Frostbite team shows off Battlefield 4 tech demo running on an iPad

post-39338-0-64965800-1415292449.jpg

The team at Frostbite, published a blog post showing off a tech demo of the graphically demanding Battlefield 4 console game running on an iPad.

Battlefield 4 tech demo was made possible thanks to some big graphics improvements courtesy of Apple’s new Metal graphics API.

The team says “Metal has created possibilities previously out of reach and for the first time we can include both high visual fidelity and a large number of objects.”

It’s just a tech demo for now, so don’t get your hopes up for a Battlefield 4 release on iPad just yet. But it does an excellent job of showing just what is possible thanks to Metal,  Apple’s new graphics technology in iOS 8 that allows developers to improve graphics performance by offering “the lowest-overhead access to the GPU.”

Frostbite’s Kristoffer Benjaminsson notes that the team plans to share more details of its progress with Frostbite and the new Metal tech in future blog posts.

post-39338-0-82920200-1415292440.jpg

Source: http://www.frostbite.com/2014/11/frostbite-tech-demo-battlefield-4-on-ios/

Source 2: http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/06/frostbite-battlefield-4-ios-tech-demo-metal/

Kitguru article: http://www.kitguru.n...running-on-ios/

first source link is dead

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

I this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

Seriously, iPads are better than 7th gen consoles now lol.

So can you actually play the demo?? or is it like a benchmark?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

To be honest, I'd rather get a 300$ asus t100a, which can actually play the full version of bad company 2 and runs bf3 even if not at a high framerate, not to mention it comes with a keyboard so it's actually playable... a.k.a. I'm not impressed one bit considering the price of the thing. Oh, and I'm curious on how they intend to sort out the insufficient ram problem...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's cool.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I don't know whether I believe this or not.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It won't run nearly as well as a pc for the price of the ipad

It won't run nearly as well as a pc for the price of the ipad

Thank you captain obvious. It's a tablet. It will be better for browsing the web than a cheap laptop. It will have far better battery life, a far better screen, far lighter, etc. In addition to being able to play the game. If you just want to game get something better for it than either, but it's awesome that a tablet can accomplish this. Obviously the laptop will be better for gaming, but way worse at many other things. This is impressive for such a light and thin tablet 

No matter how powerful tablets/phones get, touchscreen gaming will always suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

No matter how powerful tablets/phones get, touchscreen gaming will always suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Nvidia shield.

Actually I just picked one up at work just so that I can tell if it is as awesome as it seems, next step will be trying to connect a keyboard and mouse.

Its a technical demo. It's just for showing the true capability of the iPad. However I think they should've released a video

Well if they add a gamepad piece or keyboard/mouse it won't be much different than a laptop (in terms of tablets)....

They ought to fix the fucking game before moving it to another more limited platform....morons.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They ought to fix the fucking game before moving it to another more limited platform....morons.

They aren't morons. They're practically printing money. If you don't like the game don't buy it.

First they did it with Mantle, now they did it with Metal. It's probably one of the best things EA did in the last decade : to make FROSTBITE focus only on R&D.

If it wasn't for FROSTBITE and Johan Andersson we wouldn't have Mantle and DX12 wouldn't have been rushed and wouldn't have brought Mantle features into it.

It's good to see who is pushing the gaming industry forward.

This is beyond old unless the one i saw ages ago was bf3 running on ipad cant remember.

Well, if they can get it running on a 8 year old console, they can probably get it running on an ipad.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Holy nuts, that's cool.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It doesn't seem like it's actually playable. It's most likely just one of those "automatically fly around over some scenery which is rendered in real time". It's not the full game either so if it was playable I doubt it would be fun (might for example lack AI) nor do we know the frame rate (might not even be 30 FPS).

It might be cool, but the info we got is just not enough to make me excited. We might have caught up with the Xbox 360 and PS 3 in terms of GPU performance in mobile devices so it's not too hard to imagine that with lots of work we could get something pretty good running on ARM tablets.

It doesn't seem like it's actually playable. It's most likely just one of those "automatically fly around over some scenery which is rendered in real time". It's not the full game either so if it was playable I doubt it would be fun (might for example lack AI) nor do we know the frame rate (might not even be 30 FPS).

It might be cool, but the info we got is just not enough to make me excited. We might have caught up with the Xbox 360 and PS 3 in terms of GPU performance in mobile devices so it's not too hard to imagine that with lots of work we could get something pretty good running on ARM tablets.

I would like to see it running on a Nexus 9.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

"Highly detailed and dynamic environments are key pillars to any Frostbite game – and mobile is no difference. Whatever you can do on console should be doable on mobile as well!"

I love that line :)

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)