[Confirmed] AMD wins race to 5GHz CPU clock speed

AMD has refreshed its lineup of eight-core FX chips in what sounds like some straightforward overclocking of last year's products. The FX-9590 claims a clock speed of 5GHz in turbo mode, making it the "world's first commercially available 5GHz CPU processor," while the FX-9370 lags slightly behind at 4.7GHz, as compared to the 4.2GHz top speed of the current FX-8350.

Los Angeles - E3 - June 11, 2013 - AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled its most powerful member of the legendary AMD FX family of CPUs, the world's first commercially available 5 GHz CPU processor, the AMD FX-9590. These 8-core CPUs deliver new levels of gaming and multimedia performance for desktop enthusiasts. AMD FX-9000 Series CPUs will be available initially in PCs through system integrators.

At E3 this week, AMD demonstrated why it is at the core of gaming," said Bernd Lienhard, corporate vice president and general manager, Client Products Division at AMD. "The new FX 5 GHz processor is an emphatic performance statement to the most demanding gamers seeking ultra-high resolution experiences including AMD Eyefinity technology. This is another proud innovation for AMD in delivering the world's first commercially available 5 GHz processor."

The new AMD FX CPUs will be available from system integrators globally beginning this summer. Two models will be available:

· FX-9590: Eight "Piledriver" cores, 5 GHz Max Turbo

· FX-9370: Eight "Piledriver" cores, 4.7 GHz Max Turbo

Looks like rumors is true

Fx-9590 - 5Ghz

Fx-9370 - 4.7Ghz

Support for DDR3-2400 (DDR3-2133 with two memory modules per channel)

The high cycle is accompanied by a rich TDP of 220 watts.

According to Anandtech,considering the pricing and performance offered by Intel’s Haswell i7-4770K at $350, most likely the FX-9590 will be close to the $200 mark.

Additionally, these processors feature AMD Turbo Core 3.0 technology to dynamically optimize performance across CPU cores and enable maximum computing for the most intensive workloads. 

Source : http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/amd-5gz-fx-chips/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

Not being a fanboy but Intel has already won the race to performance, 5GHz is cool though, but personally i would rather have better/faster architecture than sheer JIGAHERTZ

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Pretty cool... if you don't overclock by yourself. I wonder if these cpu's will overclock even higher with air cooling.

I wonder if it will comes with AIO liquid cooler.

TDP?

Around the 150ish W guessed..

So it's a Overclocked 8350?

It seems to be an improved version of the 8350 which then got overlocked

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

when do you guys think this will come out? also will it be accompanied by the 1090fx chipset?

It has a 200W TDP though...holy mother of god.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

when do you guys think this will come out? also will it be accompanied by the 1090fx chipset?

This summer

thanks for the post bro

price? :)

TDP?

220W....... yeah 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Not being a fanboy but Intel has already won the race to performance, 5GHz is cool though, but personally i would rather have better/faster architecture than sheer JIGAHERTZ

Exactly, we'll have to see how well they perform though. Even if they're bad, at least we'll likely see a price drop on Intel products.

thanks for the post bro

price? :)

Do not know yet.They did not reveal it on press release.

So it uses more power than my 660?

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

Summer is considerably closer than the previously guesstimated fall. Because summer is now. Awaiting performance results and reports on further overclocking.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yes it is compatible with AM3+ and any Am3+ Chipset such as 970/980/990Fx etc.

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Will we see games that take use of 6 cores? If yes, then AMD is heading the right way. 

Will we see games that take use of 6 cores? If yes, then AMD is heading the right way. 

I hope so? otherwise it would be shit to sell 8 or even more Core Processors :O

I hope so? otherwise it would be shit to sell 8 or even more Core Processors :o

Well at least they are still making 4 and 6 core processors. APUs are promising too... at least for light gamers and games that dont use so much cpu power.

Wouls't really call it a 'win'. 5GHz stock clock clock is silly and it's obvious they aren't making any real progress with CPU development in this department.

Bring on ARM....

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

PSU vendors must be rejoicing LOL. No doubt these chips will be fast for any kind of workload. I'm guessing there will be almost zero overclocking headroom?

It seems to be an improved version of the 8350 which then got overlocked

What are the other improvements apart from clockspeed?

220W TDP? 

What on earth is AMD doing? are they just desperately seeking attention??? 

I think they just gave up on IPC performance, so they're just clocking their chips as high as they can to compete with intel.