Designing my mancave

Tadgh

I have the aesthetical taste of a broken chair, so I can't really help you with what may look cool, however things that in my opinion are cool regardless are:

-3d printers

-montitor-holding cockpits like the one Linus showcased

-4k monitors

-surround speaker setups

-pcs encased in glass desks, preferably watercooled

Hey. I'll have you know my mother was a broken chair. You ass. 

Really though your opinion is more than enough for me ^-^. I have plans for a 3D printer, because 3D printers are really bloody cool, but I don't have the money for a decent one right now.

I would love a monitor cockpit, but right now I'm going for a triple monitor stand :). 4K is also a no-go right now, but I will expand into 4K sometime in the future. Surround sound... Ehh... I've got a nice 2.1 system planned, a surround system WOULD work better simply due to the nature of the room (rectangular with the desk on a long wall), buuut this is gonna have to wait for the future.

Your last point though, plans for that in the immediate future. Working on maybe fitting my rig in a box built onto my desk. This is especially appealing as the PC is gonna be available all over the house with streaming boxes, and I could turn it into a mothership type affair :) With lights and all, maybe an I/O with on button on the desk ^-^

AFAIK plaster make the room noise isolated, am i right? ( heard somewhere but forgot :wacko: )

Dude, what's AFAIK? Because if you know about any of the acoustic properties of plaster that would be hella useful!

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

Projectors are cool, maybe a mini fridge.  Make sure you have a couch or something for when people are over.  

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Display(s): Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX BrownMouse: Razer Deathadder Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker....aze101xx/saved/

Projectors are cool, maybe a mini fridge.  Make sure you have a couch or something for when people are over.  

Mini fridge. projector, and couch all gonna happen bud :)

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

Hey. I'll have you know my mother was a broken chair. You ass. 

Really though your opinion is more than enough for me ^-^. I have plans for a 3D printer, because 3D printers are really bloody cool, but I don't have the money for a decent one right now.

I would love a monitor cockpit, but right now I'm going for a triple monitor stand :). 4K is also a no-go right now, but I will expand into 4K sometime in the future. Surround sound... Ehh... I've got a nice 2.1 system planned, a surround system WOULD work better simply due to the nature of the room (rectangular with the desk on a long wall), buuut this is gonna have to wait for the future.

Your last point though, plans for that in the immediate future. Working on maybe fitting my rig in a box built onto my desk. This is especially appealing as the PC is gonna be available all over the house with streaming boxes, and I could turn it into a mothership type affair :) With lights and all, maybe an I/O with on button on the desk ^-^

Dude, what's AFAIK? Because if you know about any of the acoustic properties of plaster that would be hella useful!

as far as i know. sorry mate, can't help you on audio stuff.

as far as i know. sorry mate, can't help you on audio stuff.

That's alright, I'll go look it up!

I'm thinking the TV about the three monitors should be like 40"?

Projector would be cool, do you have any experiences with them? (Cost, image quality, bulb replacement?)

Projectors have very short lifespan.

After not long period of time their lamps start fading, getting low contrast and not showing some colours.

I had an idea for a gaming pod in the ceiling. Seat drops down to the floor, you get in, and it rises back up into the ceiling, multiple monitors, climate controlled, seat oriented into a reclined sort of position, small drinks fridge, cup holder, etc. Different colored lighting (get that command center feel you see in submarines etc).

Expensive, but baller idea I feel.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They look it, I know this might be jumping into a big commitment, but I'm thinking about a 120" screen for the mancave? I've been searching about online and look are immersive af :) Gods I'm all excited now!

Wow 150 inch would be great!, Mine currently is on a 100 inch screen, mainly because the wall its in isn't big enough for anything larger, but its still super immersive. And like you said before, if you get a nice sound system, it would greatly improve the whole cinema experience. All you need once you have the projector and the sound system is a comfy chair to sit on. 

After not long period of time their lamps start fading, getting low contrast and not showing some colours.

So I hear, but I reckon a lifespan of 2600 hours is enough for 1 years heavy usage, and that will never be reached with me. I can replace bulbs when necessary :)

Even then, I kinda feel like there's no point in not trying, yanno?

I had an idea for a gaming pod in the ceiling. Seat drops down to the floor, you get in, and it rises back up into the ceiling, multiple monitors, climate controlled, seat oriented into a reclined sort of position, small drinks fridge, cup holder, etc. Different colored lighting (get that command center feel you see in submarines etc).

Expensive, but baller idea I feel.

So I'm sitting in this hotel bar, and I just spat tea all over my laptop, and I have a bunch of strangers giggling at me - thanks for that.

Having said that, it is a really balla idea, and good food for thought. As expensive as it is, one day, it would make a very interesting project

Wow 150 inch would be great!, Mine currently is on a 100 inch screen, mainly because the wall its in isn't big enough for anything larger, but its still super immersive. And like you said before, if you get a nice sound system, it would greatly improve the whole cinema experience. All you need once you have the projector and the sound system is a comfy chair to sit on. 

How do you mount your speakers to incorporate that screen? If I can figure that out I think I could buy a black/grey screen of 120" (I'll have to do the measurements though), and sort out a nice sofa :) this is hella exciting oh my.

So I hear, but I reckon a lifespan of 2600 hours is enough for 1 years heavy usage, and that will never be reached with me. I can replace bulbs when necessary :)

They mean time, that will pass untill it's lamp won't turn on. Divide this time by 4 and u will get how long u'll have a good picture.

If u'll find it with a good discount - give it a try. Btw, check out some cooling mods for projectors, 'cause many of them are really loud.

So I'm sitting in this hotel bar, and I just spat tea all over my laptop, and I have a bunch of strangers giggling at me - thanks for that.

Having said that, it is a really balla idea, and good food for thought. As expensive as it is, one day, it would make a very interesting project

I will definitely do a build log if I EVER have that kind of money. Think of it as a sealed gaming environment where nothing can bother you. Powerful surround sound, but sound insulated so that family won't bitch etc. And definitely gotta have climate control, keep things icy cold for those all nighters.

And of course, several 4k monitors and a ridiculous rig to power them. MWHAHAHAHAHA *lightning crack*

They mean time, that will pass untill it's lamp won't turn on. Divide this time by 4 and u will get how long u'll have a good picture.

If u'll find it with a good discount - give it a try. Btw, check out some cooling mods for projectors, 'cause many of them are really loud.

Oh. Lmao. Thanks for breaking that one to me xD

Still gonna get one mind, and I adore modding things, so that makes the project all the more interesting :) The model I'm looking at buying sits at about 48dB from a meter away, which is reasonably loud, so I'd go a way to fix that!

I will definitely do a build log if I EVER have that kind of money. Think of it as a sealed gaming environment where nothing can bother you. Powerful surround sound, but sound insulated so that family won't bitch etc. And definitely gotta have climate control, keep things icy cold for those all nighters.

And of course, several 4k monitors and a ridiculous rig to power them. MWHAHAHAHAHA *lightning crack*

I'll do the same. Hell if I have THAT much money I'll fly you over here to use it. I'd be tempted to put dry ice machines all around the mancave though, and the environment in the floor. Then as it rose up from the floor the dry ice machines would pepper the floor with a fine mist, and there'd be a sound arrangement that would play 'flight of the concords'.

How do you mount your speakers to incorporate that screen? If I can figure that out I think I could buy a black/grey screen of 120" (I'll have to do the measurements though), and sort out a nice sofa :) this is hella exciting oh my.

Well originally I just used headphones to listen to all my movies, but then I realized I wasn't getting the full surround audio setup. So I bought some decent bookshelf speakers and mounted them on either side of the screen so they are facing at me, and then I have a sub woofer that sits behind and gives a kick of bass every time there is an explosion or something in the movie. My audio setup isn't perfect, but it works well enough for me. Anyway, what kind of speakers do you plan on using?

I'll do the same. Hell if I have THAT much money I'll fly you over here to use it. I'd be tempted to put dry ice machines all around the mancave though, and the environment in the floor. Then as it rose up from the floor the dry ice machines would pepper the floor with a fine mist, and there'd be a sound arrangement that would play 'flight of the concords'.

Well all that's just a given.

Well originally I just used headphones to listen to all my movies, but then I realized I wasn't getting the full surround audio setup. So I bought some decent bookshelf speakers and mounted them on either side of the screen so they are facing at me, and then I have a sub woofer that sits behind and gives a kick of bass every time there is an explosion or something in the movie. My audio setup isn't perfect, but it works well enough for me. Anyway, what kind of speakers do you plan on using?

Wharfedale 9.1 Diamonds either side of the screen, and a Wharfedale S120 Sub to accompany them. I listen to a lot of music when I work/am generally about, so those are pretty much the main feature of the room - they're gonna have to do for the projector screen for the meantime I think! I could get a surround dealio going downstairs in the future mind!

Guys, this thread is gaining a little traction and all the advice and ideas here have actually been a wonderful help. 

Would anybody be interest in a diagram of the room, or even some pictures of the house in it's current state?

I could turn this into a kind of, build log, but with a full mancave. What would we name it?

a 3D printer, enough wall sockets, remotely adjustable lighting, airco.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

o yeah forget to mention, a YouTuber UnboxTherapy just get an new projector, you should check it out and then visualization of your room.

a 3D printer, enough wall sockets, remotely adjustable lighting, airco.

We've got at least 10 wall sockets going in, bc why skimp?

Remotely adjustable lighting. YES. Will have to do DIY though, how much work do you reckon that'd be? No airco, no need, I'm beside the sea sure, I'll just open a window.

o yeah forget to mention, @Tadgh a YouTuber UnboxTherapy just get an new projector, you should check it out and then visualization of your room.

Ty! Will check out now!

Guys, this thread is gaining a little traction and all the advice and ideas here have actually been a wonderful help.

Would anybody be interest in a diagram of the room, or even some pictures of the house in it's current state?

I could turn this into a kind of, build log, but with a full mancave. What would we name it?

a pic would be great! for the name, let's just wait til it's finished.

a pic would be great! for the name, let's just wait til it's finished.

I'll get some when I get home :) Reckon I should start a build log for it?

First, why are you living in a shell? (Sarcasm)

Okay, actual suggestion. A rollup tarp to project stuff on. A small chair in front of the projector for shadow puppets. Will edit when i think of more ideas.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000