radeon r9 390s vs 290

Alir

First, 290 - second gen. 390 - third gen. Am I getting this right?

I just found out that AMD have 390 GPUs. I assume it's an upgrade from the 290s?

In which case, which is better? 290s or the 390s.

I'm generalising because the X versions usually aren't all that much better and cost a lot more.

I'm going to be gaming and possibly at some point in the future will start mining.

390 if the price difference isn't big. It's more futureproof in a way, especially if you plan to add a second one in CrossFire later on.

GPU mining isn't really profitable anymore.

"Rawr XD"

The 390 is a rebrand of the 290. The only difference is that it has an extra 4gb of ram and is higher clocked out of the box. If the 290 is cheaper by more than 50$ then I would get the 290. 

Eh, 30 bucks, sure I'd go for the 390 for the extra VRAM, higher clock speeds and newer (and nicer imo) cooler.

Would the cooling be the same? Same or better temps on the 390?

I may not end up mining btw. Depends entirely on whether it is worth it.

Would I actually need the extra VRAM? I do plan on playing demanding games. But the 290 seems up for the task. If the 390 is just the same but with minor adjustments, would £30 even be worth it?

no.it just a rebrand so they are the same. 4gb are enough . but i would get the gtx 970.it overclocks so good and the TDP is much lower so less heat and most important less noise.

If you are going for a 290, I would highly suggest you take a look at your used market. You can usually get a stellar deal if you are looking for 290s since the market is full of them (or at least in Kijiji, Canada's used market). I got my 290X for $300CAD just before the AMD event / release of the new 300 series.

grab the 390 NITRO. The TRI-X OC 290 is a monster, but at 10 dollars difference you might aswel get a 390

To give you a hint of performance

GTX 970, we all know how it performs

390 NITRO > GTX970 = 290X/290 TRI-X OC > normal 290/Vapor X 290

If you are going for a 290, I would highly suggest you take a look at your used market. You can usually get a stellar deal if you are looking for 290s since the market is full of them (or at least in Kijiji, Canada's used market). I got my 290X for $300CAD just before the AMD event / release of the new 300 series.

Used GPUs, especially AMDs are usually used because they've been massively overclocked and used for mining 24/7

At least that's what I've heard.

I'm buying a brand new one hence.

grab the 390 NITRO. The TRI-X OC 290 is a monster, but at 10 dollars difference you might aswel get a 390

To give you a hint of performance

GTX 970, we all know how it performs

390 NITRO > GTX970 = 290X/290 TRI-X OC > normal 290/Vapor X 290

Last I checked 290s were better than 970s?

Used GPUs, especially AMDs are usually used because they've been massively overclocked and used for mining 24/7

No. 290, even when overclocked, just stayed equal to. 290X won some and lost some battles.

The reason for this is that the 200 series had a few issues with their VRAM usage. They didnt have the delta color compression that is built into the 300 series cards. This means they used their VRAM more inefficiently.

300 series also has more polished drivers, believe it or not.

the pecking order has always been 970=290X > 290.

With the exception of the MSI Lightning 290, and Sapphire TRI-X OC 290. These are slightly faster then a normal 290X. Thus 1-2% faster then standard 970. however 290X TRI-X OC or 970 FTW/SSC is faster then these aforementioned 290s still.

Used GPUs are well, used :blink: . Usually the seller will mention what he used for. And even if I give you the benefit of doubt, mining has died quickly after the 7000 series like someone said above, so most people who are selling their cards probably never used it for mining.

However, a card that is used for mining is perfectly fine and shouldn't be an issue. But again, most people don't mine these days anyway.

BTW, do you live in Canada? I could find some used 290s off Kijiji for you if you like :) . I bought my 290X from eBay though.

The 390 has twice as much vram. Also, it supports DX12. The more vram is better for high resolution rendering. DX12 Improves performance/communication between the GPU and the game.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

Would the cooling be the same? Same or better temps on the 390?

I think the Vapor-X would be better then the Nitro but not really that huge of a difference.

"Rawr XD"

The 390 has twice as much vram. Also, it supports DX12. The more vram is better for high resolution rendering. DX12 Improves performance/communication between the GPU and the game.

290 also supports DX12...

"Rawr XD"

Used GPUs are well, used :blink: . Usually the seller will mention what he used for. And even if I give you the benefit of doubt, mining has died quickly after the 7000 series like someone said above, so most people who are selling their cards probably never used it for mining.

However, a card that is used for mining is perfectly fine and shouldn't be an issue. But again, most people don't mine these days anyway.

BTW, do you live in Canada? I could find some used 290s off Kijiji for you if you like :) . I bought my 290X from eBay though.

Naa I live in the land of the Queen :P

First, 290 - second gen. 390 - third gen. Am I getting this right?

I just found out that AMD have 390 GPUs. I assume it's an upgrade from the 290s?

In which case, which is better? 290s or the 390s.

I'm generalising because the X versions usually aren't all that much better and cost a lot more.

Get the 390, its performing on par or sometimes better then the 290x. Since 290x>290, why would u get the 290?

Get the 390, its performing on par or sometimes better then the 290x. Since 290x>290, why would u get the 290?

290X is a lot more expensive. Hence why I was thinking about the 290.

But currently, Amazon have the 390 priced on par with the 290.

I assume it's only temporary to increase sales.

Also, what about http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00ZPOAYG6/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1436147777&sr=8-3&keywords=AMD+Radeon+R9+380&condition=new ? It's the same price as the sappire 390

290X is a lot more expensive. Hence why I was thinking about the 290.

But currently, Amazon have the 390 priced on par with the 290.

I assume it's only temporary to increase sales.

Also, what about http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00ZPOAYG6/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1436147777&sr=8-3&keywords=AMD+Radeon+R9+380&condition=new ? It's the same price as the sappire 390

That's what I'm saying. The 390>290x (most of the time) and the 290x>290. Since the price of the 390 = price of 290, just focus on getting the 390. 

I live in Singapore, here are the differences (ignore the clock speeds and stuff)

MSI R9 390:

• $559
  • Has a backplate
  • 3 years warranty
  • Dual fan cooler
  • 6-pin, 8-pin connector

Sapphire R9 390:

• $540
  • No backplate
  • 2 years warranty (you should probably check this, Taiwan has a 3 year warranty period)
  • triple fan cooler
  • Dual 8-pin connector

So there you go, the most obvious differences between the 2 cards (besides the clock speeds, they aren't super significant).

There aren't many benchmarks or reviews to compare the 2 cards' overclocking potential, but i assume the Sapphire card should overclock better because of the dual 8-pin connectors.

Huge dilemma looking at the differences, even for me and i'm not even buying it, haha. But if you were to put warranty periods equal i would get the Sapphire card, Sapphire has been known for their exceptional coolers. The card might be heavier though because of the triple fan setup, no backplate means the card might warp faster over time.

no way in hell. gtx 970 is better at everything.performance,OC,temps,noise(0db idle),TDP. heck the best 970(g1) is better than the best 290X(vaporx)