media PC remote?

ItherNiT

Hi all, I would like to know can you get a remote for media pc's? I basically want to install media PC but keyboard and mouse sort of problematic, please don't recommend consoles I really don't like them.  

Asus P8P67 (G3) | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz | 12GB Corsair Vengeance | MSI PE OC 660Ti

OCZ Agility 4 128GB | Corsair GS 700W psu | CM Storm Enforcer | CM Storm Sirus | Razer BlackWidow

Wall of shame/honor

Why don't you use your phone as a remote? If you got android and a wifi connection, you'll be fine using Unified Remote.

Wi RoZ

I want my parents to be able to use it as well, they are technological impaired, my mom doesn't even know how to select a printer...

Asus P8P67 (G3) | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz | 12GB Corsair Vengeance | MSI PE OC 660Ti

OCZ Agility 4 128GB | Corsair GS 700W psu | CM Storm Enforcer | CM Storm Sirus | Razer BlackWidow

Wall of shame/honor

Any computer retailer should keep a stock of "MCE certified IR Remotes". These generally (though not always, so check the product details) come with a USB IR Receiver as well.

You plug the IR Receiver in, it's plug-n-play and gets detected and installed. It's fully compatible with Windows Media Centre, and also generally works with other media programs (Like XBMC, Plex, VLC). Just, not every key will work with the non-WMC programs.

You can then use 3rd party programs to fully program and customize the non-functional keys.

One example of a more expensive remote would be any of the Logitech Harmony series. Logitech provides the remapping program free-of-charge with your purchase, where other 3rd party programs may cost you.

[Edit]

Something like this:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=81077&vpn=29662&manufacture=CABLES%20TO%20GO

Although that price is a bit high. I've seen the same type of thing for as cheap as $30 or less. I bought one from Canada Computers a few months ago for $30.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you have a harmony remote you can use its software to program it to act as MCE keyboard/mouse.

You just need to buy an IR transeiver like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USB-MCE-IR-Wireless-Receiver-Win7-Vista-FOR-HP-fast-shipping-/251279301065?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item3a8169d9c9#ht_2431wt_1142

This is how I do it for my HTPC.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Any computer retailer should keep a stock of "MCE certified IR Remotes". These generally (though not always, so check the product details) come with a USB IR Receiver as well.

You plug the IR Receiver in, it's plug-n-play and gets detected and installed. It's fully compatible with Windows Media Centre, and also generally works with other media programs (Like XBMC, Plex, VLC). Just, not every key will work with the non-WMC programs.

You can then use 3rd party programs to fully program and customize the non-functional keys.

One example of a more expensive remote would be any of the Logitech Harmony series. Logitech provides the remapping program free-of-charge with your purchase, where other 3rd party programs may cost you.

[Edit]

Something like this:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=81077&vpn=29662&manufacture=CABLES%20TO%20GO

Although that price is a bit high. I've seen the same type of thing for as cheap as $30 or less. I bought one from Canada Computers a few months ago for $30.

Unfortunately non of the South African stores keep stock of any of the above, for the price of that remote I am able to get a media player, that will service to all my requirements.  

Wall of shame/honor

• 3 weeks later...

i would recommend just a apple tv but if ur decided on a pc then a mini wireless keyboard and track pad like what linus used to use for his streams would be a good option

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

Why don't you use your phone as a remote? If you got android and a wifi connection, you'll be fine using Unified Remote.

I agree i use it myself and it has anything u might need

current PC:
/|| Case: coolermaster cm690 windowed || Motherboard: gigabyte GAZ68XP-UD3 || CPU: i5 2500 || RAM: 2 random samsung 4GB dims || GPU: GTX470 || PSU: coolmax 850w || Storage: segate 1TB + 60GB ssd cache (intel RST) || GPU CPU cooled by custom cooling loop ||\

I will agree about getting an apple TV or a western Digital TV. http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=4800

OT: Do you go to OC?

Apparently there is also an android box out now that does the same thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hi! In our HTPC we tried everything: first we got a wireless mouse for like $5 off meritline or a frys deal ( i dont remember but it was cheap) it had a little usb reciever and was a basic remote = this was nice but it really limited the use of the full computer (typing was a pain), next we tried an ios, and android app = these work well if you find a good app (for us the thing kept disconnecting and it just became a nuance) so finally my dad bought the logitech k400 and its great and only $30 US at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG

i know you didnt say u wanted a keyboard and mouse but honestly its the best option out there. this one especially is pretty thin and has a trackpad (which is very responsive) and is relatively inexpensive. i would suggest you just get this and skip all the trouble of testing different options. as for teaching your parents: i think it would be easier for them to use this over some fancy remote like a logitech harmony and also easier than using a mobile app.

this is just my suggestion, i hope you find something that fits your needs!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Hi! In our HTPC we tried everything: first we got a wireless mouse for like $5 off meritline or a frys deal ( i dont remember but it was cheap) it had a little usb reciever and was a basic remote = this was nice but it really limited the use of the full computer (typing was a pain), next we tried an ios, and android app = these work well if you find a good app (for us the thing kept disconnecting and it just became a nuance) so finally my dad bought the logitech k400 and its great and only $30 US at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG

i know you didnt say u wanted a keyboard and mouse but honestly its the best option out there. this one especially is pretty thin and has a trackpad (which is very responsive) and is relatively inexpensive. i would suggest you just get this and skip all the trouble of testing different options. as for teaching your parents: i think it would be easier for them to use this over some fancy remote like a logitech harmony and also easier than using a mobile app.

this is just my suggestion, i hope you find something that fits your needs!

That's exactly what I have, the k400 rocks my theatre, I also use it in bed with the lappy under the bed connected to the tv.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What about xtreamer - http://www.xtreamer.net/

you have a ton of variations from hd players to tv boxes

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

People, we are in South Africa.... 80% of products either don't come here or only come after 3 months... Also shipping you have to pay out of your ass for it.

\

Mediaportal is a htpc program that runs on windows and it supports MCE remotes.  Microsoft dont make them anymore, but u can pick up a Hauppage MCE remote pretty cheap these days.... or any other "MCE" remote.  keep in mind that a PC remote control needs a "sensor" that connected by USB, which usually comes with the remote.

This is what it looks like :

http://pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11589

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that Apple's TV remote controller can be configured within XBMC.

The only pain you will get is to remember wich button does what..

crafted personality!

It's for cases like these that I wish there were some way to configure the PS3 Media Remote. It's a nice little remote, cheap, bluetooth, has all the buttons I could think you'd want, but I guess there's not a big enough demand for someone to make this a thing, and I lack the technological know-how to even know where to start lol.

I have a ThermalTake Media Lab VFD 5.25 Bay Panel , A2328 or A2331 not sure which one i have, got it a while ago now , running in one of my HTPC's .

Picked up of eBay Australia for about au$110 or so .

Fitted nicely into my Thermaltake Bach MediaLAB case

• 3 weeks later...

Just buy a dedicated $100 tablet for using with it instead of your phone

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

I got one of these off ebay. 7 or 8 bucks. free shipping

new-toshiba-mce-g83c0004d110-remote-cont

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4