeuOmXc

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

A 750w should be the optimal point for this build in my opinion. 860w would be somewhat overkill. But u should be okay though.