XFX HD 7950 coil whine with advertised "solid state chokes"

Hi guys

I had this graphics card for a while now, and the coil whine happens under load is really getting on my nerves. I've contacted XFX RMA they told me to contact the retailer that I bought the card from. But I bought the card second hand off ebay, so I don't really know the retailer even though I still have a valid warranty with XFX.

Also on the box and on their website, XFX advertised that the card have "XFX Duratec Professional Grade Components", "When it comes to keeping your graphics card cool, we don't miss any details. Our high quality components which may include the capacitors, ferrite cores, mosfet, fans, brackets and PCB material are built to last in addition to providing you with better performance and increased lifespan for your product."

You can get all the information of the card here: http://benchmarkreviews.com/1787/xfx-radeon-hd-7950-black-edition-fx-795a-tdfc-video-card-review/

But I am not experiencing any benefits that a "high quality component" equipped card is meant to have.So please help guys, is there any thing I can try to make the card quiet?

Thank you.

What exact PSU do you have? Sometimes the coil whine can be amplified by a PSU that has a lot of noise/oscillation in the power it delivers. 

Here's my case 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/333839-does-the-quality-of-power-delivered-by-a-psu-noiseoscillation-supply-affect-gpu-coil-whine/

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Even high quality components can whine... There's not really all that much you can do about it really.

Hi Syntaxvgm!

Yeah I also bought a new psu to try and solve the problem, it's a EVGA 1000w G1 psu, so I can't really see any problem could of caused by that.

Here is the psu: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=120-G1-1000-VR

Thank You.

well then, probably not the issue unfortunately. The best you can do is limit the frame rate to your screen's refresh rate. If you have a 144Hz screen, sorry mate. If you have a 60Hz screen, enabling vsync will probably eliminate or greatly reduce your coil whine since in most cases it's the worst at high frame rates. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

well then, probably not the issue unfortunately. The best you can do is limit the frame rate to your screen's refresh rate. If you have a 144Hz screen, sorry mate. If you have a 60Hz screen, enabling vsync will probably eliminate or greatly reduce your coil whine since in most cases it's the worst at high frame rates. 

Yeah that's where my problem comes in,when I research on coil whine, people always say "just turn on vsync" or "using msi afterburner to limit frame rate", most people's coil whine problem is simpliy solved but even when I play games with vsync on also at a steady 60fps, it still whines. And yes I do have a 60hz monitor here is the link: http://uk.kagoo.com/TVs-Monitors-Projectors/PC-Monitors/1556503/Samsung-S22C300.html

Thank You

There isn't much you can't do, you can try to return it to XFX themselves but they denied my rma with a card that had whine.

There isn't much you can't do, you can try to return it to XFX themselves but they denied my rma with a card that had whine.

Yeah same with me here, they denied my RMA and told me to contact my retailer (but I bought the card second hand so I am not sure which retailer).

Thank You

Yeah same with me here, they denied my RMA and told me to contact my retailer (but I bought the card second hand so I am not sure which retailer).

Thank You

Just try

That's strange. I had a XFX card that had coil whine as well. However, they approved my RMA right away and even gave me a slight upgrade from a 6850 to a 7850.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

That's strange. I had a XFX card that had coil whine as well. However, they approved my RMA right away and even gave me a slight upgrade from a 6850 to a 7850.

That was actually a huge upgrade. Wow...  The 7850 not only beat the 6850 but beat the 6870, I had both.

As far as Coil While goes. Why do some people seem to have it and others don't? Is the card really working improperly?

Warranties are funny. If you buy second hand often the Manufacturer will say you have no warranty unless a company will allowed it to be transferred.

That was actually a huge upgrade. Wow...  The 7850 not only beat the 6850 but beat the 6870, I had both.

As far as Coil While goes. Why do some people seem to have it and others don't? Is the card really working improperly?

Warranties are funny. If you buy second hand often the Manufacturer will say you have no warranty unless a company will allowed it to be transferred.

Back when I bought the 6850 in 2011, it had a double lifetime warranty meaning that it could be transferred to the second owner. I'm not sure about the 7950 though, but for his sake, I hope so.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Back when I bought the 6850 in 2011, it had a double lifetime warranty meaning that it could be transferred to the second owner. I'm not sure about the 7950 though, but for his sake, I hope so.

Yes my graphics card have got double lifetime warrenty and I have transferred it to my name, but XFX still refuse to RMA and want me to contact my retailer for exchange.

Thank you for replying the thread though :)  

What a joke.... feel for ya buddy. Double Warranty means squat then huh?

BFG was so good about the warranty.... guess that's what killed them in the end....???