AMD Partner Conference (free sync) (will be updated)

spartaman64

There is an amd partner conference on free sync coming up. 

There is an Q&A session so i'm wondering what questions do you guys have about free sync and ill ask them and try to get a reply.

Some questions im thinking about:

1. Does intel show any interest in adaptive sync

They don't know but they are free and welcome to adopt adaptive sync

2. Possible module upgrade like the g sync modules

3. Could it become a requirement of the displayport standard

Can adaptive sync become a requirement for displayport?: Almost all features of DP are optional, including HBR2 and MST.  so it won't be a requirement, but it is an option

Your questions:

1. Is a frame stored in the gpu or the display in case frame rates drop below the refresh threshold 

The user chooses the behavior when the fps goes outside the threshold.

2. Is there going to be a ULMB mode for free sync

Will there be a ultra low motion blur mode for free sync?  - This is a feature that does not work with FreeSync... we're looking into it, but it's a tough problem to solve

3. When is free sync coming to laptops

Didn't give a time but say they are working on it.

4. Why is free sync crossfire driver coming much later

Frame pacing needs to be worked out.

Wow there were some big claims and if true will set free sync to be dramatically better than g sync.

The claim that stood out to me the most is that g sync has a performance hit while free sync does not.

Free sync also allows stuff like inputs other than DP and custom stuff that the manufacturer might want to do like stuff with color.

Free sync also allows a larger fps range than g sync.

Free sync release tomorrow with drivers.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP3kj0_5P0Y&feature=youtu.be

Edit: free sync release today at noon eastern time 3/19/15

Yeah !! I'd love to know more please keep this uptodate 

I'm sure they have answered this somewhere (officially, not some armchair response from a nerd), but definitely ask them whether a frame is stored in the graphic memory (vsync) or in the display itself when frame rates dip below the refresh threshold and a frame needs to be repeated.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Could they explain what happens at the extremes of the frame-rate spectrum, i.e. when your frame-rate drops very low (under 20) or spikes higher than the monitor can display. they mentioned using V-Sync, but I haven't really found much about what happens to the responsiveness of the display when it toggles on and off.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

@spartaman64

Could you put down a source, I don't see any mention of this anywhere else and you have yet to update it?

its only for partners and its taking place at 9 CDT 

its only for partners and its taking place at 9 CDT

9PM or AM?

And how do you know about it then?

I mean if there's no source you'd have to be a partner to know about it.....

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

9PM or AM?

And how do you know about it then?

I mean if there's no source you'd have to be a partner to know about it.....

pm and i am a partner im also going to do a video recording of it

Partner's.  So, perhaps monitor vendors?  If so; 21:9, 3440x1440, 144hz, AHVA/IPS. :D  Given that the Acer xr341ck is coming out with g-sync.  Need a free-sync one too!

I like to know if AMD is going to do any kind of ULMB mode for their FreeSync monitors. That to me still give the edge to Nvidia. The speculations at blur busters points to G-Sync + ULMB as an eventuality.

When will Freesync be arriving in laptops for their apus and dedicated gpus?

Will Freesync work with unregistered monitors that meet the adaptive standard, but not the freesync brand name? (Aka the new asus 120-144 hz quad hd ips coming out soon.)

Will Freesync work with unregistered monitors that meet the adaptive standard, but not the freesync brand name? (Aka the new asus 120-144 hz quad hd ips coming out soon.)

i think free sync works with all adaptive sync monitors

Yes.

AMD said at some point that you don't need to submit it for FreeSync certification for it to work, however it's supposedly free and you're able to put the FreeSync logo on the box by passing certification so.....

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

@spartaman64 how about asking them why they plan to release crossfire FreeSync compatible drivers an entire month after the regular FreeSync drivers?

Linus Sebastian said:

Q: Can I get a sample to test?  Pretty please.  I'll buy an AMD centric system worthy of housing it, I promise.

(gawd I've become one of "those" people :( )

Free sync also allows stuff like inputs other than DP and custom stuff that the manufacturer might want to do like stuff with color.

Free sync also allows a larger fps range than g sync.

Gonna wait to see if you actually upload a video as I can't imagine those claims being made, let alone being true.
  • they've been saying the entire time that DP 1.2a is required, and they went through the trouble of pushing the adaptive-sync standard through VESA.
  • As for a larger fps range it seems unlikely.
Linus Sebastian said:

• they've been saying the entire time that DP 1.2a is required, and they went through the trouble of pushing the adaptive-sync standard through VESA.

I believe he's referring to the fact that current G-sync monitors can only have a displayport input and nothing else, where as Free-sync monitors will allow other inputs but Free-sync will only work through 1.2A so you don't need two separate monitors if you have a console or other device without displayport 

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I believe he's referring to the fact that current G-sync monitors can only have a displayport input and nothing else, where as Free-sync monitors will allow other inputs but Free-sync will only work through 1.2A so you don't need two separate monitors if you have a console or other device without displayport 

He clearly said

Free sync also allows stuff like inputs other than DP

So I doubt it, either way though the video is processing so we'll soon know if this forum will have an exclusive first look at the AMD partners conference or if spartaman64 is just bsing 

64955.jpg

Linus Sebastian said:

Either he was bsing us or an AoG took place causing him to be unable to finish uploading the video since it's stuck in an infinite processing state.

I'd have to say that the former seems more likely.

Linus Sebastian said:

Didn't Linus review a G-sync monitor with more than 1 DP input

Didn't Linus review a G-sync monitor with more than 1 DP input

it would seem that some of the newer ones coming out will have more ports like that insane acer one.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Either he was bsing us or an AoG took place causing him to be unable to finish uploading the video since it's stuck in an infinite processing state.

I'd have to say that the former seems more likely.

The video is up.

I'm interested @spartaman64 how can I join future conferences such as this ?