Free Photography Course

My dad gave me my first DSLR: his old Canon Rebel xTI.

One problem. I have no clue how to use it except in auto mode. 

Where can I find a free course that helps me out. My lynda.com free trial is over so thats not an option :(

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

There are many tutorials on youtube. Many, many, many.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Where can I find a free course that helps me out. My lynda.com free trial is over so thats not an option :(

Youtube has tons of stuff but best thing is to just play with it and find out yourself.

its pretty simple stuff really. at least your base settings on how to use the camera I taught myself entirely.

Heres a basic jumping off point

Shutter speed shorter = darker photo, and its less likely to be blurred from subtle moment.

Long shutter speed = brighter photo, subile camera movements are more likely to give you a blurry pic. can only hand hold a shot and hope to get a stable photo of times of about 1 second.

Aperture wider (Lower F Number) = brighter photo, more likely to have your subject in focus with the background blurred

Narrow aperture (higher F stop number)  = darker photo, more likely to have everything in frame in focus.

High Iso = camera is more sensitive to light (and makes photo brighter) but introduces noise. I use when I cant use a tripod and I simply cannot get a photo as bright as I need it to be for some reason.

Low ISO = "clearer" photo but you can struggle to get the picture bright enough and crisp enough if you dont have a tripod.

At its core photography is about balancing these elements in a way that gets you the result you are trying to get.

I recommend just going out and experimenting though I bought my 1st cam with ZERO knowledge on what I was doing and learned it all from just trying things and seeing what happened.

Goodluck :)

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

How to use the camera and how to practice photography are two different things. You can master how to use the camera within a day... the second will take more time and study. Start with the basics. How's your photography background? 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

How's your photography background? 

Pretty bad. I only used phone camera/point and shoots for taking photos.

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Pretty bad. I only used phone camera/point and shoots for taking photos.

That's not bad at all. There are a ton of pro's that use iphones to make stunning works. Photography is NEVER about equipment but using tools to help express what you want to create - this is true no matter what your goals or subjects are. You always know who does does good work when they talk more about the product of photography than the equipment used. It's like pro chefs. They don't talk about pots and pans. They only care about the end product. 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

Sorry I was heading to work and made that post super quick...if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

youtube is a great way to learn. Plenty of great videos out there.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Look in Coursera... They might have something...

Also, there are thousands of Photography tutorials out there... and a good portion of them are made by pros...

read the manual and get to know the camera functions inside and out like the back of your hand.

there are many youtube channels as someone stated about photography but it can get overwhelming very quick.  DigitalREVTV and Jared Polin's youtube channel are some of my favorites that dont get too technical

B&H's youtube channel also has many lectures (most 1hr+) for free that you can watch once you've learned the basics