So Goeff Keighley is doing an award show and Ubisoft Montreal is nominated as Dev of the Year....No joke

Misanthrope

There is a ton of shit slinging from both sides of that debate. The only people that come out of it well in my eyes are people like Jeff Gertsman who simply do their best to ignore the entire damn thing.

No: To this day Kotaku never acknowledged that they did anything wrong, when they fucking did (pun intended). They also never apologized for their attacks and generalizations against their core audience. Sorry but you're wrong here: Most of us are rational people who simply are not distracted by strawman arguments and self victimization and other bullshit tactics from "their side"

-------

Current Rig

-------

TB doesn't do reviews. 

If TB doesn't does reviews then what the fuck do you call what all others do on their full fledged "reviews" given how they are a lot less in-depth, a lot more partial and disclose virtually nothing? If anything he is doing the "impressions" just to spite others saying "See? Even with this I still don't consider this a full review, unlike your 800 word write up that mainly rephrases the press release and slaps a number at the end"

-------

Current Rig

-------

TB doesn't do reviews. If you call his videos reviews you might as well start calling Giant Bomb's quick looks reviews because they're the same thing. Speaking of which the GB crew is pretty good as well.

Did you actually just say that? Seriously? Wow....just...no.

No: To this day Kotaku never acknowledged that they did anything wrong, when they fucking did (pun intended). They also never apologized for their attacks and generalizations against their core audience. Sorry but you're wrong here: Most of us are rational people who simply are not distracted by strawman arguments and self victimization and other bullshit tactics from "their side"

They did do this thing "A brief note about the continued discussion about Kotaku's approach to reporting.We've long been wary of the potential undue influence of corporate gaming on games reporting, and we've taken many actions to guard against it. The last week has been, if nothing else, a good warning to all of us about the pitfalls of cliquishness in the indie dev scene and among the reporters who cover it. We've absorbed those lessons and assure you that, moving ahead, we'll err on the side of consistent transparency on that front, too. 

We appreciate healthy skepticism from critics and have looked into—and discussed internally—concerns. We agree on the need to ensure that, on the occasion where there is a personal connection between a writer and a developer, it's mentioned. We've also agreed that funding any developers through services such as Patreon introduce needless potential conflicts of interest and are therefore nixing any such contributions by our writers. Some may disagree that Patreons are a conflict. That's a debate for journalism critics. 

Ultimately, I believe you readers want the same thing my team, without exception, wants: a site that feels bullshit-free and independent, that tells you about what's cool and interesting about gaming in a fair way that you can trust. I look forward to focusing ever more sharply on that mission."

http://kotaku.com/a-brief-note-about-the-continued-discussion-about-kotak-1627041269

But they never fired anyone to my knowledge

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

BF4 and BF3 were shit because of the choices DICE made, not just because of EA's "MUST BEAT COD TO RELEASE" timeline.

I disagree both of these games are great and the daily player counts of 50.000 on PC show that people are enjoying the games over year after release.

Of course the games are completely buggy on release when they get only 2 years of development time.

Battlefield 2 had 2-3 years development time and was PC exclusive.

Battlefield 4 had 2 years and was coming out for 5 platforms and you want to tell me the games state has nothing to do with deadlines and console parity?

Now let's look at some of the highest rated games of last year:

The Last Of Us 4 years development and released only on one platform with 1 extra year for the Ps4 port.

GTA 5 5 years development for 2 platforms + 1 and a half year dev time for Ps4/XboxOne/PC port.

RTX2070OC 

Video games award shows are nothing but a joke. I really couldn't care less what some random nobody(or group random people) says is the best game of the year or best developer we all know it means nothing and who the hell watches award shows of any type anyway unless they're looking to be bored to death(or at least put to sleep).

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

If TB doesn't does reviews then what the fuck do you call what all others do on their full fledged "reviews" given how they are a lot less in-depth, a lot more partial and disclose virtually nothing? If anything he is doing the "impressions" just to spite others saying "See? Even with this I still don't consider this a full review, unlike your 800 word write up that mainly rephrases the press release and slaps a number at the end"

I call it exactly what it is: A look at the generally early parts of a game and impressions based on that. TB has explained on numerous occasions in SEVERAL places why he doesn't believe they're reviews and quite frankly I agree. Other people writing bad reviews doesn't automatically mean TB's videos are reviews. There is room for more critique in the game industry beyond the banner of "review" and having things like WFT Is existing outside of that little box is a good thing.

How does my saying the only people that come out of well are those that try to ignore it apply to Kotaku who have editors that have directly engaged GamerGate? Beyond that I've stated my opinion on the entire GamerGate movement before and have no interest in starting that again as I've heard it all before and it won't effect my opinion nor do I want to derail this thread off on a topic where I quite frankly couldn't care less what people think of my opinion on.

I call it exactly what it is

An argument mostly on semantics on what constitutes a review. Sorry but there is no need to subject yourself to games that are 6-10 hours average for me to know enough about the game. It's not a fucking deconstruction or essay and it doesn't require a reviewer to complete it from start to finish or 100% completion, seeing how most gamers today honestly never bother anyway.

How does my saying the only people that come out of well are those that try to ignore it apply to Kotaku who have editors that have directly engaged GamerGate?

Willful ignorance minimizes a valid argument against their verifiable bias on top of the not proven but very obvious bias in all of their other reviews as well (i.e. Angry Joe vs IGN on Titanfall) I had a big fucking problem with all gaming "press" years before this gamergate stuff, and to me people who try to take an innocent stand like you of "Oh I'm just ignoring it" usually do exactly what you just did here saying "Oh well this is way off topic" which is doing exactly what I hate: trying to excuse this sons of bitches by minimizing or ignoring the issue.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Goeff Keighley has always been a joke to me. Seems like he is still trying to be relevant.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

An argument mostly on semantics on what constitutes a review. Sorry but there is no need to subject yourself to games that are 6-10 hours average for me to know enough about the game. It's not a fucking deconstruction or essay and it doesn't require a reviewer to complete it from start to finish or 100% completion, seeing how most gamers today honestly never bother anyway.

Willful ignorance minimizes a valid argument against their verifiable bias on top of the not proven but very obvious bias in all of their other reviews as well (i.e. Angry Joe vs IGN on Titanfall) I had a big fucking problem with all gaming "press" years before this gamergate stuff, and to me people who try to take an innocent stand like you of "Oh I'm just ignoring it" usually do exactly what you just did here saying "Oh well this is way off topic" which is doing exactly what I hate: trying to excuse this sons of bitches by minimizing or ignoring the issue.

I disagree. I like having the separate distinctions for things. I am kind of old school when it comes my views on press, journalism, and even reviews. I believe it is a reviewer's job to beat any single player game. It's a little different for games like MMOs or MP heavy experiences but a reviewer should still play long enough to understand the long term enjoyment or progression of the game. I don't care if most gamers beat games or not I care if the handful of reviewers like enough to follow do.

Well technically my thoughts on GamerGate are off topic especially when I don't want to be dragged into discussion them once again. I'll state my thoughts simply: I don't like most modern press period, I agree things need to change, there is too much shit slinging from both sides for me to want to get involved especially when at this point I don't think it will amount to all that much of a positive result. Your reaction is basically that if people ignore it or try to steer clear that they must be excusing some of the bad things, which is exactly what I utterly despise about these debates. Just because I don't wish to engage in the bullshit doesn't mean I'm against the goals or want to excuse the crap that goes on.

How is this a surprise to anyone? They will likely win too.

They have released in full/beta 11 games in 2014. Their stock is up nearly 50% from this time last year, and next year projections are looking to continue the trend.

On paper and everywhere besides consumer reviews, they are doing incredibly well.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I like Keighley.  It seems like he's trying to create something that we'll all like, given the resources that he has.  I'll keep watching.

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

I disagree. I like having the separate distinctions for things. I am kind of old school when it comes my views on press, journalism, and even reviews. I believe it is a reviewer's job to beat any single player game. It's a little different for games like MMOs or MP heavy experiences but a reviewer should still play long enough to understand the long term enjoyment or progression of the game. I don't care if most gamers beat games or not I care if the handful of reviewers like enough to follow do.

Well technically my thoughts on GamerGate are off topic especially when I don't want to be dragged into discussion them once again. I'll state my thoughts simply: I don't like most modern press period, I agree things need to change, there is too much shit slinging from both sides for me to want to get involved especially when at this point I don't think it will amount to all that much of a positive result. Your reaction is basically that if people ignore it or try to steer clear that they must be excusing some of the bad things, which is exactly what I utterly despise about these debates. Just because I don't wish to engage in the bullshit doesn't mean I'm against the goals or want to excuse the crap that goes on.

That's not always my reaction, I'm just weary of people trying to appease people when the issue at hand is important. I understand if you don't personally like to get involved in the discussion again, but there's no reason to discourage anyone who might. This is in fact, the first time that I see the issue being brought up without at least 1 person asking "What is that about?" because they genuinely did not know so I don't consider it unnecessary.

But yeah I suppose we can agree to disagree.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I like Keighley.  It seems like he's trying to create something that we'll all like, given the resources that he has.  I'll keep watching.

If that was the case he would have included at least 1 of "us" as a judge and not just gaming press exclusively. And no throwing in 1 or 2 viewer's vote category isn't enough, it's just pandering and patronizing to do that.

If the best he can offer it's just the perspective of the gaming press sponsored and "advised" by the perspective of the leading industry's CEOs then he can, quite honestly, fuck right off. Particularly this year.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If that was the case he would have included at least 1 of "us" as a judge and not just gaming press exclusively. And no throwing in 1 or 2 viewer's vote category isn't enough, it's just pandering and patronizing to do that.

If the best he can offer it's just the perspective of the gaming press sponsored and "advised" by the perspective of the leading industry's CEOs then he can, quite honestly, fuck right off. Particularly this year.

It seems like he's trying too hard to make it like a cheap version of the Oscars and that just doesn't work for games. It's like they're screaming "Take us seriously please take us seriously" and it comes off as pathetic.

I'm still not sure what he won that for. Being the first black president? Has he even done anything meaningful besides that? I don't accept the Usama bin laden thing because we don't have any actual confirmation of his death other than the government saying "we got him". And the whole healthcare thing just makes you want to bash your head against a wall.

I am really starting to think that Trolls run the world. TIME TO LEAVE >.<

He got it because since he was the first black president people EXPECTED great things from him... Which didn't happen. I think you are slightly crazy for denying that they got Osama :P but the credit goes to the seals, not the president. That is true for most things with most presidents, not just him.

Could "we" all agree which one of "us" would be that judge?  We can't even agree on which console is better  ^_^  

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Could "we" all agree which one of "us" would be that judge?  We can't even agree on which console is better  ^_^  

Sure we can: PC>WiiU>PS4>xbone

-------

Current Rig

-------

Sure we can: PC>WiiU>PS4>xbone

PC>XB1>PS4>WiiU

Now where is that agreement gone to

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

PC>XB1>PS4>WiiU

Now where is that agreement gone to

Nah, you know the PS4 is objectively better than the xbone except you like the 2 or 3 exclusives on it and you also know that the Wii U is the one that has the most exclusives and it's the most appealing to us PC Gamers. You just said that because you think it would support your arguments that we're a divided community that can't agree on anything, but we're not: We can agree on several things including what's relevant here like Ubisoft being fucking assholes to PC gamers.

That wasn't even a nice try by the way

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nah, you know the PS4 is objectively better than the xbone except you like the 2 or 3 exclusives on it and you also know that the Wii U is the one that has the most exclusives and it's the most appealing to us PC Gamers. You just said that because you think it would support your arguments that we're a divided community that can't agree on anything, but we're not: We can agree on several things including what's relevant here like Ubisoft being fucking assholes to PC gamers.

That wasn't even a nice try by the way

I actually have a PS4, but the XB1 won this year, bloodborne is what im holding out for

i don't like nintendo games, the Wii U has bad graphics and no multiplats, so it needs to piggyback on another platform, its also overpriced with a gimmicky touchscreen controller with a terrible battery life.

I don't get this whole PC + Wii U thing, its as if everyone but me adores mario Kart and thinks smash is a not terrible fighting game

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I actually have a PS4, but the XB1 won this year, bloodborne is what im holding out for

i don't like nintendo games, the Wii U has bad graphics and no multiplats, so it needs to piggyback on another platform, its also overpriced with a gimmicky touchscreen controller with a terrible battery life.

I don't get this whole PC + Wii U thing, its as if everyone but me adores mario Kart and thinks smash is a not terrible fighting game

Actually I don't either, I wouldn't get any consoles at all myself after trying PC gaming and steam. However I can see why people like Nintendo and it's exclusives as a lot of PC gamers are around my age group and managed to experience either the NES, SNES or N64 in their formative years before becoming PC gamers (Or if they're older like me, all 3) so I usually don't intervene too much anymore against Nintendo (though when they were a lot fucking worst with no fucking games I did said they were fucking idiots who botched their release and might not even recover while trying to appeal to stupid casuals with their stupid fucking tablet)

However if someone tells me "A console is as powerful as PCs" or "PC Gaming is too expensive" or "30 FPS is more filmic" then I can drop or flatout ignore my pet peeves with this community of PC gamers and agree and say "Yeah...Fuck Ubisoft" I suspect many here do, that's a consensus and a community.

-------

Current Rig

-------

snip

Well, i guess it comes down to the fact that the main consoles compete more and have more overlap with PC than Wii U, where Nintendo's console somewhat sits off to the side, offering a different type of gameplay and a different experience, but i personally don't think its worth the cost when there isn't that much i'm interested in. 

It makes me a little on edge whenever people act like the Wii U is the only console with 1080 or 60FPS (when there is only like 1-3) games vs the other consoles, while poor devs like Ubisoft write bad programs that run at 900.30, other devs like 4A or Naughty Dog, or KojiPro make games at 1080.60. but then resolution and framerate aren't everything either.

Well, i guess it comes down to the fact that the main consoles compete more and have more overlap with PC than Wii U, where Nintendo's console somewhat sits off to the side, offering a different type of gameplay and a different experience, but i personally don't think its worth the cost when there isn't that much i'm interested in. 

It makes me a little on edge whenever people act like the Wii U has more 60FPS games than the other consoles, while poor devs like Ubisoft write bad programs that run at 900.30, other devs like 4A or Naughty Dog, or KojiPro make games at 1080.60. but then resolution and framerate aren't everything either.

The whole frame rate/resolution debate on consoles is dumb. What people really SHOULD bitch about isn't whether are game runs at 60fps or 30fps or if it runs slightly under 1080p. No no the big issue is that developers can't even make stable frame rates happen on consoles with unchanging hardware! A couple dips here and there is one thing but the amount of slow down in these games is ridiculous.

The whole frame rate/resolution debate on consoles is dumb. What people really SHOULD bitch about isn't whether are game runs at 60fps or 30fps or if it runs slightly under 1080p. No no the big issue is that developers can't even make stable frame rates happen on consoles with unchanging hardware! A couple dips here and there is one thing but the amount of slow down in these games is ridiculous.

This is the best opinion, above all these games should strive for best playability, which is a stable framerate, sure 60 is better, but a locked 30 isn't the end of the world, what is bad though is the way Unity performs, as well as plenty of other games like The Evil Within, and the Sleeping dogs remaster.

Someone else on the internet who doesn't like Nintendo's excessive attempts at trying to innovate by creating ridiculous controllers, reliance on sup-par, tacky and unoriginal IP game-wanks and stupid gimmicks?

Today is a good day.