SSD or HDD?

urdead5141

First post on the forum and i'm asking for help... gg :)

Now for awhile now i've been surviving on a single WD 500GB drive. I want to upgrade but i'm not sure if i should get a 1-2TB WD Black or a 256GB SSD for fast loading. I use my computer mostly for gaming and i have alot of games and my 500GB has only 5-50GB free space at any one time. http://puu.sh/gdAI6/6864be7776.png

I do plan to buy games like GTA5 and BFH. So to me the choice seems clear for the HDD but i would feel like i'm missing out. I've already read all the pinned topics they were pretty helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Depends. Do you want speed or more space? The speed is system wide, as is the storage.

get the ssd and keep the hdd. put your os and most played games on the ssd, install the rest of your games and progs on the hdd along with all your music, pics etc.

real talk.

also, welcome to the forums.

When in doubt, re-format.

Now for awhile now i've been surviving on a single WD 500GB drive. I want to upgrade but i'm not sure if i should get a 1-2TB WD Black or a 256GB SSD for fast loading. I use my computer mostly for gaming and i have alot of games and my 500GB has only 5-50GB free space at any one time. http://puu.sh/gdAI6/6864be7776.png

I do plan to buy games like GTA5 and BFH. So to me the choice seems clear for the HDD but i would feel like i'm missing out. I've already read all the pinned topics they were pretty helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Get an SSD. Windows takes about 20GB of storage, so having that on an SSD is gonna give you some free space on your hard drive. However, you have to reinstall Windows and all of your games (unless they're Steam).

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

get the ssd and keep the hdd. put your os and most played games on the ssd, install the rest of your games and progs on the hdd along with all your music, pics etc.

real talk.

also, welcome to the forums.

not relevant but i dont care about game times just os times i was just wondering why everyone cares about game load times

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

not relevant but i dont care about game times just os times i was just wondering why everyone cares about game load times

I care about game load times because some games take forever to load off an HDD and if I already have the ssd space available, might as well use up the speedy storage for games, considering that is what I use my pc most for. 256 gb is more than enough to house windows + a lot of progs + games so leaving the ssd mostly empty would be a huge waste IMHO

EDIT: also, we spend all this time and money to make our pc's as fast as possible, why wouldnt you want your games to load faster as well?

When in doubt, re-format.

As stated above, buy an SSD and load Windows, some small programs, and games onto it, while keeping the HDD in the system. When I need more space, what i do is i delete the games I'm not playing at a particular time. You can always reinstall them later.

"We are not defined by the lives we are forced to live, but by the choices we are free to make"

WD Black2 is a single 2.5" that contains an internal 120GB SSD and a 1TB 7200RPM (afaik) HDD.

Use the SSD for the OS, and all Programs. Use the HDD for all data, and games.

Boom.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

A 500GB SSD is also a great investment. HyperX's 3K or Savage SSD I've heard good things about

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Hi there @urdead5141!

It depends pretty much on what you want more. For gaming basically the drive will give you only faster loading times and in case that's what you're after, then the SSD will suit better. On the other hand, if it's storage space that matters more, then go with the Black drive.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

I got a SSD and I would go nuts if I had to go back. You get spoiled by the load speed.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

SSDs vs Hard Drives as Fast As Possible 

http://youtu.be/YQEjGKYXjw8

Tillie - The Little Engine That Could

Gigabyte H97-Gaming 3 || Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit || i5 4690 || MSI GTX960 2GB || Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB || Samsung 850EVO 120GB

WD Black 1TB HDD || Cooler Master VSM 650 || Razer Black Widow Ultimate || Razer Deathadder || Razer Kraken Pro || NZXT Source 340/ White & X61

Thanks in advance.

Budget?

I love the performance of an SSD But they are not as reliable. I had one go out on me recently and only last about 2 years or so. I decided to put 2 WD Velocirapter 10,000 RPM Drives in a Raid 0 and overall I am happy with the performance My dad has had several Velocirapters and each time he put 2 in a raid 0 and he has not had one go out on him so the durability on them I would say is great. Plus I got them on sale from newegg. That is just my 2 cents tho.