is it just me or is the 5K iMac and Mac mini not good enough?

asim1999

I actually went and looked at one to see what all the fuss was about with the screen and honestly it looks amazing. If you look around the webs you'll actually find reviews on how it performs. Obviously its not going to be able to game but I dont really see people gaming on mac's anyway. It's cool to see that companies are trying to push the envelope with technology as we've only just been able to get into 4k. Don't forget that Dell has already had a demo 5k display that was running 2 Quadro cards.

mudgee - Jedi System Builder

The imac isn't overpriced aswell. Same goes for the mac minis. People seem to forget that the imac comes with haswell i7, decent gpu, built-in camera, built-in microphone and speakers, a 5k display, mouse and keyboard and of course the great aesthetics and OSX. Whereas you'd be buying this all seperately when buying a new setup with a PC. Try to find a decent 4k display already, I'm guessing it's ATLEAST a 500 dollars, right? i didn't look into this, but I'd imagine so, since decent 1440p displays were around 400

The imac isn't overpriced aswell. Same goes for the mac minis. People seem to forget that the imac comes with haswell i7, decent gpu, built-in camera, built-in microphone and speakers, a 5k display, mouse and keyboard and of course the great aesthetics and OSX. Whereas you'd be buying this all seperately when buying a new setup with a PC. Try to find a decent 4k display already, I'm guessing it's ATLEAST a 500 dollars, right? i didn't look into this, but I'd imagine so, since decent 1440p displays were around 400

sure the display is good, but there is no upgrade path, and the GPUs are sub-par ( laptop graphics with a 5K display is a joke). and the i7 imacs cost a fortune, why not build a hackintosh with X99 for the same price?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

sure the display is good, but there is no upgrade path, and the GPUs are sub-par ( laptop graphics with a 5K display is a joke). and the i7 imacs cost a fortune, why not build a hackintosh with X99 for the same price?

because you still have to buy EVERYTHING besides the actual hardware such as CPU,...

Macs don't need an upgrade path since there are ALWAYS people that will buy imacs for a really reasonable amount. For example, I sold my macbook after 3 years for 1100 after I bought it for 1500. Therefore you still get upgraded hardware without losing much money at all

If you're going to buy an x99 with all the peripherals, speakers, microphone, 5k monitor, camera, you'll end up paying MUCH more than with an imac anyways so the x99 platform is out of question

Apple has always been a promoter for new technology. Mainstreaming 5K displays will just mean that FHD screens will become cheaper and 4K displays more predominant.

Personally I despise the rush for screen size, but it's way cheaper for OEM's to invest in larger screens then provide more decent panels that few people actually care about.

Jesus OP, first the thread about what we hate about console gamers and now this? You really are on a roll today. 

5K is overkill for EVERYONE who isn't a creative type. My DSLR files actually have MORE pixels than what a 5K display can cough up. Do I care? Nope. I want it. Why? More real estate is always handy when it comes to editing. 

Video editors who will eventually buy the 5K panels (once TB 1.3 rolls out) will love this. Being able to edit pixel by pixel on a 4K timeline while still having real estate on a single panel for all your editing tools? 

What the hell do you want Apple to do? Shove 2 980ms in SLI just so you can game on them? Macs can game, they are not ever really made for gaming. You are the kind of person who puts gaming above all else when looking at any person. Do you skip out on cars just because they don't have enough FPS or what? 

Apple is selling a 5K equipped desktop for a price that gets you JUST THE SCREEN from Dell. Thats insane value. Either Dell is overcharging for 5K, or Apple is seriously taking the hit in margins to roll this out, on a very colour accurate panel to boot. 

I just don't get it. 

Jesus OP, first the thread about what we hate about console gamers and now this? You really are on a roll today. 

5K is overkill for EVERYONE who isn't a creative type. My DSLR files actually have MORE pixels than what a 5K display can cough up. Do I care? Nope. I want it. Why? More real estate is always handy when it comes to editing. 

Video editors who will eventually buy the 5K panels (once TB 1.3 rolls out) will love this. Being able to edit pixel by pixel on a 4K timeline while still having real estate on a single panel for all your editing tools? 

What the hell do you want Apple to do? Shove 2 980ms in SLI just so you can game on them? Macs can game, they are not ever really made for gaming. You are the kind of person who puts gaming above all else when looking at any person. Do you skip out on cars just because they don't have enough FPS or what? 

Apple is selling a 5K equipped desktop for a price that gets you JUST THE SCREEN from Dell. Thats insane value. Either Dell is overcharging for 5K, or Apple is seriously taking the hit in margins to roll this out, on a very colour accurate panel to boot. 

I just don't get it. 

dude, its about the computer inside, i love the screen, i would ppay extra for a better computer to go along with the display.

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

I actually think the 5k is a bargain for 2.5k. and its the first time i said that to an apple product

My iMac G5 had a 1050p resolution and was square as can be. This thing man, makes me want to go back to Apple PC's sometimes. Sadly, the only Macs worth my time IMO are the laptops. I'd rather build my own sort of desktop rather than have an iMac or Mac Pro.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Technically there is an upgrade path as @Wano1997 pretty much stated the residual value of a Mac after the average use of 3.5 years is far more than a Windows machine of the same price bracket.

Say in March of 2015 I buy an iMac 5k for almost $4,646 then 3 years later in March of 2017 I decide to upgrade again I should expect to see about $3,450 which would cover most of the cost to buy a new iMac 5k. 

Say I build a PC for about the same price as the iMac 5k in March of 2015 and 3 years later (March, 2017) I decide to sell the unit as a whole I would see far less of a return than I would on a Mac. For me any gaming I want to do can be done on either a console or the AMD build I'm planning on building around August of next year, everything else I do the iMac could handle everything I needed however when I do build this AMD system it will be my primary system until I can afford the extra cost of the 5k iMac.  I mean would better graphics in an iMac 5k be nice? Sure, but it's not really that big of a deal. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The purpose of the 5k  screen is for professionals who use it for photography/videography, stop thinking that every computer has to be built for the same purpose.

im waiting for them to make the new line of macbooks (hopefully) with even higher res displays, lower heat (even though theyre very good on heat already), and still keep a longer battery life. im not in any rush for it tho :P

but, theres nothing wrong with the new imacs, obviously if you look at it as a gamer its going to be dumb. we have established that several (thousand) times on this forum.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I have seen more than a few reviews that show that for anything more than the most casual use, the graphics card is definitly not sufficient. One reviewer starts having issues with too many chrome tabs and has way to frequent whole system crashes.

Have you not just listened to everyone?

The GPU is FINE, nobody buys a iMac for gaming. Secondly it's not even overpriced at all, as people have just pointed out. Also with a hackintosh, you arnt getting that premium feel and 'real' apple

Feeling that people are willing to spend more for anyway.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Premium feel: how about a Lian-Li aluminium case or the new limited edition InWin aluminium case?

Premium feel: how about a Lian-Li aluminium case or the new limited edition InWin aluminium case?

"I'm building a hackintosh to save money...lemme

Just spend £320 on a case"

Why don't you just admit that the new iMacs

Are actually pretty good and that you started this thread because you hate apple?

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

no i dont hate apple, i love the iMac, just that i think that hardware could be improved ( nothing is perfect). stop taking my opinion like it is the most offensive thing ever. i thought people were allowed to have opinions around here, and i appreciate the constructive criticism btw

The hardware is absolutely fine for what it needs to do. I have had friends who have asked me why I would ever find my laptop acceptable since I like to game. Turns out I use my laptop for far more than that and you don't exactly need SLI 780ms to run Logic Pro. The vast, vast majority of Mac users do not game or if they do, they tend to be lighter on the system requirements (the hugely intensive AAA games rarely make it onto the operating system). And of course, gaming is almost always a secondary consideration for most people who buy PCs. Even so, the mobile GPU in the iMac is more than serviceable. I was in the Apple Store yesterday getting myself a sleeve for my laptop since the old one is pretty, ya know, old at this point. I made a point to check out the new iMac and it seemed absolutely responsive and wonderful to use. They also have Mac Minis tied to TB/ACDs there and those Iris chips do just fine coping with normal use at those resolutions. Hell, this 6770m with its single measly 1GB of VRAM can and does pump out CSGO and TF2 at 2560x1440. I feel like in general the gaming community vastly exaggerates the kind of hardware you need to enjoy gaming on a computer. Sure nobody is going to be maxing out Metro Last Light at 5k on an iMac but it's not like because it can't do that it can't play games at all should the desire arise or that it's an awful computer because of that fact (not that you were claiming that they were OP). I just personally don't really see anything wrong with Apple's specifications in general for their hardware. If price-performance is a main concern for a consumer then a Mac wouldn't be even considered for that consumer. The end experience of using any of their current devices is absolutely fantastic though and obviously, if you want OS X it's not your only option but it's certainly the best one. 

Easy to use, "SFF" ( not really??), does what its suppose to do , & IPS display.

Draw backs - OVERPRICED, underpowered specs , only 1 year manufacture warranty ( can extend with extra cash <-- pet peeve ) .

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45