Samsung Galaxy S6 Camera Leaked (20MP, able to shoot in RAW, use manual focus and control the shutter speed, etc.)

Nineshadow

camera-1901.jpg

One of the most important features of a flagship smartphone is no doubt its camera, and Samsung has always been at the forefront when it comes to offering stellar camera performance on its devices (though it has fallen behind the competition in low-light photography). The awesome cameras on the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 4 have naturally made it a no-brainer that the Galaxy S6 will also deliver the goods, and we have managed to score some interesting details on the phone’s camera thanks to one of our insiders who managed to get hold of a Galaxy S6 prototype.

This particular prototype was fitted with a 20-megapixel rear camera (with optical image stabilization) and a 5-megapixel front camera; both sensors are made by Samsung (model numbers SLSI_S5K2T2_FIMC_IC and SLSI_S5K4E6_FIMC_IS). The rear camera will take photos in 20MP (5952×3348), 15MP (4464×3348), 11MP (3344×3344), 8MP (3264×2448), 6MP (3264×1836) and 2.4MP (2048×1152) resolution. The front-facing camera, meanwhile, is the same as the one found on the Galaxy A series.

It’s unclear if the company will use a 20-megapixel unit on the final version of the device. It will likely depend on factors like the sensor’s price and Samsung’s ability to mass produce it in enough quantities; Samsung could make the 20MP camera exclusive to the Edge variant considering the Edge variant won’t be as widely available as the standard Galaxy S6, which would also explain why the Galaxy S6 Edge appeared on benchmarks with a 20MP camera on-board.

We have also picked up information on the camera software on the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge. Samsung is using the APIs that debuted on Android 5.0 Lollipop to offer a Pro mode in the camera app. This Pro mode will enable the option to choose between three focus modes, including a manual focus mode similar to the one found on third-party apps like Manual Camera. We could possibly also get other advanced options, such the ability to save RAW images and control the shutter speed, which would give advanced users the power to shoot photos the way they want to.

There’s another small detail that was sent to us by our insider. Apparently, the gallery app will be more intuitive and easier to use, particularly in the way the user is presented with things like the option to delete or share an image. Basically, instead of just showing icons, the gallery app will show both the icon and text for the aforementioned controls, something that should help the average user considering it’s not always easy to decipher what a particular icon is for.

As always, there is a possibility that this information isn’t fully accurate, especially since it comes from a prototype device. The biggest uncertainly is the megapixel count of the Galaxy S6. A 20-megapixel camera would certainly be welcome considering it will be able to capture a high amount of detail, but it would also be better if Samsung focuses on improving the low-light performance as well instead of just focusing on the number of pixels that can fit in each picture.

The Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge will go official on March 1st at Mobile World Congress, and we will be trying our best to get more info on the two devices leading up to the announcement, so make sure to check back with us!

SOURCE

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Ooooh very nice. That PRO mode is very very veeery good. I'd totally love it. <3

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Samsung cameras have really come a long way. They're as good as the iPhone and Xperia phones. 

If this is the case, then I'll be very impressed, but so long as they can maintain good low light photography.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I dont really care as much about pixel count on a phone camera. Just make sure it can perform in a vvariety of conditions and have good results. If I really want a good shot I will be using my dslr anyway.

Blarg

I'm still waiting for the day that they all catch up to Nokia/Microsoft Lumia phones with Carl Zeiss. :)

all carl zeiss does is make the lenses, they have little effect and samsung has about the same quality lenses, carl zeiss is all branding. nokia does have good cameras though, mostly good camera software.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Samsung cameras have really come a long way. They're as good as the iPhone and Xperia phones. 

My S5 camera looks like shit if you don't have near studio lighting, there's a lot of noise in the image not to mention it only outputs in jpeg. They keep increasing the megapixels without really doing much to the sensor/lenses so picture quality doesn't really improve, I noticed only a small improvement over the S3 camera. They just do it because people are stupid and will go "Oh wow, 20MP camera. I'll get this phone instead because it has better specs.".

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I have both a S5 and a 6+...what exactly are you smoking? 

The S5 is serviceable, but its padding its specs with meaningless crap and increasing MP count on small sensors which only degrades the sensors ability to resolve detail especially in lower light. The 6+ takes far better shots than the S5, under studio level lighting is the only time the S5 has matched the 6+, and I know a few things on taking photos so its not like I'm a klutz with my gear. 

all carl zeiss does is make the lenses, they have little effect and samsung has about the same quality lenses, carl zeiss is all branding. nokia does have good cameras though, mostly good camera software.

Well yes, lenses. Nokia makes incredible software and combine them together and you get an insanely good camera. Let's all just take a step back and remember that in 2012 Lumia had full manual mode, insane low light performance and really accurate colors. Something some manufacturers still can't match and it's been over 2 and a half years.

And let's not start on phone sync software... 90% of them still can't get it right, they can't make simple functions Nokia made before 2005 on shitty Symbian to work perfectly. :D

My S5 camera looks like shit if you don't have near studio lighting, there's a lot of noise in the image not to mention it only outputs in jpeg. They keep increasing the megapixels without really doing much to the sensor/lenses so picture quality doesn't really improve, I noticed only a small improvement over the S3 camera. They just do it because people are stupid and will go "Oh wow, 20MP camera. I'll get this phone instead because it has better specs.".

Unless they're shoving in a substantially larger sensor, then increasing MP does nothing but degrade the overall image quality. 

All the software features like shutter speed and shooting raw is 99.9% confirmed for pretty much all Lollipop devices. Maybe not in the stock camera app but in third party ones thanks to the new Camera2 API (except the M7, or maybe it was the M8, because HTC hasn't implemented it for some reason).

I am very excited for that.

The only thing I am happy about reading these specs is the OIS. Their previous phones have been terrible in low/medium light and that will help quite a bit.

Unless they're shoving in a substantially larger sensor, then increasing MP does nothing but degrade the overall image quality. 

Except it bright light (like outdoor shots on a sunny day) where the extra MP can help resolve fine details.

Please don't tell me you are going to go "woho! Megapixels!" when Canon does it but go "buu! megapixels sucks" when Samsung does it.

There are pros and cons to it.

They did make the sensor bigger in the S5 but they also increased the MP so it has the same image quality as the S4, if not worse do to the horrible low light performance.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

They did make the sensor bigger in the S5 but they also increased the MP so it has the same image quality as the S4, if not worse do to the horrible low light performance.

The camera in the S5 was a big improvement over the S4. The pixel size is the same, but don't pretend like the S4 wasn't terrible in low light because it was.

There is more to a camera than just pixel size, and with the S5 they improved not only the software side of things, but also the hardware side (with a brand new sensor and camera architecture).

Galaxy S 4:

GS4crop.jpg

Galaxy S 5:

GS5crop.jpg

Except it bright light (like outdoor shots on a sunny day) where the extra MP can help resolve fine details.

Please don't tell me you are going to go "woho! Megapixels!" when Canon does it but go "buu! megapixels sucks" when Samsung does it.

There are pros and cons to it.

Canon shoved 50mp into the 5D for a very specific use case - studio and landscape shooting. Where low light is less a concern. Very, very specific use case. Its why Hasselblads are in that range too. Its for fine details. My D800e falls apart at this too, its high enough in MP count that low light use is hampered. And this is on devices with significantly larger sensors that can mitigate the risk. 

Samsung is shoving larger MP counts in disproportionate amounts compared to how much their increase the sensor, they aren't helping. As @AdamIsaacLang stated, the quality is not increasing because they jack up the MP more than they should jack up the sensor size.

I have never been impressed with Samsung cameras and the S5 did nothing to change that for me. Apple is a lot of things and people copy a fair amount, but the one thing these guys aren't copying enough is producing better IQ with the least amount of MP possible. HTC does far better IMHO than everyone else right now with their cameras. Samsung should at least look to them.  

Wow. Finally some good news about S6. I'm glad cameras are still improving.

You must be kidding. Without a good lens to resolve all the details, all the megapixel in the world will just be messy blur. Many high quality DSLR lenses often are more expensive than a high end camera body.

I have never been impressed with Samsung cameras and the S5 did nothing to change that for me. Apple is a lot of things and people copy a fair amount, but the one thing these guys aren't copying enough is producing better IQ with the least amount of MP possible. HTC does far better IMHO than everyone else right now with their cameras. Samsung should at least look to them.  

Oh God no... Not HTC. Their cameras are terrible. I think the iPhone has found a pretty good balance between pixel size and MP count. HTC has gone too far in the pixel count direction (and they are idiotic and removed things like OIS in the M8), and Samsung has gone far too far in the MP direction.

For some reason I think the LG G3 has a really good camera. I am not sure if it's because of the OIS but it manages to have the same pixel size as the Samsung phones (1.12µm) but take fantastic low light shots (even better than the M7 and M8).

I really hope LG increases the sensor size from 1/3.06" to let's say 1/2.6" (like in the Note 4) with the LG G4.

G3-labscenedarkcrop.jpg

M8crop.jpg

5scrop.jpg

You must be kidding. Without a good lens to resolve all the details, all the megapixel in the world will just be messy blur. Many high quality DSLR lenses often are more expensive than a high end camera body.

I don't think ZetZet is saying that the lens doesn't matter. What I think he is saying is that a lot of things has "Carl Zeiss" branding on it for marketing purposes. Even my webcam has Carl Zeiss glass and believe me, it's not a good lens.

My point was that lenses Samsung have are just as good, not that carl zeiss makes bad ones.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't think ZetZet is saying that the lens doesn't matter. What I think he is saying is that a lot of things has "Carl Zeiss" branding on it for marketing purposes. Even my webcam has Carl Zeiss glass and believe me, it's not a good lens.

All Sony point & shoot cameras have Carl Zeiss labels on them. But Carl Zeiss doesn't design nor manufacture any of those lens. Same for Leica to Panasonic and Schneider to Samsung.