Intel 750 Series 2.5" SSD Review

OK when I get home I'll post a vid of me switching my system on with my SM951 as boot drive to windows 8.1 cold boot (to desktop rather than metro) from memory its less than 10 seconds

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Do more real-world stuff with this kind of gear, like boot times, game loading times etc.

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

This may sound silly, but I'm surprised that no one has developed a standard that just requires the use of more SATA ports rather than a PCI based thing.

This may sound silly, but I'm surprised that no one has developed a standard that just requires the use of more SATA ports rather than a PCI based thing.

You're basically describing Raid 0.

i7 6700K, Gigabyte 1080ti, Corsair 16GB, 850 Evo 500GB

Corsair Strafe RGB Brown

I'm still wondering about SATA-express for NVMe.

SATA-express doesn't provide power, I hope we won't see much of that.

I would really prefer a single-cable solution: for example a PCIe slot with smaller pins repositioned to the side of the motherboard.

SATA 3.0 bandwidth 6 Gbit/s

PCI Express bandwidth/lane 15.754 Gbit/s

Hey Luke, what I would really love to see is how well it performs on a PS3 or PS4. So, if you have a spare one lying around, you should consider doing a video where you try to install/load a game on the original hard drive and the 750 series. Let's see some real world performance, and how much of a difference it will really make for us gamers.

I suggested something similar to Linus, he said it was interesting but not going to happen.

Although i suggest him to throw in SSHD and other drives in as well..

ON topic: So its fast, but how reliable is it? 

ON topic: So its fast, but how reliable is it? 

The physical device works just like any other SSDs on the market. The main improvement here is the protocol, which is quite simple, and the packed-in OS drivers are just as reliable as the AHCI drivers.

You guys sure enjoyed using car effects on this one. After the 3rd time  I was like "Okay, I get it" haha

Wish I could afford that baby

Main - SPEEDTEST
CPU AMD FX-8350 | RAM Kingston HyperX 12GB @1866MHz | GPU Gigabyte HD 7850 | Mobo Asrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 | HDD 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 | PSU 550W | Case VENTO A8
Le Petite Frankenstein (First build, only original part is GPU)
CPU AMD Ahlon II X2 260 | RAM 2x2GB @1333MHz | GPU Sapphire HD 3650 | Mobo Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P | HDD 500GB | PSU 500W | 1998 Case
I support AMD because I support competition in the hardware market. We all know if the "other guys" had a complete monopoly, things wouldn't get any better for ANYONE..

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if space wasn't an issue, wouldn't you just get the PCIe SSD and Call it a day? Almost all motherboards have PCIe.  I guess compatibility with the PCIe is an issue, but hopefully it would'd be... I mean, isn't PCIe just a PCIe slot?

Hey guys, quick question, I was originally planning to run 4 Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSDs in RAID 10 for my Overkill Rig... would I be better off with an Intel 750?

Is it worth giving up redundancy for those insane speeds?
Also, does the Rog Rampage V Extreme support those? Well I suppose it does since it's X99 and has an M.2 Slot... But I thought I'd still ask some experienced guys on here :]

Thanks in advance for your advice!!  :)

8x Intel 750 series 2.5" 1.2TB drives 

2x LSI 9300-16i cards

1x Intel dual port 10Gb X520-DA2

1x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 & supporting motherboard with say 32GB - 64GB DDR4 

4 drives per card.

Software raid 6 (or Raid-Z2) across all drives since cards run as HBA.

Should give about 7.2TB usable partition.

I'd estimate about 11GB/s Seq Reads & 5.5GB/s Seq Writes

I'd put the cost somewhere around $8.5k - $9.5k USD

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

xp941. I haven't upgraded, (and probably won't) check pcper for a sm951 benchmark.attachicon.gifdiskmark.png

those numbers seem a little off.. probs cos it looks like you're on Win7 and therefore don't have any TRIM support.

irRDGmG.png

What I want to know is how fast it loads windows. I somehow think it should be the most important thing to know ?

I would love to see how it handles start up times and normal every day usage for sure.  Might be an awesome video that could make people want to buy the product more.

So slack for nvme (or even m.2 pcie ssds) now that I've owned one. As highlighted by TechReport, there is an unremarkable difference between 'the fastest ssds' and 'the slowest ssds': http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5

In some cases, the SM951 is actually significantly slower to complete an everyday task....

Here for the giveaways and the nudes :ph34r:

4790k (delid 4.7 @ 1.13v) | GTX 970 short-PCB | VII Impact | 256GB XP941 + 1TB HGST 2.5" 5400RPM | CM V750 | Jonsbo W1 | 'looped with HWLabs SR-1's

In the video slick made it sound like the amount of cores the cpu has influences the performance?

Its all about those volumetric clouds

"Consumer SSD"- sells for $1200/ 

:angry:

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

LOLz

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

You're basically describing Raid 0.

Yes but on a single drive

I did not fully understand why you were not able to test it with real life tasks. 

But it any rate it looks pretty sweet for people that have the cash, tho I gotta say that you really just wanna use the PC-I lane for it, I don't think it would be too comfortable to mount without it.

what are the list of MOBO that can run this SSD?

In my next build I will use it...ABSOLUTELY

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, quick question, I was originally planning to run 4 Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSDs in RAID 10 for my Overkill Rig... would I be better off with an Intel 750?

Also, does the Rog Rampage V Extreme support those? Well I suppose it does since it's X99 and has an M.2 Slot... But I thought I'd still ask some experienced guys on here :]

Thanks in advance for your advice!! :)

I'm thinking of getting the same motherboard and am wondering whether the board supports nvme.

I'm thinking of getting the same motherboard and am wondering whether the board supports nvme.