Is water cooling portable?

kpreg

So I've seen some pretty cool water cooled builds. I'm seriously considering making an investment towards a full custom loop.

I travel a lot with my computer, and I'd like to know if a water cooling system can be portable. I plan on having my two 970 STRIX and my 4790k in the loop. 

If it is portable, could you direct me towards some reliable water cooling hardware?

Thanks in advance.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

So I've seen some pretty cool water cooled builds. I'm seriously considering making an investment towards a full custom loop.

I travel a lot with my computer, and I'd like to know if a water cooling system can be portable. I plan on having my two 970 STRIX and my 4790k in the loop. 

If it is portable, could you direct me towards some reliable water cooling hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Water cooling is possible to be watercooled especially in a small form factor case, but if you are worried about something happening to the loop during transport the main thing is to support the GPU since the cooper block and water adds a fair bit of weight sometimes more than the stock cooler so if you plan to travel it's not a bad idea to make s foam support block to hold it in place just in case. As for compression fittings it's fairly difficult to slip off since the tube is held in place very well. 

We could say they are antonyms... Bitspower has some fittings that are actually very strong, so the major risk (leak on transport) gets reduced a lot.The GPU(s) will welcome any extra support, as the filled blocks can get pretty heavy. The res should be small and very well mounted, rads with at least m4 bolts and nuts. Even if you manage to build it robustly, you will still suffer it's weight.

Water cooling is possible to be watercooled especially in a small form factor case, but if you are worried about something happening to the loop during transport the main thing is to support the GPU since the cooper block and water adds a fair bit of weight sometimes more than the stock cooler so if you plan to travel it's not a bad idea to make s foam support block to hold it in place just in case. As for compression fittings it's fairly difficult to slip off since the tube is held in place very well. 

We could say they are antonyms... Bitspower has some fittings that are actually very strong, so the major risk (leak on transport) gets reduced a lot.The GPU(s) will welcome any extra support, as the filled blocks can get pretty heavy. The res should be small and very well mounted, rads with at least m4 bolts and nuts. Even if you manage to build it robustly, you will still suffer it's weight.

Yeah, the leak and GPU support were my main concerns. Thanks for the info! Do you know any reputable manufactures that make GPU support bars or something of that nature?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Yeah, the leak and GPU support were my main concerns. Thanks for the info! Do you know any reputable manufactures that make GPU support bars or something of that nature?

Other than seeing most people use fishing wire or zip ties not a really elegant solution other than one with a telescopic pole which looked odd to me. I would suggest to get a nice and dense piece of closed cell packing foam and have it wedge between the top of the case to the bottom and cut a notch out to hold and support the GPU during transport and remove it once in place as a temporary support. 

Silverstone and Lian Li include them in some of their cases; and sell case parts as well. You would have to look it up.

Portable yes easy to move no I went for a massive case and it weighs 62 pounds fully built. 

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

@kpreg

You might be interested in something similar to this: http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=Case+Mods&id=10588&com=d41d8cd9 I'm not sure how spacing will work out with SLI. The little spacer thing is adjustable at the end for different sized GPUs, are water blocks much thinner than a stock cooler? I think you should be able to still adjust it to support the copper block if you want to. 

Not sure if this will work for you but just a thought! Your build seems pretty awesome good luck!

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

@kpreg

You might be interested in something similar to this: http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=Case+Mods&id=10588&com=d41d8cd9 I'm not sure how spacing will work out with SLI. The little spacer thing is adjustable at the end for different sized GPUs, are water blocks much thinner than a stock cooler? I think you should be able to still adjust it to support the copper block if you want to. 

Not sure if this will work for you but just a thought! Your build seems pretty awesome good luck!

Portable yes easy to move no I went for a massive case and it weighs 62 pounds fully built.

Silverstone and Lian Li include them in some of their cases; and sell case parts as well. You would have to look it up.

Other than seeing most people use fishing wire or zip ties not a really elegant solution other than one with a telescopic pole which looked odd to me. I would suggest to get a nice and dense piece of closed cell packing foam and have it wedge between the top of the case to the bottom and cut a notch out to hold and support the GPU during transport and remove it once in place as a temporary support.

Thanks for the advice! The pudget support was just what I was looking for. Ill probably jam some packing foam in there during transport just to be safe.

I have my GPU on a custom loop and have transported it back and forth across town before. My reservoir is in a drive bay and my radiator is mounted pretty firmly to the bottom of my case. Some other hardware might have less robust mounting options and reduce portability, but I haven't had any issues driving my particular setup around. It's VERY heavy though.