2011 -> 2011-3 Upgrade for Crazy Edit Machine

draculr

I'm planning on upgrading from an IB-E 2011 machine to a H-E 2011-e machine. I mainly wish to upgrade to get a much more modern chipset for things such as 8x SATA 3 ports (it is truly 8x native SATA3 right??)

My plan is to take the following existing components:

- 4xHDDs

- 4xSSDs

- Geforce 780 Ti

- H105 cooler (I also have a H100i if the 105 does not fit)

- Corsair 860i PSU

and add the following:

- Intel 5960x (I need as many cores as I can get my hands on)

- 16gb Corsair Dominator DDR4 (I'll have to stick with 16 for now, it's still crazy expensive - it should be fine for now)

- One of the Asus X99 boards (probably the Pro)

- NZXT H440

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if all those items would work well with the H440 and my existing PSU (especially the large number of drives)? I am looking for a case that can keep those components fairly quiet. I don't think I'll be chasing any overclocking on this build as I just want something rock solid.

Cheers!

psu should be good,

case will be alright. but i reccomend something like the 450d instead.

budget ?? location ???

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

PSU should be good, and I think you should have enough space for your multiple drives(there are 8 drive bays iirc 6x3.5inch and 2x2.5inch). But I would personally go for a bigger case.

PSU should be good, and I think you should have enough space for your multiple drives(there are 8 drive bays iirc 6x3.5inch and 2x2.5inch). But I would personally go for a bigger case.

I can't seem to find any bigger cases that I like. The H440 looks nice and has a lot of built in dampening.

Looks good to me, what parts would you be replacing? Maybe there's enough to make a decent backup rig/ spare pc for when the main one is busy or if it has a big problem and you need work done asap.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Looks good to me, what parts would you be replacing? Maybe there's enough to make a decent backup rig/ spare pc for when the main one is busy or if it has a big problem and you need work done asap.

I hadn't thought about keeping my current parts. I've got a 4930k and rampage iv extreme. But I might stick to selling them for the extra funds!

One other question: Would a 280mm cpu cooler such as the h110 or the kraken x61 fit inside this case along with a standard ATX x99 motherboard?

I can't seem to find any bigger cases that I like. The H440 looks nice and has a lot of built in dampening.

Well, it's just a personal preference for the sake of being able to upgrade more in the future, but you should be fine. I prefer the 450D or the R4(if you do not need a window on the side panel).

I hadn't thought about keeping my current parts. I've got a 4930k and rampage iv extreme. But I might stick to selling them for the extra funds!

One other question: Would a 280mm cpu cooler such as the h110 or the kraken x61 fit inside this case along with a standard ATX x99 motherboard?

Selling them is an option, the problem is that with the 5820k being so relatively cheap you're going to have a hard time selling a used 6-core cpu. You'd need to price it very low, less than half what you paid for it, and that's not a lot of value compared to the possibility of straight up using it. At least imo.

According to the official specs, yes, an h110 should fit in the h440 no problem (you won't be able to install a third fan on the top though).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Selling them is an option, the problem is that with the 5820k being so relatively cheap you're going to have a hard time selling a used 6-core cpu. You'd need to price it very low, less than half what you paid for it, and that's not a lot of value compared to the possibility of straight up using it. At least imo.

According to the official specs, yes, an h110 should fit in the h440 no problem (you won't be able to install a third fan on the top though).

Yea, it's definitely something I'll think about. Unfortunately for pure grunt none of my programs (such as Premiere Pro or After Effects) offer any proper render farm options. Hence me always trying to get as many cores as possible without going for a Xeon system!

If your current psu can run that ib-e then it should have no problems running a hs-e.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list