[CAD] Best bang for buck; GTX970 or GTX980?

Honestly it is the best choice. If you are concerned at all with value, the 980 doesn't make sense. Enjoy!

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Honestly it is the best choice. If you are concerned at all with value, the 980 doesn't make sense. Enjoy!

Yeah i know. The GTX 970 is the best way to go!

Cheers guys!  :D

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Indeed!

Seems most people are expressing the 970 is the best way to go. I've had recommendations for AMD cards, but i'm not a fan personally (nothing against them, just always had NVIDIA).

Afraid to step into new but oddly identical territory ;p seriously amd isn't bad at all anymore. It's just like nvidia, same issues and same benefits. but note that it is known that xf outperforms sli by a notable margin nowadays. Also, a 290 will be better for higher resolutions and future high resolution games. When 4gb becomes a minimum spec, the 970 will crumble due to performance loss at such demanding rendering. And note that these games are very close to being here, (witcher3?) and holy hell 1440p and 4k are becoming cheaper and cheaper. Just something to consider. But if you want a 980 then that's totally fine. I think it's overpriced but it is a beast at 1080p and will probably last a good 6 years until an upgrade is due. I don't give the 970 more than 3 - 4 years.

Also if you have 1080p, the 290 will be waaaay better at anti aliasing then the 970. I mean waaaaaay better.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor