Need Help with Cooling in my Bitfenix Prodigy

DylanD

@DylanD

Yea, I'd say that your build is complete unless you have any more questions, or a deal pops up that changes things.

Here is my version of a $650 all-included media PC for your girlfriend.  The big changes I made were adding an SSD.  Having the OS on an SSD will improve boot and shut down times, as well as overall system responsiveness.  Nothing gives you a new computer, money well spent feeling like an SSD, its just amazing how fast your computer feels on an SSD.  You have the budget for it, so this is a must-have. Case fans can be added easily and at any time, add those if/when you want, get the main stuff now with the money you currently have.

I also switched you to Haswell instead of Devil's Canyon.  Just no reason to spend more money when the performance is the same.  I went with a different PSU also, its $5 more, but its a much, much better PSU.  450W of Gold+ certified power.  Its semi-modular and comes with a 7 year warranty.  Going with Windows 8 instead of Windows 7 is also a smart move, as its $10 less, and supposedly going to give free upgrade to Windows 10, and more features, updates, and supports. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XRmVbv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XRmVbv/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($104.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($45.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($82.79 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z130 5W 2ch Speakers  ($18.02 @ Amazon)
Total: $627.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 21:09 EST-0500

What we're left with is the same computer with a few differences.  If you want, you have a little bit of extra money to add in some fans. I highly recommend these Rosewill Hyperborea 120mm fans.  Very inexpensive, yet excellent performance. Or you could go for a nicer, IPS Panel Monitor.  IPS Panel monitors have the best viewing angles, and spectacular colors.  You can find good ones for $110-$120.

If you ever manage to get your girlfriend into gaming, you can easily add in a ~$100 video card and be able to play any game.  A GTX 750Ti, R9 270, R9 280 would be fantastic, and inexpensive options.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman

Alright awesome, that looks really good.  So you went with the Haswell because mobos are cheaper you mean?  Because currently the 4150 is actually cheaper.  Thats the only reason I went for it over the 4130 but your idea makes sense, With Haswell over Devils Canyon what do I lose?  I really was torn over adding an SSD.  I wanted to really bad but could not think of a way to get it in there.  I really like the way you have it set up.  I have never owned a computer with an SSD, but I have only heard how amazing they are.  I am excited to see the performance boost.  Putting the OS on them pretty much just speeds everything up then?  And I think I have heard that people put their browsers on them as well?  

Ok, I really dont know a lot about PSU, so Im glad you do.  Ill add that in.  As for the OS, she really hates Windows 8, so that is why I went with 7.  Will there not be some option to go from 7 to 10? I will see what I want to do with that extra little bit of money.  Maybe BF prices will knock even more off the prices and I will be able to get her fans and a monitor upgrade. I was thinking the same thing about gaming.  This will make a nice rig to upgrade with a graphics card in the future if she ever wanted to.  

Thanks again!

@Faceman

Alright awesome, that looks really good.  So you went with the Haswell because mobos are cheaper you mean?  Because currently the 4150 is actually cheaper.  Thats the only reason I went for it over the 4130 but your idea makes sense, With Haswell over Devils Canyon what do I lose?  I really was torn over adding an SSD.  I wanted to really bad but could not think of a way to get it in there.  I really like the way you have it set up.  I have never owned a computer with an SSD, but I have only heard how amazing they are.  I am excited to see the performance boost.  Putting the OS on them pretty much just speeds everything up then?  And I think I have heard that people put their browsers on them as well?  

Ok, I really dont know a lot about PSU, so Im glad you do.  Ill add that in.  As for the OS, she really hates Windows 8, so that is why I went with 7.  Will there not be some option to go from 7 to 10? I will see what I want to do with that extra little bit of money.  Maybe BF prices will knock even more off the prices and I will be able to get her fans and a monitor upgrade. I was thinking the same thing about gaming.  This will make a nice rig to upgrade with a graphics card in the future if she ever wanted to.  

Thanks again!

Yes, owning an SSD with the OS on it speeds everything up.  Install your operating system and most frequently used programs, such as Mozilla, Chrome, etc..

Yea, the motherboard for Haswell is less expensive is why I went for it.  Saves you $20 which is 1/3 the price of an SSD.  You aren't loosing anything by going with Haswell over DC for an i3 build.

No, there won't be an option to go from Windows7 to Windows 10, and I have even heard that they are going to stop updating and servicing Windows7 altogether, so its in her best interest to go with Windows8 and learn it.  There are skins available that make it looks like Windows7.  I dont know where to find those skins, but I know they are out there.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman

Alright, cool cool.  I changed it up a bit then.  I think with the little bit of extra cash (like  I will look for a cheaper CPU cooler.  The EVO will put me over, so are there any other lower cost coolers that perform well for the price?  Also I forgot to mention she will be running dual monitors on this PC.  Will this build support it?  Is it the mobo that determines that ability?

@Faceman

Alright, cool cool.  I changed it up a bit then.  I think with the little bit of extra cash (like  I will look for a cheaper CPU cooler.  The EVO will put me over, so are there any other lower cost coolers that perform well for the price?  Also I forgot to mention she will be running dual monitors on this PC.  Will this build support it?  Is it the mobo that determines that ability?

She doesn't need a CPU cooler for an i3.  Its a non-overclockable, 2core-4thread processor, so it doesn't get hot at all.  The stock cooler is more than enough. 

The integrated graphics on the i3 is what will drive the monitors.  I think it is in your best interest to make sure that the motherboard has enough VGA/DVI/HDMI outlets so that you can run multi-monitors. Looking at the motherboard, there is one of each, HDMI, DVI, and VGA, so as long as she has the appropriate plugs she should be able to run two monitors.

@Faceman

Alright cool, ya she is going to use the monitor I get and then another VGA monitor that they have laying around, so that should work out well then.  And from what I have read, it sounds like the integrated graphics can handily run two monitors?  So I dont need a CPU cooler then should I look for like a 10-20 dollar monitor upgrade (or will that be even harder on the integrated graphics)?  Or should I look for something else?

@Faceman

Alright cool, ya she is going to use the monitor I get and then another VGA monitor that they have laying around, so that should work out well then.  And from what I have read, it sounds like the integrated graphics can handily run two monitors?  So I dont need a CPU cooler then should I look for like a 10-20 dollar monitor upgrade (or will that be even harder on the integrated graphics)?  Or should I look for something else?

The integrated graphics is plenty strong for two monitors. 1920x1080p, two 1080p monitors will be just fine.  Definitely spend that extra money on a nicer monitor, or case fans.  CPU Cooler is not necessary at all.  The only real benefit from getting a CPU Cooler would be lower temperatures, which is not even an issue on the stock cooler, and lower noise, which again, wont be that bad because the fan curve on the stock cooler won't be aggressive.

This is a really good 1920x1080, 23", IPS Panel Monitor for $130.  Asus 239H-P

@Faceman 

Alright sounds good man, maybe Ill throw in one case fan and a better monitor if I can make it work with some deals :)

@Faceman 

Alright sounds good man, maybe Ill throw in one case fan and a better monitor if I can make it work with some deals :)

Check out this monitor!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/257186-us-newegg-9999-usd-lg-22mp55hq-p-22-ips/

Really good one for only $100

@Faceman

Wow, Im tempted to just pick that up right now and not even wait.  Hmm...

@Faceman

Wow, Im tempted to just pick that up right now and not even wait.  Hmm...

I can't imagine the price getting any better than it already is.  Thats a really good IPS panel monitor going for super cheap.

@Faceman

Is that the lowest that IPS monitors will go for probably?  Or is there a possibility that I could wait and get her a slightly less quality IPS monitor for like 80ish?  Because she wants me to spend the least amount that I can, but I also dont want to miss out on a feature like IPS after hearing what an improvement it is

@Faceman

Is that the lowest that IPS monitors will go for probably?  Or is there a possibility that I could wait and get her a slightly less quality IPS monitor for like 80ish?  Because she wants me to spend the least amount that I can, but I also dont want to miss out on a feature like IPS after hearing what an improvement it is

I don't know.  I think $100 for that monitor is a steal.  The lowest an IPS panel would go for on Friday is maybe $80?  I dunno though.  I would go for that one for $100 though, its guaranteed to be amazing, and if you want to order a bunch of stuff, Newegg has a 5% off your entire order promotion going on right now.

If she doesn't want IPS, and honestly its not something you need, especially for work related tasks, you could probably find a 20" monitor for around $50-$60 come friday.  I'm just guessing.

@Faceman

Ya that really does seem like a steal.  If I werent as tight for money as I am now then I would definitely pick up a couple of those.  But I think that I will probably just look for one for like 70-80 or maybe even lower if I can find one this weekend.  Neither of us need something that is really spectacular at the moment.

@Faceman

Ya that really does seem like a steal.  If I werent as tight for money as I am now then I would definitely pick up a couple of those.  But I think that I will probably just look for one for like 70-80 or maybe even lower if I can find one this weekend.  Neither of us need something that is really spectacular at the moment.

You could also try Craigslist.  At least in my area, there are a lot of nice 19-20 inch computer monitors for sale that are inexpensive.  Especially for just basic needs, no sense to spend so much on a monitor.

@Faceman

Ya I was thinking about looking for different parts used, but the thought of it just scares me.  Maybe not so much for a monitor though.

@Faceman

Made up a build with a Blue/White color scheme in a bigger case, and it took like $80 off the price of my other build.  So I can keep an eye on two sets of parts this way.  If my other build doesn't drop much I have this color scheme to go for.  I dont want to spend that much more just to keep it black and white and I will live with the bigger case for $40 less. Any major flaws in this one?

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($81.64 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.14 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($328.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.43 @ SuperBiiz) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($12.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 43.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($7.67 @ Mwave) 
Total: $1122.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 19:32 EST-0500

Thanks for all the help so far man.  I hope Im not annoying you with so many questions.  You have been an amazing help

@DylanD

That looks really good.  Here are some changes I would make though.

You have an mATX motherboard selected, while it will work in a mid-tower case, it might look kinda funny and you won't have as many fan headers.  I selected an ATX motherboard, and its actually $10 less expensive.  Alternatively, neither of those motherboards have the option for SLI in the future.  I'm not sure if that is something you want, so if you don't ever want to go multi-GPU, then forget I mentioned it and go with the motherboard I selected down below.  Otherwise, get an SLI capable motherboard that fits your color scheme.

I bumped you up to 2133/9CL RAM.  It is only $5 more, but you never know when that one program or game will run better off high speed RAM comes along.  I also think it looks better, but that is subjective.  You can't go wrong with the 1866Mhz RAM you selected.

I went for a different SSD.  The SP600 from Adata is only $50!  While it doesn't have as good of stats as the MX100, those stats are fairly meaningless unless you transfer large blocks of data often.  I know I don't.  I have the *crappy* Kingston V300, but my computer is blazing fast.  Boot and shutdown times are 8-10 seconds, and overall system responsiveness is just as fast as my friend's Samsung 840 EVO with the same processor.  Yes, his EVO wrecks my V300 in benchmarks, but in real-world performance, they perform the same.  Its only $10, but that $10 might be better spent elsewhere in your build like getting a more feature-rich motherboard, modular PSU, different case, case fans, etc..

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VQzKGX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VQzKGX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($328.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.03 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.43 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 43.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($7.67 @ Mwave)
Total: $1108.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 20:48 EST-0500

@Faceman

Alright thats awesome.  I like your build much more, and its cheaper!  I like the look of that RAM much more too, but would it be able to fit with the EVO cause I have heard things about heat spreading RAM being too tall to fit under the CPU cooler?  As for that little extra bit that I save what would you recommend.  I am honestly hoping that I dont have to upgrade this PC for quite a while and I never plan on going SLI.  A 970 should be fine for me and my needs dont you think? Would you recommend that I put a little more money into something like a modular PSU or can I hide it well enough in a case like this to not need the capabilities it provides?

@Faceman

Alright thats awesome.  I like your build much more, and its cheaper!  I like the look of that RAM much more too, but would it be able to fit with the EVO cause I have heard things about heat spreading RAM being too tall to fit under the CPU cooler?  As for that little extra bit that I save what would you recommend.  I am honestly hoping that I dont have to upgrade this PC for quite a while and I never plan on going SLI.  A 970 should be fine for me and my needs dont you think? Would you recommend that I put a little more money into something like a modular PSU or can I hide it well enough in a case like this to not need the capabilities it provides?

Yea, you won't have to upgrade this PC for a LONG time.  And if you do want to upgrade, the most likely upgrade will be a new GPU, but thats not for 3+ years.

Some RAM does have a rough time fitting with the EVO, but I don't think this RAM will.  It might be best to just air on the side of caution and get the 1866Mhz RAM.  It is less expensive, its still damn good, and you are not going to have any issues with the 212 EVO at all.  Use that extra $5 towards a 2nd fan for the 212 EVO.  I highly recommend Cooler Master Blade Master 120's for a 2nd 212 EVO fan.  Having a 2nd fan will lower temperatures, and make it more quiet.  You can run the fans at a lower speed(less noise) giving you the same cooling performance as one fan at a higher speed(more noise).

A 2nd fan for the 212 EVO, and a modular PSU will be the best use of the extra money.  Other things to consider are maybe some high end thermal paste, a nicer case now that you've decided to go mid-ATX.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PTV3dC

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PTV3dC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.98 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.92 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($328.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.03 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.43 @ SuperBiiz)

Case Fan: Cooler Master Blade Master 76.8 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($9.62 @ Amazon)

Total: $1105.40

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-26 00:17 EST-0500

I couldn't find any reasonably priced modular PSUs that are better than the XFX I have selected.  You could go with a Corsair CX500M($35) or Corsair CX600M($45), but they are not as good as the XFX in terms of inside components used. They aren't bad PSUs, they just use a bad fan so it is less likely to last the full 3 years it is under warranty for.  I personally used a CX600M, and its now in a friends rig, it was a good PSU, I have no complaints about it.  I would personally take higher quality fan and inside components over modularity at this point.  Hopefully some deals will emerge in the next few days on a better modular PSU. 

One thing I wouldn't wait on is that RAM.  That RAM is super cheap right now, order it today. I added in the 2nd fan, but I want to run one more option by you...  Don't buy any extra fans right now.  Don't buy extra case fans, don't buy an extra 212 EVO fan.  Use that money towards a nicer case.  A case is an investment, its a part that can be used over and over again in all of your future builds.  The Thermaltake A31 is a fine case, but it isn't a modern case.  It lacks some features that newer cases might have, as well as future upgradability.  If you don't buy the extra fans, and get the other RAM, you save about $20 which can be used on a better case.

I'll break it down into two brackets.  The $100 price range, and the $70-$80 price range.

The best case for around $100 is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. Its just puts other cases to shame with what it offers for a mere $100.  This thing is huge though, and I'm not sure if you want to be carrying it back and forth.  The advantages are so numerous though.  The features, build quality, airflow, future expandability, etc..  This is a case that can be used over, and over, and over again no matter what kind of build you do.  It is overkill for what you currently need though.

The Corsair Air 540 is another excellent case.  Its a very unique design, and also has tons of room for future expandability. A very nice case for $100 that usually sells for $120+  It is rebate dependent though.  Another Corsair case is the Corsair 450D.  Another very popular and good ATX case. The wildly popular NZXT H440 has a fantastic look to it, but it has a bad problem with airflow, and doesn't have any 5.25" bays for a CD/DVD drive, not that its really necessary these days, but maybe you do need it.  It comes in a variety of different colors, and is usually $100. Last in the $100 price range is the Fractal Design Define R4.  Supposedly a silence optimized case, it probably is more quiet than others, but with silence, comes poor airflow. Its a very nice case, and can often be found for $70-$80, but currently listed at $100.  If you value silence over temperatures, this is a good case.

Something that is similarly priced to what you currently have, and might actually be one of the better options for you because of its size and portability is the Cooler Master HAF XB.  It's only $70, so you would be able to still add in extra fans. Corsair 300R is another option coming in at $70, a more modern case with lots of good features.  It's a very popular case that you can water cool in with ease later if you want.  If you happen to live near a Fry's, definitely buy the Corsair 330R from them in-store.  That is a very high-end case for cheap because of their in-store price.  I think its like $30 in-store, something insane like that.  One case thats fresh on the scene is the NZXT S340.  Again, only $70.  Very modern, mid to high end case with good features and expandability.

@Faceman

Oh wow thanks for all the info. So I will keep an eye out for a modular PSU and hopefully I'll pick up that RAM when I get home today. As for the cases I'll look more into all of those. I do like the air 540 I just wish it was a little cheaper. If I'm going to go with the color theme inside then I would like to have a window so I think that one would work well. I'll look at the others too. If I could I would like to stay in that 70-80 dollar range. That would keep my total price around 1100 right now which sounds pretty good.

@Faceman 

Well I got so excited about that RAM that I messed up.  The Mobo that I chose for my girlfriends rig is an H85 and doesn't support the 1866mhz RAM.  It should still work though right?  It will just down clock the RAM to 1600mhz?

@Faceman 

Well I got so excited about that RAM that I messed up.  The Mobo that I chose for my girlfriends rig is an H85 and doesn't support the 1866mhz RAM.  It should still work though right?  It will just down clock the RAM to 1600mhz?

Ya, it will still work no problem, will just show up as 1600Mhz.  If you got it for cheap, then no worries.  Just a week or two ago, the least expensive RAM was like $70-$80.  So now that RAM is like $50-$60, even for performance stuff, is a great deal.

@Faceman

Alright cool, that's incredible that it has gone down that much so quickly. Let's just hope it doesn't drop anymore now :) with the 25 I have left in the budget what do you think I should look for?

@Faceman

Alright cool, that's incredible that it has gone down that much so quickly. Let's just hope it doesn't drop anymore now :) with the 25 I have left in the budget what do you think I should look for?

Save the money.  Maybe something will turn up.  Or go for the better case like I suggested.