Can someone tell me about Nvidia drivers

Guest Console Peasant

Specifically about shadowplay.

I'm using an AMD card and the drivers are fine just not good for me.

AMD using Raptr for GVR and Nvidia uses shadowplay, I want to know what is better

Raptr currently, crashes, doesn't detect my games, and crashes my games even when i'm not recording, BUT

It's amazing and has good quality with no performance impact.

If shadowplay is like Raptr but not buggy, and actually works then I will buy a Nvidia card soon.

Also feel free to tell me anything else you've noticed about AMD vs Nvidia drivers.

Shadowplay works fine for most people, but not for everyone. For some people, it's hit or miss with drivers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Nvidia drivers are great

They work a lot of the time and if there is ever an issue its as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling the previous version that worked

Shadowplay and GFX has always worked for me, recording+streaming quality is great too

Updates are fast, only take a few minutes, and do not require any restarts

Only down side is that old files can take up a lot of space if they accumulate over time, but its as simple as deleting them by following this easy guide:http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3265so/nvidia_ssd_users_clean_up_after_the_geforce/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Shadowplay works fine, the quality is good and there's no performance hit that I can detect.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

The only issue I've had with GeForce Experience since it came out was that installing drivers through it instead of a manual install will end up stalling and crashing, leaving me to have to hard reboot my machine.

Other than that it's fine. Everything else works just perfectly.

On my system with a 280x, I find CCC a pain to navigate. It may just be me being used to how Nvidia Control Panel works.

I'm not going to get into a flame war here, and my take on AMD/raptor is pretty anecdotal as I haven't had a amd card that wasn't a decade old (I brought a premade 5 years ago) AMD's streaming service will hit your PC's performance a little, while nividea's shaowplay runs concurrently with very little of a performance hit.

As to drivers, well the only thing I can say is that nividea tends to have day 0 updates for every major software launch that address issues found in the games development.

Raptr + Nvidia GeForce Experience are both awful programs. But as for AMD's DVR vs Nvidia's Shadowplay, DVR is slightly better imo. 

Also, the new AMD cards coming out are meant to have hardware H.265 decoding, which is meant to give 4x the encoding speed of H.264 or something. Can't quite recall the exact info on that, and we're yet to see, as the cards are not out yet. But if it's true, they're gonna be awesome for streamers.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Nvidia drivers are great

They work a lot of the time and if there is ever an issue its as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling the previous version that worked

Shadowplay and GFX has always worked for me, recording+streaming quality is great too

Updates are fast, only take a few minutes, and do not require any restarts

Only down side is that old files can take up a lot of space if they accumulate over time, but its as simple as deleting them by following this easy guide:http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3265so/nvidia_ssd_users_clean_up_after_the_geforce/

any crashes or game detection problems? Is there a delay between stopping and pausing gameplay? Unlike OBS

I LOVE Shadowplay, no performance impact what so ever (for me at least, not even 1 FPS less than usual), I use the shadow function so when I play CSGO and let's say I Ace the other team (kills the entire enemy team alone if you don't know what it is) then I just press ALT + F10 and it records the last 3 minutes of gameplay, so I can actually record stuff that has already happened, instead of recording the whole time!

Same thing in GTA, maybe I do this crazy jump with my car and I really want to save it I just quickly press ALT + F10 and boom it's saved in my "Videos" folder, in 1080p as well!

Don't know anything about Raptr so I don't know if it has that function but I absolutely love it! Also it has the built-in FPS counter that I like!

And you can change the Shadow function time to whatever you want, you can record the last 20 minutes of gameplay if you want that, and even select the quality and see how much space it's going to take on your HDD with the specific quality! 

TL;DR: It's awesome, works flawless for me and I would never play my games without it!

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Raptr + Nvidia GeForce Experience are both awful programs. But as for AMD's DVR vs Nvidia's Shadowplay, DVR is slightly better imo. 

Also, the new AMD cards coming out are meant to have hardware H.265 decoding, which is meant to give 4x the encoding speed of H.264 or something. Can't quite recall the exact info on that, and we're yet to see, as the cards are not out yet. But if it's true, they're gonna be awesome for streamers.

Elaborate on that first sentence, is nvidias service bad? Does it lag? Is it delayed or something?

I however would like to see more info on that second part if anyone has any, sounds awesome

I LOVE Shadowplay, no performance impact what so ever (for me at least, not even 1 FPS less than usual), I use the shadow function so when I play CSGO and let's say I Ace the other team (kills the entire enemy team alone if you don't know what it is) then I just press ALT + F10 and it records the last 3 minutes of gameplay, so I can actually record stuff that has already happened, instead of recording the whole time!

Same thing in GTA, maybe I do this crazy jump with my car and I really want to save it I just quickly press ALT + F10 and boom it's saved in my "Videos" folder, in 1080p as well!

Don't know anything about Raptr so I don't know if it has that function but I absolutely love it! Also it has the built-in FPS counter that I like!

And you can change the Shadow function time to whatever you want, you can record the last 20 minutes of gameplay if you want that, and even select the quality and see how much space it's going to take on your HDD with the specific quality! 

TL;DR: It's awesome, works flawless for me and I would never play my games without it!

AMD does have that features but it crashes certain games i like, and doesn't look that good sometimes, its just a random chance

(Nice build dude, toilet paper really brings out the colour lol, seriously though im selling my asus board for the krait mobo)

Elaborate on that first sentence, is nvidias service bad? Does it lag? Is it delayed or something?

I however would like to see more info on that second part if anyone has any, sounds awesome

Nvidia Geforce Experience & AMD Raptr are programs which are meant to automatically optimize your game settings, based upon user input. Basically, change graphics settings at the click of a button, but it tends to have poor results.

DVR & Shadowplay happen to be integrated into these programs, so you need to have either installed to use the relevant program.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

any crashes or game detection problems? Is there a delay between stopping and pausing gameplay? Unlike OBS

nope

if it cant detect a game (such as minecraft) you can always just "record desktop" and put the game fullscreen

looks exactly like native res

and no, no pauses or lag spikes from my experience with it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nvidia Geforce Experience & AMD Raptr are programs which are meant to automatically optimize your game settings, based upon user input. Basically, change graphics settings at the click of a button, but it tends to have poor results.

DVR & Shadowplay happen to be integrated into these programs, so you need to have either installed to use the relevant program.

I couldn't care less if they do anything to my games bar record them, that's what im asking about :]

nope

if it cant detect a game (such as minecraft) you can always just "record desktop" and put the game fullscreen

looks exactly like native res

and no, no pauses or lag spikes from my experience with it

That's amazing, DWM features aswell.. looking good, AMD GVR doesn't do that (Any frame lose or stutter recording DWM?)

AMD does have that features but it crashes certain games i like, and doesn't look that good sometimes, its just a random chance

(Nice build dude, toilet paper really brings out the colour lol, seriously though im selling my asus board for the krait mobo)

Ah okay, mine has never crashed, only a few times when I mess with my overclocking and I go way to high and the driver crashes but it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't work when the driver is crashing! And it ALWAYS looks fantastic, can't speak for everyone but I've had 0 problems with it, sometimes when I watch old CSGO videos in the night I grab my mouse to spin my character around before I realize it's a recording and not the actual game, that's how good the quality is xD

HAHA thank you! xD Gonna take a new picture tomorrow with the new components installed, I just got the Mobo/PSU today so the cable management isn't done yet so I decided to wait before I take a new picture  :D

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

I couldn't care less if they do anything to my games bar record them, that's what im asking about :]

Some people don't like having unnecessary things installed, and Raptr & GeForce experience are two prime examples :P It's just a shame that you cannot use DVR/Shadowplay as standalone.

Ah okay, mine has never crashed, only a few times when I mess with my overclocking and I go way to high and the driver crashes but it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't work when the driver is crashing! And it ALWAYS looks fantastic, can't speak for everyone but I've had 0 problems with it, sometimes when I watch old CSGO videos in the night I grab my mouse to spin my character around before I realize it's a recording and not the actual game, that's how good the quality is xD

HAHA thank you! xD Gonna take a new picture tomorrow with the new components installed, I just got the Mobo/PSU today so the cable management isn't done yet so I decided to wait before I take a new picture  :D

thanks for the feedback, shadowplay sounding better so far.

Some people don't like having unnecessary things installed, and Raptr & GeForce experience are two prime examples :P It's just a shame that you cannot use DVR/Shadowplay as standalone.

agreed agreed agreed agreed.

agreed

That's amazing, DWM features aswell.. looking good, AMD GVR doesn't do that (Any frame lose or stutter recording DWM?)

by DWM you mean desktop window management? like recording a chrome window or program window?

I don't think it can do that...desktop capture will just record the entire desktop like you see it

but the quality is great, you could always crop it in post recording around a window if you didnt want the whole destop recorded

here is an example of the quality:

Spoiler

by DWM you mean desktop window management? like recording a chrome window or program window?

I don't think it can do that...desktop capture will just record the entire desktop like you see it

but the quality is great, you could always crop it in post recording around a window if you didnt want the whole destop recorded

here is an example of the quality:

its also aero desktop.. if I were to record programs i'd probably do full monitor recording anyway.

Shadowplay started giving me problems, so I uninstalled Geforce experience. I didn't like the way it was "optimizing" my games and the shadowplay feature can also be done with OBS. So I'm using OBS instead and manually optimizing my games.

Shadowplay started giving me problems, so I uninstalled Geforce experience. I didn't like the way it was "optimizing" my games and the shadowplay feature can also be done with OBS. So I'm using OBS instead and manually optimizing my games.

obs lags my aiming sometimes