New Dell U2412M has very obvious IPS glow, can you recommend a replacement?

Mysticode
Long story short, bought a new Dell U2412M due to awesome reviews, but I am now seeing after using it pretty heavily for a couple weeks, that the IPS glow is VERY strong.

Does anyone have any comparable replacement suggestions? I really like the higher quality monitors, lack of glossy all the things is a must! (panel, border).

Much thanks!

Is the backlight bleeding? If so, RMA it.

The Dell monitor is a very good IPS display. 

If you want a matte IPS display, you will have to search some, I would look at ASUS. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Wait - you could get monitors replaced if they got backlight bleed? Fuuuuuuuuuu

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Backlight is fine, it's IPS glow, as previously mentioned.

Example: 

Searching Youtube for "U2412M IPS Glow" returns a lot of other examples from users.

I was looking for first hand/second hand experiences with other comparable performance monitors, with lack of less IPS glow.

IPS glow is a downside of IPS panel technology. You can spend over 1500$ and getting a med range professional grade IPS monitor, and you'll have it at the same level.

IPS glow is only visible on full black screen. If you have content, say a 21:9 aspect ratio movie, you should not see it, unless you turn off the light, and set the monitor brightness to the max, which you'll burn your eyes before anything.

Your option is to switch to a TN panel, but then you'll complain about back light bleeding.

MVA panels is an option, but you wont' have the colors of IPS panels.

The real fix is getting a monitor where the LCD grid of the IPS panel has been polarized. They don't do it, as its really costly, and the non-professional consumer such are our-self, aren't willing to pay the premium price for, especially that the problem is only diminished, and not removed, and despite diminished, its still visible.

IPS glow is a downside of IPS panel technology. You can spend over 1500$ and getting a med range professional grade IPS monitor, and you'll have it at the same level.

IPS glow is only visible on full black screen. If you have content, say a 21:9 aspect ratio movie, you should not see it, unless you turn off the light, and set the monitor brightness to the max, which you'll burn your eyes before anything.

Your option is to switch to a TN panel, but then you'll complain about back light bleeding.

The real fix is getting a monitor where the LCD grid of the IPS panel has been polarized. They don't do it, as its really costly, and the non-professional consumer such are our-self, aren't willing to pay the premium price for, especially that the problem is only diminished, and not removed, and despite diminished, its still visible.

Bonjour!

I was just wondering if IPS monitors with less IPS glow than others? My old 20" Dell IPS had a purple glow on black, and not white, and was not very noticable.

(((((BEST ANSWER)))))

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Have you returned the Dell yet?

@Mysticode

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Bonjour!

I was just wondering if IPS monitors with less IPS glow than others? My old 20" Dell IPS had a purple glow on black, and not white, and was not very noticable.

Hello! :)

Purple glow was properly less visible because of it being purple and not white.

Purple glow is a characteristic of S-IPS panel, a sub type of IPS panels. Sad;y they don't really make them anymore (I think it's Samsung that did them. Now Samsung makes their new IPS panels they call PLS). Dell uses AH-IPS on it's current IPS based monitors, which the glow is white.

Sadly, PLS panels are also output a white color glow.

Hello! :)

Purple glow was properly less visible because of it being purple and not white.

Purple glow is a characteristic of S-IPS panel, a sub type of IPS panels. Sad;y they don't really make them anymore (I think it's Samsung that did them. Now Samsung makes their new IPS panels they call PLS). Dell uses AH-IPS on it's current IPS based monitors, which the glow is white.

Sadly, PLS panels are also output a white color glow.

How is the colour and angles on modern TN panels? I often see in reviews some a lot of the newer models are better than the old stuff, but I am not sure which.

How is the colour and angles on modern TN panels? I often see in reviews some a lot of the newer models are better than the old stuff, but I am not sure which.

At work we have some new TN panel, including ASUS 4K 28inch monitor (TN), and everyone agrees, they aren't great or plainly suck compared to IPS panels.

So a good viewing angle and sometimes good color TN panel, is an oxymoron?>

So a good viewing angle and sometimes good color TN panel, is an oxymoron?>

When TN panel was created, it was to offer to the consumer LCD monitor technology for ultra cheap. Everything was sacrificed to make it engineer to be cheap to produce, all by making it usable. And, as back then other LCD monitor technologies where slow, it was to make it as fast as possible for movie playback (LCD where much slower back it's early days, where watching movies was an issue due to the 25ms+ response time)

So yes, TN panel got massively better since it's initial days, and IPS panels got massively worse with the introduction of new sub-panel type to make them not only fast, much faster then what they used to be, but also affordable. If we ignore the budget market, a low end IPS panel stands at the same level as a high-end TN panel at worst in terms of color reproduction, you still have the wide view angles. Anything above that will be better than TN. And the more you pay the better the colors (especially once you jump from 6-bit IPS panels to true 8-bit panels (TN panels are 6-bit panels per channel (red, green, blue)), and less back light bleeding you'll see (not to be confused with IPS glow, that remains).

TN panels are still however faster than IPS. That is how they are able to achieve true 120Hz, or even 144Hz.

Bonjour!

I have heard the U2414H has much lower levels of IPS glow than the average IPS panel, since Dell thoughtfully included an A-TW polarizer which greatly reduces IPS glow.  It's a relatively costly addition, so you don't see it much these days since IPS is growing in popularity and everyone is trying to compete on price.  Unfortunately the 16:10 version (U2415) does not have the polarizer again.  Just the U2414H.

On a black image there was a slight white glow from an angle which can be problematic on some IPS panels. If you are working in darkened room conditions and with dark content on the screen this may prove difficult. As you change your line of sight the white, silvery glow appears across the panel. This wasn't actually too bad at all on this screen, much like we'd seen from the P2414H as well in fact, and in normal lighting conditions didn't seem to be a problem at all. The 'IPS glow' was quite minimal here which was pleasing.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

Oh yes yes, that is true. the U2414H does have a A-TW polarize for it's LCD grid.

It's one of the few rare ones out there, these days. Complete forgot (it's late for me, I need to hit the bed). That is why the monitor cost more for the same specs as other IPS panels, and even then I doubt Dell is making much money on those, as I don't see them on special many times like Dell other monitors, and if it does, it's not by much.