Pseudechis porphyriacus - The Bitfenix Prodigy with a bite

Random_her0

I've built a fair few computers for myself and friends, and knew it was time for another one. Having seen a review of the Bitfenix Prodigy and the potential in such a small form factor, it was clear what my next build would be.

But I wanted to step it up.

I wanted to build a small, powerful and silent rig, hence the name - Wiki it ;)

So here it is, my first build log of my first mITX build.

Let's start with the basic components.

HARDWARE

CASE

Bitfenix Prodigy - obvs

CPU

Core i5 3570K - This will be a build with an emphasis on gaming, and bang for buck this is the go to gaming CPU. Just makes sense

MoBo

EVGA Z77 Stinger - Best looking mITX board by far IMO. Down sides is the lack of WiFi, but I have a solution to that which should give me very good WiFi capabilities

GPU

GeForce GTX 690 - If you are going all out, you might as well go top of the line!

RAM

8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1866MHz (Red) - Really, really, really nice looking RAM. I believe the vengeance low profile RAM is really under-utilized

SSD

2x Corsair Force GT SSD: 120GB and 90GB - High performance SSDs with great aesthetics and colours that match my scheme down to a tee

PSU

Corsair AX750 - More than sufficient power, fully modular (super important on a small form factor) and individually sleeved cables (red)

COOLING

Radiator

1x XSPC AX240 - Seriously nice 40mm radiators, which can compete with some of the big 60mm rads

1x XSPC AX120

Fans

3x Corsair SP 120 Performance Edition - Great aesthetics, great performance, low noise (with the 7v adapter)

1x Corsair AF 120 Quiet Edition

CPU Block

EK Supremacy Nickel/Plexi - Beautiful GPU block. Should look great with some coolant flowing through it

GPU Block

EK FC690 GTX Nickel/Plexi - I know some people like the EK blocks and some don't, but I'm really a fan. Think they will look really sharp. Great performance as well

Pump

Swiftech MCP35X-BK - Will handle the loop with no issues, and silently

Reservoir

EK-DDC X-Res 140 CSQ - Nice transparent cylinder shape, with easy mounting to the radiator

Coolant

Mayhem's Pastel Red Concentrate - Should be the perfect colour, and Mayhem's is super reliable

Tubing

PrimoFlex Advanced LRT - Clear, minimal staining (though either way that shouldn't be an issue as I won't change the colour)

Fittings

Combination of EK and Bitspower matte black fittings

I'll be updating this post, including pictures of mods and such as I progress towards the finished build. Please Please Please contribute and give me suggestions and opinions. I've found when I build a PC I can get too caught up in things and can't step back and make a unibiased opinion on whether or not something looks good or not.

Custom Watercooled Parvum Systems S2.0: Vulpes

Combining spare parts into something worthy: Frankenstein

BitFenix Phenom gaming powerhouse: Blood in the Snow

post-5987-13667861370487_thumb.jpgUPDATE #1

90acccf9_IMG_0002.jpeg

Decided to try out my spray paint on the GPU end plate to get a feel for whether or not it would match up with other components, with the intentions of using it on the rads if it does. I think it came out really well :)

Im watching with keen enthusiasm as im about to tinker with a prodigy orange case. Card looks great. Im thinking of doing that to my 560ti but in orange. How hard is it to do?

Was really easy. Just got some decent spray paint, and quite a few light coats, probably 5-6 and I got the desired intensity/shade.

Will post pictures of the radiators by Sunday/Monday

Should ask in modders forum but do you prime it or sand it or just a straight metal spray paint

Should ask in modders forum but do you prime it or sand it or just a straight metal spray paint
Sand down the metal so the primer sticks to the metal and then prime the metal and then paint the metal with several coats of paint.

Thanks aden i have a spare card i will try first then i will go to my decent card.

Both rads have been painted, and I'm liking it :) Will post pictures in about 12hours or so when I'm confident the paint is sufficiently dry to piece back together

Ok guys,, bit of an issue. Whenever I try and upload pictures I get a "Duplicate_title" error. Anyone know what the deal is with that? I'll try posting a new thread to ask if anyone knows the fix, but until then I can't give you updates :(

UPDATE #2

Radiators are done Really happy with how they came out as this was my first time spraying something like this. All it took was patience, and plenty of light coats. If you would like to know which pain I used PM me.

To re-confirm, these are the XSPC AX series rad. The reason I chose these is because they are 40mm thick, which is pushing the maximum thickness for my build but they can perform like some 60mm radiators, So it was a win-win for me. The core is easily removable as well, just need to take of the end plates, each of which is held down by 4 torx screws. I feel like I should add a disclaimer to DEFINITELY NOT DO THAT!

I'm a bit OCD, so I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll be painting the rings on the Corsair SP120 fans. They come off so it would be an easy enough job. The red is almost the same already, perhaps a 95% match. I haven't attached it yet as the paint is still a wee bit soft, I'll probably wait another 24 hours to be sure and then make a decision.

The issue I have now is that there isn't much to do until the case arrives. It's having some (hopefully) cool mods done to it, and the guy who is doing them recently had a serious family emergency, so everything got pushed back. Unfortunately, I doubt the case will be here until about 2 weeks time. I will continue to update as the remaining pieces arrive though, I have a bout 4 different shipments making their way to me from various places around the world.

If nothing arrives by Wednesday, I'll post a quick little update of how I am dealing with the lack of built in WiFi with the EVGA Z77 Stinger. It's not too complicated, pretty cheap (everything cost me ~$50) and should give me a high performing signal. Certainly better than any USB adapter up to and past $100.

So until next time, here are the pics. Let me know what you think!!

513b6565_IMG_0007.jpega964eb79_IMG_0010.jpeg2b75cada_IMG_0012.jpeg925a6e38_IMG_0013.jpegff8c67e1_IMG_0014.jpeg

p.s For whatever reason (probably me being a TERRIBLE photographer) the colours in the pictures are never the same as they are to the naked eye. I touched it up in photoshop a bit to try and get the colours more accurate, but they aren't quite there. If you have anything Corsair and red, go look at it. very similar to that

That looks awesome. Well done and i too are waiting for my case and mobo to arrive

That looks awesome. Well done and i too are waiting for my case and mobo to arrive

Thanks! Frustrating waiting for things to arrive piece by piece. Want to get this together ASAP!!

UPDATE #3 - THE FITTINGS

So I wasn't expecting anything to arrive for a few days at least, but instead I received two separate shipments this morning biggrin.gif

The first contained my monitor (and I made sure to choose one that will make the most of the 690), but I'll do an update with all my peripherals later, probably once I get everything set up so I can show off what it looks like all together.

The second shipment will be the focus of the day. Originally I bought some EK fittings (90degree and compression) but quickly realised that whilst probably sufficient, it would be the absolute minimum and would lead to some ugly tubing routing. I made the decision to go ahead and order quite a few additional fittings which should more than cover me for any unforeseen obstacles. I almost opted for a drainage solution, partly for ease of use, partly for aesthetics tongue.gif

So, here are the parts I'll be using:

LL

LL

LL

As you can tell, the last 2 fittings are the EK fittings, and they lack the golden symbol found on some of the Bitspower fittings. this shouldn't be too much of an issue as the blacks match up really well. Only someone desperate to find oddities would notice they aren't the same brand.

Here is my solution for drainage, its a Bitspower Mini Valve attached to a Bitspower T-Block using a mini dual extender. The attached compression fitting at the end of the valve will not be there for day to day use, it is just on to give an idea of how the tubing will connect to the drainage valve. I plan to have this at the bottom of the loop, in order for the coolant to passively drain when I open the valve. I should point out that I don't expect to have to replace the Mayhem's coolant often, perhaps once a year. but I do plan on having this set up for a good amount of time!

LL

I also received my Alchemy Bitfenix white LED strip, Silverstone magnetised fan filters and ModSmart fan grills, but I'll give an update on those when attached to the radiators for a finished look at the cooling.

Fingers crossed my order from the States arrives in the next couple of days. That will include my EVGA Stinger board, coolant+tubing, psu cables and a few other bits and pieces. Then it'll just be a matter of waiting for the case, and installing everything!!

Ok question time, need some input!

Here is the what the radiators look like with the grill on them:

0e45160e_IMG_0030.jpeg

So here is my question, to paint the grills red, or not?
note: the grills will be on the inner most side of the radiator

LL

I'd stick with the black. The contrast with the outer red and the black in the middle looks great, I think you might lose that effect if you colour the grill red. Just my opinion. :)

@BubbleSauce, Turns out I had the sense to order a spare grill. Gave it a test run in red and it was definitely too much :P

crazy build!!! I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one!

Main Rig | Dell u3415w | Enthoo Evolv ATX - Intel i7 5930k - Corsair H110i GTX - ASUS X99-A - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - WD Black 1TB - Corsair LPX 4x8GB - EVGA ACX 780 Ti |

Home Media Server | Fractal Design Node 304 - Intel 4770k - ASUS Z87I Deluxe - Kingston V300 120GB - 2x Western Digital Red 3TB - Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB |

Developer System | 2012 Apple Mac Mini - Intel i5 - 16GB - Samsung 840 250GB - 500GB |

Commuting Tech | 2015 Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" - Intel i5 - 8GB - 128GB | Apple iPad Air 16GB | iPhone 6 64GB |

those rads look freaking beautiful. XSPC made the right choice by making the core removable for easy paint mods

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

LL

i would stay with the black. otherwise it could be red overlaod. Unless however you have a spare grill in which case spray it red and take a pic of both. Personally stay with the black. its a safer option

LL

I would definitely stay with the black, it looks SWEET!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Hi,

First time i have ever contemplated painting anything so i started with an old card. Was going to spray the plastic but once i got the stickers off i thought the smoke plastic looked awesome. So in the end it is just the IO metal which was silver and wanted a Matt Black Rough finish. I am stoked about it for a first time let me know what you think. Thanks to you guys in this thread that gave me the knowledge.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u546/mightybaal/PC%20mods%20and%20builds/FrontBlackNormalLight8800gts_zps08691b02.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u546/mightybaal/PC%20mods%20and%20builds/Normallight8800gtsfins_zpsec399728.jpg

This is looking promising so far :). When you said you were painting the radiators I was a bit worried but obviously you're not stupid :P

Loving the colour scheme, just make sure to keep some black accents in there.

Here is a rad with with a red and black grill installed for comparison. Final thoughts on which is better, red or black?

a42cd32b_IMG_0031.jpeg

Keeping in mind that the coolant will be red, with black fittings I think the black grill is the way to go.