The Hashtag Epidemic

Geekazoid

#swagyolo420noscopefazeclangabeislove1337h4x0rs

#HateGabeNMemesAndReferencesToHim. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I don't particularly care when things that once were for one thing become used for another thing as time goes by, things change, things evolve, it's inevitable.

As far as I know, the current purpose of the whole hashtag concept is to categorize, you can search a hashtag and it'll contain all relevant posts and things like that, that people are using it in everyday conversation though, or hash tagging absolutely everything is absolutely ridiculous.

Like when you see those .tumblr posts where they hashtag entire blocks of text, that is counter productive and completely misses the point.

Every time in math, "Why are you using the hashtag sign?" What the-are you serious right now? Always happens at the beginning of the year...

Now that is just plain sad.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I don't particularly care when things that once were for one thing become used for another thing as time goes by, things change, things evolve, it's inevitable.

As far as I know, the current purpose of the whole hashtag concept is to categorize, you can search a hashtag and it'll contain all relevant posts and things like that, that people are using it in everyday conversation though, or hash tagging absolutely everything is absolutely ridiculous.

Like when you see those .tumblr posts where they hashtag entire blocks of text, that is counter productive and completely misses the point.

I think some people hashtag for the sake of hash-tagging with no real meaning

behind it, just because it's the "cool" thing to do and they want to fit in. ;)

Whenever I see one, I'm like "Stuff you and your hashtags".

Yeah, they can be freaking annoying can't they? Read my post above yours. I think you'll agree with it.

Well, grouping content for searching purposes has bee around for a while and hashtags made it easier for people to search for tailored content. The reason for the symbol that got used is the same as reasons for other things such as PHP (<?php ?>) and ASP (<% %>) and that is that it wasn't already in use so it's easier on database systems etc.

Something for my site that I'm working on will have various tags that will be used for searching, although no "hashtag" functionality will be implemented 

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

# is the pound symbol. Hashtag is a word made up by the same detriments who made 'selfie' and 'twerk'

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Although sometimes irritating Hashtags are a pretty effective way to categorise content that further can be looked up with the particular phrase but then again you will get those that use them incorrectly and create a mess.

I only use # when I'm commenting stuff in Python, and no I don't know how to code yet. I intend to learn programing when I have some time.

Lame comment removeD

to me it will always be the pound sign

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros