GTX 960 4GB model coming in March

Rodneyg87

Haven't seen that video yet but it doesn't surprise me. Last generation two 760s performed better than a 780, and two 270Xs did better than a 290. For a long time using two 770s in SLI was the solution that made the most sense to a lot of people. If I were still content with 1080/1440p I wouldn't have bothered upgrading from my (3GB) 580s.

For me since I had to get rid of my old pc because of money issues in 2011 I've only played Xbox 360/one so going with a 1080p system is no issue for me since neither console consistently plays at 1080p usually a lot lower so I'll be happy staying at 1080 for at least another 2-3 years. 

For me since I had to get rid of my old pc because of money issues in 2011 I've only played Xbox 360/one so going with a 1080p system is no issue for me since neither console consistently plays at 1080p usually a lot lower so I'll be happy staying at 1080 for at least another 2-3 years. 

Yeah. I think we're at the stage now where if 1080p is enough for you then you're probably going to be ok for a little while. It's like 720p a generation ago.

haahahahahahah...1440p ON A 960

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Yeah. I think we're at the stage now where if 1080p is enough for you then you're probably going to be ok for a little while. It's like 720p a generation ago.

I honestly dont see 2k or even 4k becoming mainstream standard until the cost of monitors are under $150 and mid range gpu's can hit those resolutions without much fuss. Which more than likely is at least 3 years out and by that time 8k will be the new high end enthusiast grade equipment.  

haahahahahahah...1440p ON A 960

Go ahead and laugh but the 960 is a bit more powerful than people give it credit for. Watching Linus and Jays videos on the card shows it has a little more kick than people think. 

Go ahead and laugh but the 960 is a bit more powerful than people give it credit for. Watching Linus and Jays videos on the card shows it has a little more kick than people think. 

Kick? A 3 year old card (the 7970) can get a decent 10fps over the 960. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Kick? A 3 year old card (the 7970) can get a decent 10fps over the 960. 

A card that uses 100 more watts of power and has 1 more gig of vram I think the 960 is doing pretty good if its only losing to it by 10fps. Considering the 960 isn't targeted at the enthusiast that has a shit ton of money to blow, its targeted at the more budget minded people that want a good gaming experience without having to pay a lot to build nor on their power bills either.

I know me personally I am only planning to play Battlefield, WOW, LOL, and counter strike so the 960 is perfect for me I'll be able to achieve 50-60fps on high settings or better on each of those games on a 1080p panel. And because of how cheap the card is it's leaving plenty of money in my budget to buy the i7-4790k cpu that I need for my college work..

I honestly dont see 2k or even 4k becoming mainstream standard until the cost of monitors are under $150 and mid range gpu's can hit those resolutions without much fuss. Which more than likely is at least 3 years out and by that time 8k will be the new high end enthusiast grade equipment.  

It depends what you mean. Firstly I'm going to refrain from using "2k" since there's ambiguity as to what it means. It's least inaccurate to refer to 1080p by this title when talking about 16x9 displays, but lots of people use it interchangeably with 1440p and 2.5K so I'm going to just use the p notation. Nomenclature out of the way, I think finally PC monitors and entertainment TVs are going to separate standards again. 1080p will remain a standard for TVs since 2160p only even makes a difference for certain size TVs at a certain distance, and for a lot of people there is never going to be a benefit over 1080p. (In my living room, for instance, the space constraints paired with the orientation of the sofas, anything over 40" just wouldn't be appropriate.)

That being said, a high quality 1080p, 1440p and 2160p monitor would all be about the same price now, and an SLI solution to drive 2160p costs about as much as a 780 Ti used to so, expensive as that still is, we're not talking multiple Titans and costs in the thousands any more.

It depends what you mean. Firstly I'm going to refrain from using "2k" since there's ambiguity as to what it means. It's least inaccurate to refer to 1080p by this title when talking about 16x9 displays, but lots of people use it interchangeably with 1440p and 2.5K so I'm going to just use the p notation. Nomenclature out of the way, I think finally PC monitors and entertainment TVs are going to separate standards again. 1080p will remain a standard for TVs since 2160p only even makes a difference for certain size TVs at a certain distance, and for a lot of people there is never going to be a benefit over 1080p. (In my living room, for instance, the space constraints paired with the orientation of the sofas, anything over 40" just wouldn't be appropriate.)

That being said, a high quality 1080p, 1440p and 2160p monitor would all be about the same price now, and an SLI solution to drive 2160p costs about as much as a 780 Ti used to so, expensive as that still is, we're not talking multiple Titans and costs in the thousands any more.

I see what you mean but at he same time I think your still in the enthusiast mind set. Im referring more towards budget/entry level since an entry level 1080p panel is $150 or less, for example the one that I am planning to go with is a 24 inch BenQ GL2460HM for $139 vs most enthusiasts that have money to blow to get high quality panels wouldn't consider spending any less than $250-300 on a monitor. I've even considered foregoing a monitor all together and using my 42 inch vizio lcd tv but knowing how bad the input lag on that tv is whats keeping me from doing so.

WCCF FFS! The 128bit bus will die with that amount. The physical chip on the card will implode.

I doubt that. None knows how the maxwell is built up. GTX 980 8 GB versions are coming with only 256 bit bus? huh? Then it will die too?

Also WCCF have a source. They are following that source. You cannot blame WCCF for having a source to their article. 

Idk if you saw Linus WAN show when he used WCCF for a source. He was screwing with you once by saying "Hey here is WCCF, everyones favorite source". He was just saying that to make you guys angry:D and troll with you. WCCF is not coming up with something, they are  following others...

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

there's 4GB variants of super low budget graphic cards with Gddr3 (or worse) memory. I'm sure there's a market for a 4GB 960 for some nvidia fanboys - you don't have to be tech saavy to be a fanboy (usually its the opposite).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

there's 4GB variants of super low budget graphic cards with Gddr3 (or worse) memory. I'm sure there's a market for a 4GB 960 for some nvidia fanboys - you don't have to be tech saavy to be a fanboy (usually its the opposite).

I just wonder the price... the 770 4GB was so overpriced that even after the release of the R9 290 it remained with the same price of the R9 290 and 780, and currently it still underperforms the R9 280X.

I just wonder the price... the 770 4GB was so overpriced that even after the release of the R9 290 it remained with the same price of the R9 290 and 780, and currently it still underperforms the R9 280X.

I suppose for SLI it will make a difference, although that 128 bus on the 960 is going to get wrecked regardless. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Im far from a fanboy and im highly considering a 960 especially if one launches with 4gb of ddr5 vram. I have just had very bad luck with AMD on my previous build an am going Nvidia on this one. With the exception of my macbook pro that has a GTX 750M gpu I have 0 experience with Nvidia. The 960 just fits my budget perfectly for what I want.

Im far from a fanboy and im highly considering a 960 especially if one launches with 4gb of ddr5 vram. I have just had very bad luck with AMD on my previous build an am going Nvidia on this one. With the exception of my macbook pro that has a GTX 750M processor I have 0 experience with Nvidia. The 960 just fits my budget perfectly for what I want.

All I can say is: good luck with that - within that budget you could have a way better card. If you stretch it a little bit you would get a superior tier card.

You will be paying for marketing, just like the people with the 770 4GB.

One do what one wants with his money :)

All I can say is: good luck with that - within that budget you could have a way better card. If you stretch it a little bit you would get a superior tier card.

yep... if there's people willing to pay money for something, why not make it?  B)

Unfortunately I need a i7-4790k for college and only have an $1,100 budget so yea the 960 is it for me, plus why do I need a superior card if im not ever planning to go beyond 1080p gaming. Especially since I can always upgrade 1-2 years down the road when there is more money available for me to use.

Unfortunately I need a i7-4790k for college and only have an $1,100 budget so yea the 960 is it for me, plus why do I need a superior card if im not ever planning to go beyond 1080p gaming. Especially since I can always upgrade 1-2 years down the road when there is more money available for me to use.

If you are going for 1080p, then why the 4gb of vram? But either way, even for 1080p you could get better.

You might just stay for some time with the 4790K iGPU and buy a proper gpu 1 or 2 months down the road.

Anyway, this isn't the place for this discussion.

Pushing 4GB down 256bit is acceptable but down 128bit? That's mad.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

One do what one wants with his money  :)

The 4GB 770 makes a tonne of sense. If you SLI two of those together you get something that is dramatically better than a 780 and can handle high resolution better than dual 780/TIs.

I see what you mean but at he same time I think your still in the enthusiast mind set. Im referring more towards budget/entry level since an entry level 1080p panel is $150 or less, for example the one that I am planning to go with is a 24 inch BenQ GL2460HM for $139 vs most enthusiasts that have money to blow to get high quality panels wouldn't consider spending any less than $250-300 on a monitor. I've even considered foregoing a monitor all together and using my 42 inch vizio lcd tv but knowing how bad the input lag on that tv is whats keeping me from doing so.

I'm not in the enthusiast mindset. What I'm trying to say is that 1080p is so mainstream at the moment because it completely transcends every market. Budget monitors, enthusiast monitors, Home theatre/TV. I think this is going to change. I think it's going to stick around for media use, and I think it's going to linger for a while in the budget market. But I think ultimately as far as PC use is concerned it's going to go the way of 1366x768. Just looking at the statistics it's an extremely mainstream resolution, because it's on an awful lot of laptops. It's actually quite rare, though, to find it on modern stand-alone monitors. And when you do the price difference with budget 1080p displays is tiny.

4GB on a 760 is entirely pointless. Even ignoring the low 128-bit bus the card simply isn't powerful enough to take advantage of the extra memory. The card's performance is going to top out long before it uses that extra two gigs. The few games that actually use that kind of memory require a lot more horsepower than the 960 can throw out. Adding extra vram onto cheaper mainstream GPUs has always been worthless. For the rumored price you can find the R9 280x or for a little more the R9 290, both will beat the pants off of the 960. Shopping around for deals can net you a 780 for around that as well.

4GB on a 760 is entirely pointless. Even ignoring the low 128-bit bus the card simply isn't powerful enough to take advantage of the extra memory. The card's performance is going to top out long before it uses that extra two gigs. The few games that actually use that kind of memory require a lot more horsepower than the 960 can throw out. Adding extra vram onto cheaper mainstream GPUs has always been worthless. For the rumored price you can find the R9 280x or for a little more the R9 290, both will beat the pants off of the 960. Shopping around for deals can net you a 780 for around that as well.

Someone didn't read the thread. If you had you'd know that more vram on a budget gpu isn't for that.

By 4GB, you mean sell it as a 4GB card when it really only can utilize 3.5GB?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Someone didn't read the thread. If you had you'd know that more vram on a budget gpu isn't for that.

I did and I still stand by my point. Multi-GPU in the future? Okay but for $250 there are still better cards for that. All three cards I mentioned for around the same price perform better now and will have more to offer to multi-GPU set ups in the future.