Thermal Throttling

I had my PC shipped to me last September, and it was a beefy lad. The first game I downloaded and played was Space Engineers (Steam), and I was ranging in frame rates from 100 to 150. After a few minutes of playing, video would freeze up and audio would still play, forcing me to shut down. After scrounging through other forums, I was recommended to turn down my CPU speed in AMD Catalyst. I bumped the speed down form 4.7 GHz to 4.5, and then put it back to 4.7. Since then, there has been no freezing... quite odd...

Thinking that my PC was in top shape, I started playing other games. The SIMS 4, 7 Days to Die, Skyrim, Planetside 2, and Red Orchestra were just a few (at this time, I only had two fans for case cooling and a water cooling unit for my processor). I started to notice a pattern of frame loss; for about twenty seconds or so, I would drop from 60+ FPS to about 5-10 FPS (that being twenty seconds of 5-10 FPS), then go back up to 60+ FPS for about fifteen seconds (that being 60+ FPS constant for fifteen seconds).

I had the though of my RAM being too low in speed or amount, considering my memory usage was almost 15% constant at just the desktop and 60-90% while playing games. Crawling through forums again, a lad had recommended I blow a desk fan into my PC to see what happens. I did this, and tested out a few games. I would run 60+ FPS for about thirty seconds now and only have the low time at 10-15 FPS for about ten seconds (in voxel based games, frames are vice versa). So, I went out and bought some 2400 RPM fans, and left it at that (I still had the frame rate issue on the extent described above).

Now, some funk... Using task manager during a 7 Days to Die session (running on ultra around 60 FPS) I noticed something odd. During the frame loss, memory was unaffected (70% usage), but CPU usage would drop from 50% to about 15%, and Disk usage would rise from 0% to about 5%. When it was all over and I was back to 60 FPS, the usage would be about 50% CPU, 70% Memory, 0% Disk, and 0% Network. Mind you, the frame drops happen at every graphical level on the affected games, just not on the intensity as Ultra or Very High. Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Red Orchestra, and Mount and Blade are totally unaffected by this frame loss situation...

>I believe you can see my PC specs in my profile
>I got my PC from Cyberpower
>I've not tampered with anything since, except for removing my GPU thinking it was the problem and getting it replaced 
>A friend had said it could be the lack of thermal paste on my CPU, knowing that the issue at hand is thermal throttling

Sorry for the Four-part Epic, but I didn't want to miss out on any detail. Any fix to my situation?  

Sir @KES7774, I can't help you with your problem.

But you receive my award for a sensible newcomer to the forum.

You gave details.

You gave specs.

You clarified the question.

You are amazing.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you.

- I do believe, everyone on the LTT forum.

EDIT: It's Cyberpower's PC, try calling them if nothing else helps. They are responsible.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

you had your pc shipped to you?

so did you make it, surely if it was custom built then you can contact the builders moreover it is less than a year old so your warranty should still be in place

Sir @KES7774, I can't help you with your problem.

But you receive my award for a sensible newcomer to the forum.

You gave details.

You gave specs.

You clarified the question.

You are amazing.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you.

- I do believe, everyone on the LTT forum.

I do so too welcome :D and sorry no i cant help you but try contaction cyberpower:D

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

Go down load a few apps.

Cpu-z(or any app that shows you the current speed)

Prime 95(or an app that stress tests the cpu)

Core temp(or anouther app that shows cpu tem)

Go run all these apps and look at the tems and clock speed under load if the cpu is over 90C in load of the clock lowers thermal throttling is happeing, otherwise it may be a psu problem(it could be a bad unit) or something else.

Call the company that you bought the system from if there a problem, that what you pay for when you buy a prebuilt.

Check temps on your CPU and GPU.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I made a video instead of trying to explain in text...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbAQ5IGqjvw

Please note the sheer drop in core performance during these downtimes. Audio also gets a syncing issue while this happens, and the inventory scene is quite evident...