Old graphic cards and ram

jamesfindlay3

I am thinking of upgrading my dads pc and the graphics cars is a ati radeon  hd 4850 desktop card. But at the moment in the system there is ddr2 ram but everywhere i look it says the card supports ddr3. Could I swap out the ddr2 for ddr3? 

Thank you!

No the GPU uses DDR3 ram. So leave it like that. The motherboard uses DDR2 so if you want to upgrade use DDR2 ram.

the ddr3 for the card is on the card, your system ram is separate. If your mobo is ddr2, you will not be able to put ddr3 ram in it. 

To summerise, the card should work fine in your dads pc as long as his board has a slot which it fits.

I am thinking of upgrading my dads pc and the graphics cars is a ati radeon  hd 4850 desktop card. But at the moment in the system there is ddr2 ram but everywhere i look it says the card supports ddr3. Could I swap out the ddr2 for ddr3? 

Thank you!

not without upgrading the cpu and motherboard to make them compatible with ddr3.

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

Thank you!

What is the motherboard model? More than likely you cannot use DDR3 in a DDR2 motherboard. 

but.

You can use whatever graphics card with what whatever ram you want. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Thank you!

DDR 2 and DDR 3 are non-compatible. They don't even fit into the same socket, as they have different pins.

You will have to install a different motherboard and CPU.

Thank you!

video card ram is diffrent then normal ram. you have desktop ram, then video card ram. your desktop has ddr2 with modules you can upgrade. your gpu has ram soldered on. 

ok then thank you this is the mobo http://www.nvidia.com/object/mcp_intel_techspecs.html

And it says it only supports 4gb of ddr2 is this because it only supports one stick or because the motherboard can only handle 4gb?

Thank you

Edit: a better link

http://www.cnet.com/products/xfx-nforce-630i-geforce-7100-motherboard-micro-atx-lga775-socket-geforce-7100/specs/

-snip-

The video card uses DDR3 memory (that is from the time before GDDR5) and the motherboard/CPU uses DDR2 memory sticks.

If you want to upgrade the RAM, you have to upgrade the DDR2 memory in the motherboard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/