Need help with buying a new GPU

MarkoP

I have a 750 Ti, but I want to upgrade to the new R9 380 4GB or something in that price range. Is the 380 the right choice or should I go for somtheing else that will give me better or same performance for less amount of money?

I have a 750 Ti, but I want to upgrade to the new R9 380 4GB or something in that price range. Is the 380 the right choice or should I go for somtheing else that will give me better or same performance for less amount of money?

How much is the R9 280X where you live? (compared to the R9 380)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Assuming you're in America, depending on the games you're playing you may want to look into a GTX 960 as they are the same price and in some games perform better. If you want to spend an extra $80-100 you could get a 290/X or a 970 which would offer much more performance. If your budget is locked in at the ~$200 bracket then you should look up benchmarks for the games you will be playing and see whether the 960 or 380 will perform better for you.

@Minibois congrats on 8888 posts

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Assuming you're in America, depending on the games you're playing you may want to look into a GTX 960 as they are the same price and in some games perform better. If you want to spend an extra $80-100 you could get a 290/X or a 970 which would offer much more performance. If your budget is locked in at the ~$200 bracket then you should look up benchmarks for the games you will be playing and see whether the 960 or 380 will perform better for you.

@Minibois congrats on 8888 posts

8890 posts now \ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) / Hype!! \ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

The only reason the 960 performs better in some games is because many games (including GTA V) seem to prefer Nvidia over AMD.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8890 posts now \ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) / Hype!! \ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

The only reason the 960 performs better in some games is because many games (including GTA V) seem to prefer Nvidia over AMD.

Yeah that's why OP should check benchmarks for the games he will be playing, no point in getting an AMD card if all the games he plays favours Nvidia.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

R9 380 with "4GB" ram is like $250... i think. For about $30-$40 more you can get a "Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC" version that is $280 atm like from newegg and such. Much better performance, and it has the Sapphire Cooler that keeps the card pretty cool at like max of 75 Celsius when I had it during gaming. I also had the ASUS Direct CU cooler version, but that card ran really hot for me, so I returned it, just in case you come across that one. 

Also, heard good things about the gigabyte version as well, cooler is on par of sapphires.

I'm actually getting the R9 390, because I want the card to last as much as it can. It has 8 GB of VRAM, so I can maybe sell it at a higher value (I'm planning on keeping the GPU for 3-5 years), and in a few years get better performance than the 290 or 290X. And I play games like GTA V, GRID, Battlefield, Call of Duty, DiRT, Need for Speed and I try to get my hands on any game taht comes out and see if I like it and maybe buy it. I also do some video editing in Vegas Pro 13 for my Youtube channel so more stream processors and VRAM will come in handy for rendering.