Bitcoin Mining Motherboards?

I'm not really into mining, but I see that there are a couple of very cheap ATX motherboards on the market that advertise that they are for mining because they have one PCI-E 16X slot and then the rest are 1X slots, like this. I understand (or maybe I'm wrong) that you can use a GPU on a 1X slot if you use a riser for 1X to 16X slot, but since natively, it was a 1X slot to begin with and GPUs like AMD R9s and nVIDIA GTXs need at least a 4X and 8X, respectively to run, how does this work?Is running a GPU on all of the PCI-E slots possible or is this all false advertisement?  :P

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Okay. With AMD and Nvidia cards, you need at least 4x per card for Crossfire and 8x per card for SLI respectively. However, if you're mining, there's no need to use either technology because the cards aren't working together the same way as if they were rendering a scene.

Sig under construction.

Okay. With AMD and Nvidia cards, you need at least 4x per card for Crossfire and 8x per card for SLI respectively. However, if you're mining, there's no need to use either technology because the cards aren't working together the same way as if they were rendering a scene.

So they are not in SLI or CorssfireX? If so, what is the minimum slot required? Isn't still something like the 4X and 8X for AMD and nVIDIA respectively?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

So they are not in SLI or CorssfireX? If so, what is the minimum slot required? Isn't still something like the 4X and 8X for AMD and nVIDIA respectively?

They can use x1, because they're mainly doing processing and don't need much bandwidth.

Sig under construction.

They can use x1, because they're mainly doing processing and don't need much bandwidth.

This

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@JaZoN_xD First, you shouldn't mine bitcoin with standard computing hardware. However, there is some cryptocurrencies that use computing hardware, such as ziftrcoin(What I mine!) But for motherboards, if you are mining ziftrcoin or something like that like that. Also, graphics cards will work in any pci-E slot, It's a matter of bandwith. The bandwith isn't important when mining, only when gaming. Linus even has a really old video in which he puts a x16 card in a x1 slot. 

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.