Looking for a CPU upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Bonesy,

Well here are my thoughts: Take them how you want, I don't know your personal feelings/desires.

1)CPU - The timeframe in which DX12 and hypothetical "core optimization" for games is largely unknown. You might upgrade and see very minimal performance increases, if any...for an unknown length of time.

2)Given that these features/technologies are largely not being implemented, i would wait for the Broadwell refresh to see what is offered. Allowing you to keep all the same components, and just replacing CPU.

3)Upgrading to X99 should have nothing to do with DDR4, the difference is negligible. Especially for "90% gaming", I don't think all the funds invested into X99 will be a worthwhile investment compared to other options, but YMMV.

4)I cannot in good conscious recommend an AMD processor currently, they just simply can't compete with the performance CPU offerings from Intel

5)Hold on to the GPU for a little bit, see what becomes of the 300 series and the potential price drop from Nvidia as a response. Decide then what is going to serve you better

Personally, I wouldn't invest in a major system overhaul until Skylake comes out; Between the new architecture, the new GPU's that will be out, and the time passed to allow DX12, core optimization, etc to occur...it will be a much more noticeable performance difference. As i stated earlier though...I don't know how much you "need" an upgrade, or if that timeframe is feasible for you.

So, I am starting to consider a CPU upgrade from my current I5 4690 (non k version).

I am considering to get, over the next couple of months, an unlocked processor with more cores.

It seems that finally, with DX12 and future games, more cores are finally going to be worth it for gaming (gaming is the main task of this computer). Also I am going to buy a water cooler to go with it so i can start getting into a bit of overclocking (something i haven't done yet).

My question then is, should I stick to my z97 chipset and go for something like a core i7 4790K which would be more cost effective since I wouldn't have to upgrade my MOBO or should i immediately go into a x99 board?? This would be much less cost effective since I would have to upgrade MOBO, memory and the cpus are more expensive.

The thing is I want this next build to last a few years so do you think it is ok if I go with this last gen 4790k or should I save up a bit more and invest in the more future like x99 with DDR4 and more cores cpus??

Also should I consider AMD? I am open to suggestions. I currently have a R9 290 as a gpu but I will, most likely, upgrade to a new 390x when they come out, especially if it lives up to the hype and really comes water cooled out of the box.

Remember, gaming is the thing I will do 90% of the time and cost-effective solutions are important to me but I am willing to save up for a while longer if it is worth it.

Thank you all!

Well here are my thoughts: Take them how you want, I don't know your personal feelings/desires.

1)CPU - The timeframe in which DX12 and hypothetical "core optimization" for games is largely unknown. You might upgrade and see very minimal performance increases, if any...for an unknown length of time.

2)Given that these features/technologies are largely not being implemented, i would wait for the Broadwell refresh to see what is offered. Allowing you to keep all the same components, and just replacing CPU.

3)Upgrading to X99 should have nothing to do with DDR4, the difference is negligible. Especially for "90% gaming", I don't think all the funds invested into X99 will be a worthwhile investment compared to other options, but YMMV.

4)I cannot in good conscious recommend an AMD processor currently, they just simply can't compete with the performance CPU offerings from Intel

5)Hold on to the GPU for a little bit, see what becomes of the 300 series and the potential price drop from Nvidia as a response. Decide then what is going to serve you better

Personally, I wouldn't invest in a major system overhaul until Skylake comes out; Between the new architecture, the new GPU's that will be out, and the time passed to allow DX12, core optimization, etc to occur...it will be a much more noticeable performance difference. As i stated earlier though...I don't know how much you "need" an upgrade, or if that timeframe is feasible for you.

Save the money and get a better GPU? (What do you have ATM?)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

So, I am starting to consider a CPU upgrade from my current I5 4690 (non k version).

hold on, your CPU is still plenty powerful to feed high-end graphics cards in games for at least another year or two...by then better CPU's will be available to you.

The upgrade from haswell core i5 to haswell core i7 is not worth it for gaming...at all...and it will take at least one more year before it will be really worth it...and your worthy upgrade will be from haswell i5 to skylake i7.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Nothing cost effective about upgrading from a 4690.

at least not from a gaming standpoint, i fully agree.

Save the money and get a better GPU? (What do you have ATM?)

he has a r9 290 which is perfectly fine for 1080p gaming...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

at least not from a gaming standpoint, i fully agree.he has a r9 290 which is perfectly fine for 1080p gaming...

That's why I asked what he had.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

That's why I asked what he had.

if money is burning the pocket i suggest he gets another R9 290 for crossfire and a big fucking PSU and a 1440p display...that'S what i'd do. :)

Thank you all for your worthwhile replies!

I think I will follow your suggestions and hold on for now. It is true that I don't really feel like I "need" an upgrade now since my computer is performing well, I was just starting to think about it since, in the next couple of months, I will have some spare cash and I could spend it If i wanted. 

Still, that doesn't mean I should. I can save it for a later upgrade.

I will stick to my mobo and cpu for now and pay close attention to future developments and will decide then.

As for my gpu, yes I am waiting on the 300 series from Amd to come out and then I will calmly see how it performs, how much it costs and  how it will affect nvidia prices and I might make a decision then. Although I like the idea of a out of the box water cooled gpu and the black/red theme matches my current build to perfection.

I currently own a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc which i got pretty cheap a while ago and it performs pretty well for 1080p gaming (my current monitor is 1080p).

Thank you all again, you were all thoughtful in your responses and I really appreciate it! 

if money is burning the pocket i suggest he gets another R9 290 for crossfire and a big fucking PSU and a 1440p display...that'S what i'd do. :)

Hehe I thought about it, but I would need a different case also for that so when you add a decent 1440p monitor to another r9 290 + a PSU and a new case that is a bigger investment than a new processor, even if I would buy a new MOBO + CPU. 

I prefer to wait until new GPU releases and she how the market shapes up for that. :)

Hehe I thought about it, but I would need a different case also for that so when you add a decent 1440p monitor to another r9 290 + a PSU and a new case that is a bigger investment than a new processor, even if I would buy a new MOBO + CPU. 

I prefer to wait until new GPU releases and she how the market shapes up for that. :)

yes i'm doing the same...i have intentions to move to 1440p as well once a single powerful enough card will be available..but with the informations i've gathered so far on the R9 390X it looks like this thing will require to have at least a very solid 650W PSU to run it...so that would mean a new PSU as well for me...do you have a good PSU ATM?

I think i will have to wait for the Titan X or the later ''cut-down'' versions of the titan X to be available.

yes i'm doing the same...i have intentions to move to 1440p as well once a single powerful enough card will be available..but with the informations i've gathered so far on the R9 390X it looks like this thing will require to have at least a very solid 650W PSU to run it...so that would mean a new PSU as well for me...do you have a good PSU ATM?

I think i will have to wait for the Titan X or the later ''cut-down'' versions of the titan X to be available.

I have got a Cooler Master G750M 80+ bronze. 

I think it should be fine, especially if I am not overclocking a CPU with it.

But if I have to upgrade my psu at that time it is ok, you can already get good 80+ gold psu for less than 100€/$ at this point and that should be more than enough for a single gpu card.

I have got a Cooler Master G750M 80+ bronze. 

I think it should be fine, especially if I am not overclocking a CPU with it.

But if I have to upgrade my psu at that time it is ok, you can already get good 80+ gold psu for less than 100€/$ at this point and that should be more than enough for a single gpu card.

no you will be able to safely run the R9 390X with that...unless the card draw 500W+ which i highly doubt...i think we'll see peaks at around 400W...maximum...that still leave you way enough room for CPU and the rest.