Define R5 to get optional top mounted fan filter.

I emailed Fractal Design a while back asking for a dust filter solution for the top of the Define R5 and today I got a response!

ZQVQolG.png

If you're interested, this is the image I included in my "solution". I have since created my own magnetic filter for the top of the R5 using a modified Air Conditioning filter that was designed to be cut down to fit any size window AC unit. It's essentially a thin dust filter glued to a plastic grid designed to be cut up. I plastic-welded some magnets to it.

I find it odd that Fractal didn't have one in the first place. I realize they like their modu-vent or whatever design but designing a case with a wide radiator track and then not having dust filters was odd.

I said pretty much the same thing to them on Twitter when I initially built my system but was told that it should be used as an exhaust anyway and so there should be no worries of dust getting in. In my experience that is very far from the truth, hence the need to design my own solution.

Mine is an extreme case though as dust in my area is an ever constant threat to all things electronic.

Always wondered about this, its not like its a hell of a lot of work to make a magnetic filter that so many companies have. Thankfully my set up in my DS1 has all my intakes filtered, because i dont have a filter on my top either.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I still find the idea of this modular top to be ugly. The filter should just be one long filter. No need to split it up into 3 pieces. or have a top that is two filters long and the other 1/3 not filtered - ALL one solid piece. 

This can only be a good thing, unless they muck the aesthetics up.

Thankfully my set up in my DS1 has all my intakes filtered, because i dont have a filter on my top either.

Yay a fellow DS1 user!

I asked a similar question about will they release a 280 watercooler and I got the same response.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Sorry OP but I never understood how a case design change or whatever could get a tech news tag on it. I understand when it comes to GPU series, it makes sense because there's only 2 brands but there are so many different cases in the world. I'm not saying your post isnt cool because it's an exclusive. There's just things I dont consider tech news. Sorry.