Nvidia Shield Gets Android 5.0 Lollipop, Valve Bundle And GRID Game Streaming

Rekx

On 11 November Nvidia teased a blurred image of something which looked like a nvidia shield controller that was used togehter with a Nvidia Shield Tablet. Today they revealed what all the mystery was about. Nvidia Shield Tablet and Portable are both getting the new Android Lolipop 5.0 update.Though Portable users will have to wait a month or two(no official date yet). 

Grid Gaming Service:

You should also check out the new GRID Gaming Service, available exclusively to SHIELD owners for free through June 30, 2015. GRID is an on-demand, premium cloud gaming service that lets you stream PC games with amazing GeForce GTX-quality graphics to your SHIELD device, without needing a PC. It’s like Netflix for games. Simply select GRID Games inside SHIELD HUB and click on a game and you’ll instantly be playing top PC titles like Batman: Arkham City and Borderlands 2 from anywhere in North America.

Before you play your first game, an automatic network test will determine if you have sufficient bandwidth and low enough latency to stream games on GRID. We intend to build GRID into a premium cloud gaming service, and the best global service, and will expand into Western Europe soon. Plus, we’ll add new games each week so that there is always something fresh to play. We’d love to hear your feedback to help make this game-changing service even better.

Lolipop 5.0 Material Design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4actew0zEv4#t=73

Core to the Android Lollipop update is Material Design Language (MDL), a new, better way to convey information with improved design, better visuals, and faster workflows. SHIELD tablet's Android Lollipop update brings this new design philosophy to menus and built-in apps, improving your experience when gaming, watching video, working, or streaming to Twitch. Please note, SHIELD Hub will be updated with MDL in the near future – for a first glimpse check out the video above.

For gamers, the most exciting addition in the Lollipop upgrade is the Android Extension Pack (AEP), which powered the jaw-dropping Unreal Engine 4 SHIELD Rivalry demo, showed off at Google I/O this year. AEP enables developers to create PC-quality experiences on compatible devices, such as SHIELD tablet, the world's first 100% AEP-ready tablet. With full support for PC-class features like tessellation, deferred rendering, screen-space reflections, and screen-space ambient occlusion, to name but a few examples, mobile game developers can finally create experiences on par with those found on other gaming platforms.

Will The Shield Portable Get Android 5.0?

One more thing: If you're running a SHIELD portable, don't despair: an Android 5.0 Lollipop update for the original SHIELD device is in the works. Stay tuned to GeForce.com for details.

Greenbox And Moar Games!

If you don't yet have one of the best tablets available, and one of the first to feature Lollipop, you can snap up a SHIELD tablet straight from our website. Note, if you select the 32GB LTE SHIELD tablet, which enables you to access content from anywhere in the world, you'll receive Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, and Portal for free. Bundled together as the wittily titled Green Box Bundle , Valve's incredible games run natively on SHIELD tablet with PC-grade graphics and effects, and play brilliantly on the SHIELD Controller and on your TV in Console Mode.

green-box-bundle.png

Opinion:

Lol xD and i that thought Greenbox was a htpc from Nvidia. I was waaaay off. Even though the htpc thing didn't happend these other opgrades looks pretty neat. Especially if you haven't already bought one. Plus i love that Nvidia are fast with the android updates. I actually wish Samsung would bring updates as fast as Nvidia and Motorola. 

Sources: 

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/android-lollipop-5-update-now-in-shield-tablet

http://shield.nvidia.com/shield-valve-green-box-bundle

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I might have to get one of these now. 

Seriously, I have to wait a month longer?

GG, at least you aren't HTC or Samsung. HTC are going to take three months (not that bad, LG rolled their update out the other day), and Samsung? Who the fuck knows, they'll probably be releasing 5.0 as 5.2.2 comes out.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Seriously, I have to wait a month longer?

GG, at least you aren't HTC or Samsung. HTC are going to take three months (not that bad, LG rolled their update out the other day), and Samsung? Who the fuck knows, they'll probably be releasing 5.0 as 5.2.2 comes out.

Not sure. This is what nvidia said

One more thing: If you're running a SHIELD portable, don't despair: an Android 5.0 Lollipop update for the original SHIELD device is in the works. Stay tuned to GeForce.com for details.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

OMG NVIDIA IS GOING TO RUIN LOLLIPOP FOR EVERY ANDROID USER WITH THIS

/s

OMG NVIDIA IS GOING TO RUIN LOLLIPOP FOR EVERY ANDROID USER WITH THIS

Why?

Why?

Sorry, I should have put an /s at the end.

Sorry, I should have put an /s at the end.

LOL xD. The /s helped ;-)

I did say that I thought Greenbox would be some kind of software. Well it looks more likely that I'll be getting a Shield Tablet then. 

I did say that I thought Greenbox would be some kind of software. Well it looks more likely that I'll be getting a Shield Tablet then. 

Yeah im also close to buying one. If it wasn't for my mobo being broken i would get one. 

Yeah im also close to buying one. If it wasn't for my mobo being broken i would get one. 

I have it, its awesome, didnt even use the game streaming feature yet, still awesome.

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

I have it, its awesome, didnt even use the game streaming feature yet, still awesome.

I would properly use the console mode or game streaming most. The only problem is the missing Grid service in europe and the small screen.

Same. Especially with the nice price :3

Yeah the price of the Nexus 9 was disappointing for a lot of people. 

Very very appealing offer for the holiday season

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Very very appealing offer for the holiday season

hhmm i guess that's properly what they going for. Didn't even think of that :P