Inflated battery [Android]

My battery seems to have inflated, now this has happened 3 times in a row, with 3 different android phones. First 2 times I had it on the charger all night keeping it at 100%. Looking up on the net says this is the reason why it inflated. So with my 3rd phone I did not do that, I only charge up to 90% regularly, yet still, it started to inflate.

Questions:

1) Am I doing something wrong here or is it just the batteries are crap?

2) Is there any way to prevent or fix this inflation problem?

Were these all the same battery?

Is a cheap made-in-china 3rd party battery?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It might be your charger that is not working well.

i'm a potato

all batteries have a limited charge cycle of around 1000 times. Leaving it on charge for long periods of times will easily impact this number. Also if you're a very heavy user that needs to charge their phone several times a day this is also the reason.

if you need to charge you phone regularly and often then its best to use a slow or trickle charger, something at outputs at around 1000mah or less. fast charging a battery again isn't good for it for prolonged and extended periods.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Were these all the same battery?

Is a cheap made-in-china 3rd party battery?

Big Bold "Samsung" name on Battery: made in China

all batteries have a limited charge cycle of around 1000 times. Leaving it on charge for long periods of times will easily impact this number. Also if you're a very heavy user that needs to charge their phone several times a day this is also the reason.

if you need to charge you phone regularly and often then its best to use a slow or trickle charger, something at outputs at around 1000mah or less. fast charging a battery again isn't good for it for prolonged and extended periods.

I'll give a slow/trickle charger a shot, but how do I determine if its 1000mah or less?

Keeping it on a charger all night really doesn't matter, where does this myth even come from.

I'll give a slow/trickle charger a shot, but how do I determine if its 1000mah or less?

Try a different charger with the next battery you use

Keeping it on a charger all night really doesn't matter, where does this myth even come from.

The fact that chargers are made to trickle charge a battery when it is finished fast charging

Trickle charging does not stop because its supposed to keep a battery topped off while plugged in, but this can cause overcharging if the current is too high or the battery is not being used with the correct charger

Either way, trickle charging for long periods of time leads to a faster battery degradation

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Try a different charger with the next battery you use

The fact that chargers are made to trickle charge a battery when it is finished fast charging

Trickle charging does not stop because its supposed to keep a battery topped off while plugged in, but this can cause overcharging if the current is too high or the battery is not being used with the correct charger

Either way, trickle charging for long periods of time leads to a faster battery degradation

Well yeah but not to a noticeable degree I thought. The keeping battery topped off is exactly what I was talking about. thought all chargers/phones did that these days.

It depends on the charger

Some macbook users got greeted with an inflated battery because they were using fake chargers plugged overnight

Well yeah but not to a noticeable degree I thought. The keeping battery topped off is exactly what I was talking about. thought all chargers/phones did that these days.

yeah but if the lithium is expanding that much then something is wrong with the way its being charged

Spoiler

the chargers output will be written on the charger. it has to be stamped by law (well in most companies)

something must be wrong either way as in 16 years of owning mobiles I've never had a battery swell!! i had an iPhone that cooked itself but thats it.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Here's how I charge my phone- about 3 hours before I go to sleep, I charge from my computer. When I go to sleep, I unplug and use it until I fall asleep. Nothing hard or complicated.

I read that not all chargers do stop charging once it reaches max charge, and yes it does overheat which I can attest to. So its safe to assume not all companies abide by this.

On another similar point: my 2nd phone which was a Xperia x10, I was using a Samsung charger & 3rd party usb cord. Would that also contribute to battery inflation? 'cause I also read (not on this forum) that using chargers/cords that were not in-the-box is bad for your battery.

Also, to point out, the battery inflated to the point where the battery case, split and the pkg inside popped out. W/o being on the charger, for say, 2-3 months.