radeon r9 390s vs 290

Alir

I just purchased an XFX r9 390 after selling my XFX r9 290.  It runs cooler with a much higher clock(1100mhz at 60c-61c), comes with a sweet backplate, and the extra vram is always nice.

no way in hell. gtx 970 is better at everything.performance,OC,temps,noise(0db idle),TDP. heck the best 970(g1) is better than the best 290X(vaporx)

Yeah, but there is a new sweet spot card on the street:

290 also supports DX12...

Ik it's a late reply, but on new egg, it only says up to 11.2, unlike the 300 series.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

The latest video from JayzTwoCents, posted above actually shows it is better than the 970 in some of the benchmarks.  Hell, if I were in the market for the best performance per dollar video card, I would definitely be looking at the R9 390

I have a potato!

Ik it's a late reply, but on new egg, it only says up to 11.2, unlike the 300 series.

All GCN cards will support DX12. Older ones won't support all the features of DX12 but all of them will still get the performance benefit that you mentioned. 

"Rawr XD"

mining on your GPU is actually losing you money.  Think of it this way.  You will never make back what you spent, it wouldn't even pay for the cost of running the card, so all you are doing is killing it faster

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

no way in hell. gtx 970 is better at everything.performance,OC,temps,noise(0db idle),TDP. heck the best 970(g1) is better than the best 290X(vaporx)

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1355

idk where you get youre info but you seem to be largely misinformed.  The 290x costs less and beats the 970 in half the benchmarks and the 970 beats it on the other half. its its my 3-5 frames

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

Used GPUs, especially AMDs are usually used because they've been massively overclocked and used for mining 24/7

At least that's what I've heard.

I'm buying a brand new one hence.

Last I checked 290s were better than 970s?

The hell are you talking about there are a lot of cards out there not all of the amd cards used for mining are working anymore most of them are sold for parts, I know cause I know a few ASSHOLEs that mined, I gave them that nickname for driving up prices a few years ago and it stuck lol

The hell are you talking about there are a lot of cards out there not all of the amd cards used for mining are working anymore most of them are sold for parts, I know cause I know a few ASSHOLEs that mined, I gave them that nickname for driving up prices a few years ago and it stuck lol

its annoying if people dont really know facts but they tell the OP something like its the full blown truth.  Most used cards are AMD for one main reason, they upgrades cost less from each card.  So after a while you can upgrade to a better amd card and the old card is still good enough to be used by someone on a budget.  Also nobody really buys used nvidia cards because in the used market you can usually get a much more powerful amd card at the same pricepoint

•  

its annoying if people dont really know facts but they tell the OP something like its the full blown truth.  Most used cards are AMD for one main reason, they upgrades cost less from each card.  So after a while you can upgrade to a better amd card and the old card is still good enough to be used by someone on a budget.  Also nobody really buys used nvidia cards because in the used market you can usually get a much more powerful amd card at the same pricepoint

yea thats true but not all of them are miner cards, I use to make builds a few years ago and most of the gpu's were old amd cards and they have never gone bad that I know of til today, most of the amd cards that do get sold of hand mainly go to linux builds out there, I sold and bought a lot of those and when the mining craze happened the entire amd side well you know.....

also to ops question they are both great cards and some 290's are crazy if you get a good one but mostly I would go with the 390 

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1355

idk where you get youre info but you seem to be largely misinformed.  The 290x costs less and beats the 970 in half the benchmarks and the 970 beats it on the other half. its its my 3-5 frames

did you read what i quoted or you just went crazy ? OP said that he tought 290(non-x) was better than 970. and ofc its not,it beats it in...everything.

now about the 290x. yes they are similar...stock vs stock,but the 970 overclocks like hell while the 290x is very limited at OC`ing(among other disadvantages). and yes the gigabyte g1 gaming is a lot better than any r9 290x. 

also 290x is not cheaper than the 970. just checked on amazon

Edited by s3ns3

did you read what i quoted or you just went crazy ? OP said that he tought 290(non-x) was better than 970. and ofc its not,it beats it in...everything.

now about the 290x. yes they are similar...stock vs stock,but the 970 overclocks like hell while the 290x is very limited at OC`ing(among other disadvantages). and yes the gigabyte g1 gaming is a lot better than any r9 290x. 

also 290x is not cheaper than the 970. just checked on amazon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150696&cm_re=r9_290x-_-14-150-696-_-Product

okay here is proof that the 290x is less than the 970

now on to the next point. 

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1355

you are once more incorrect as they too trade blows.  The 290 is almost the exact same as the 290x and people love how good it is because it costs less and you lose about 1-3 frames.  I know you want the 970 to be king but an $80 cheaper card beats it in higher res, and trades blows at 1080

and another point is that the sapphire and MSI lightning are great at OC'ing

•  

mining on your GPU is actually losing you money.  Think of it this way.  You will never make back what you spent, it wouldn't even pay for the cost of running the card, so all you are doing is killing it faster

Not if you join a mining pool? And it also depends which currency you are mining.

It's more as a just in case situation. Crypto Currency is something I an all for if a long lasting currency pops out.

The problem with Bitcoin was that it only got popular because people were making $$$ out of it as opposed to actually using it as a currency. Crypto currency is not supposed to be a product which you sell off once it's profitable.

Not that I wouldn't sell off my coins if their value actually goes that high :D

#1) AMD cards being used for mining was just what I'd heard of. I didn't know it was 100% factual.

#2) It doesn't really matter. I would almost never spend that much money on a used product. I like having a warranty and am ESPECIALLY weary of people misusing products

Point being I'm only going to buy a used product here.

On Amazon uk (buying DIRECTLY from Amazon only here because of their amazing and easy to use warranty service), the 390 is practically the same price as the 970.

I imagine AMD features are generally better suited to programmers? Just the impression I have gotten from research of things like Mantle.

Among other things. Oh and the 390 has 8GB VRAM which makes it just that little bit more futureproof

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150696&cm_re=r9_290x-_-14-150-696-_-Product

okay here is proof that the 290x is less than the 970

now on to the next point. 

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1355

you are once more incorrect as they too trade blows.  The 290 is almost the exact same as the 290x and people love how good it is because it costs less and you lose about 1-3 frames.  I know you want the 970 to be king but an $80 cheaper card beats it in higher res, and trades blows at 1080

and another point is that the sapphire and MSI lightning are great at OC'ing

XFX doubleD? thats the worse 290x after stock. and no msi lightning is not not great at OC`ing http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/27.html .if that is great than 1600mhz on the 970 is what ? super extra great ?

and the other disadvantages are the damn heat ,noise,power consumption,BETA drivers since 2014,hence the drop to 20% market share for amd