Need help finding a power supply that will suit my Girlfriends computer!

Mentaltoast

Hey all

I recently pulled the trigger on upgrading to a 970 from my 770 and in turn was planning on upgrading my girlfriend's computer to my 770 (to replace her hd5700 series card)

I took a peak recently at her powersupply and noticed that It doesn't seem to have an 8pin connector which will be needed for when she adopts my 770 and was going to shop for a new power supply.

I wasn't quite sure where to start , I've heard horror stories of buying off-brand non mainstream psu's so I was going to stick to EVGA or corsair but I can't seem to find information on the product pages for if it will have the necessary connectors for the card and the rest of her already installed parts.

I'd love some suggestions in terms of wattage and which PSU I should buy for her rig that will be able to supply enough power and have the right connections for her new card.

Her current specs;

Amd Phenom II x4 965

8Gb DDR3

Asustek Mobo M4A79XTD EVO (am3)

Gtx 770 4gb

500gb WD HDD

Her case is pretty basic and only has a few small case fans on it. probably 3-4 total.

I was currently eyeballing http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092ML0OC/?tag=pcpapi-20

since it's relatively inexpensive but I couldn't figure out if it had the right connections for anything.

I'd love any help as my PC knowledge is still progressing and PSU's are one of the things I haven't messed about with much.

How much are you willing to spend? And i think 600w will probably be the best. 

Edit- And the Corsair CX600w is a pretty good PSU for the price and should have all the necessary connectors. 

That power supply would be sufficient and it would work but if your budget allowed it get the modular version or the EVGA Supernova or antec one.

Steve

Please. Please. PLEASE go with the EVGA. Or a Seasonic. Or an XFX.

I have had so many failures with the CX series under moderate to heavy loads that it's not even funny. Corsair has an awesome RMA system; I know this very well now, but it's not worth losing a GPU or other component to find out.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Edit- And the Corsair CX600w is a pretty good PSU for the price and should have all the necessary connectors. 

Budget was hopefully around the $60 dollar range, really didn't want to go above that point though unless completely necessary

Budget was hopefully around the $60 dollar range, really didn't want to go above that point though unless completely necessary

Well i would personally get the one that you linked, it has not let me down so far in the two years i have been using it. 

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

I actually didn't think about that, are there any downsides to using an adapter for one of her free connections to an 8pin?

her current psu is a 530w

If the psu can handle it, which I'm pretty sure it can (don't know if that's a bad brand with that being the peak wattage), you shouldn't have a problem.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

If the psu can handle it, which I'm pretty sure it can (don't know if that's a bad brand with that being the peak wattage), you shouldn't have a problem.

I believe it to be this http://www.amazon.com/Raidmax-Hybrid-ATX12V-EPS12V-RX-530SS/dp/B000TYN2PC

Her computer is a tad old and was originally frankenstiened from a friends collection of old parts, It's been doing fine since we put it together , I'm just worried about a psu in it that I'm unfamiliar with when I'm actually putting relatively valuable components in it now.

I believe it to be this http://www.amazon.com/Raidmax-Hybrid-ATX12V-EPS12V-RX-530SS/dp/B000TYN2PC

Her computer is a tad old and was originally frankenstiened from a friends collection of old parts, It's been doing fine since we put it together , I'm just worried about a psu in it that I'm unfamiliar with when I'm actually putting relatively valuable components in it now.

Yeah your going to want to change that.

Raidimax is generally not a good PSU brand.

Go with something like xfx ts 550, is often on sale for cheap

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Please. Please. PLEASE go with the EVGA. Or a Seasonic. Or an XFX.

Not all EVGA are good. CX600 is better then 600B, and is electrically better then the NEX G1 (almost anything is)

"Rawr XD"

600W is overkill for single 770.

"Rawr XD"

I was currently eyeballing http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092ML0OC/?tag=pcpapi-20

since it's relatively inexpensive but I couldn't figure out if it had the right connections for anything.

This is hands down a better option for cheaper http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Wired-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B004RJ8EKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430240223&sr=1-1&keywords=xfx+550w Better build quality, better OEM, and better performance.

If you can order from Newegg, this is even better then the above, for even cheaper. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550bbefx Mops the floor with the CX and TS in build quality and performance, fully modular, and has hybrid fan mode as well.

"Rawr XD"

Not all EVGA are good. CX600 is better then 600B, and is electrically better then the NEX G1 (almost anything is)

Correct. I probably should have specified the G2.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.