Want to make a few bucks for developing an app?

LinusTech

oh well, you just ping the Default gateway and send a file to the router. But the problems is how do i create a file and send it to the ROUTER, the router can not hold something for me and then send it back.. thats too much network stuff :/

anyone on AC want to give it a try?

On my Galaxy S4, I tested it on my ASUS RT-68U through my Gigabit connection with the following results:

2.4GHz Avg. Download: 51.33 Mb/s

2.4GHz Avg. Upload: 55.79 Mb/s

5GHz Avg. Download: 60.29 Mb/s

5GHz Avg. Upload: 56.89 Mb/s

Good suggestion and very easy to configure, but getting results that just aren't that helpful. Running the .exe on my windows 7 computer (the one that transfers at 100MB/s anywhere else in the house) and on my Shield Tablet I'm hitting the max of my Internet connection consistently (100Mbit) with speedtest, and this app is giving me 33Mbit without any option to configure for more concurrent connections or anything like that...

Then again downloading a video file to the device locally results in around 30Mbit speeds, so is it speedtest.net that's blowing smoke up my butt? Am I missing something critical here? Is it possible to have a network connection that reports a 300Mbit link speed (obviously if we get half of that in the real world we should be happy), sustains 100Mbit over the internet, but can handle only 30Mbit when transferring locally from either my home server or my desktop?

I see a few people suggesting setting up our own speedtest.net server. Will have to look into it, but it looks like it's intended to run on something that's already set up as a web server, so we'd be building a specific machine for this. Feels like an awful lot of work for something that just shouldn't be that complicated.

Hi,

I am the developer of WiFi Speed Test app. I found interesting this thread, and hopefully I can help you. First of all, my app does nothing special thing, opens a socket then read/write (depending on the test type upload or download) on this socket as any other software does. So if you got 30 Mbit/sec then this is 30 Mbit/sec. Because neither my app nor the server do not use any storage (sd card, hdd) it cannot be a bottleneck.

Here are my notices:

Theroetically, if the link speed of your tablet is 300 Mbit/sec, the server is connected to the router via gigabit ethernet, the speed should be around 150-180 Mbit/sec. (you can get only the half of the link speed).

If the server also connected via wireless and has 300 Mbit/sec link speed, the max speed wlll be ~70-80 Mbit/sec (wifi has shared bandwidth, the tablet will upload at 70 Mbit/sec and the computer will download at 70 Mbit/sec). If the link speed of the server is only 150 Mbit/sec via wireless, the max speed will be ~35 Mbit/sec.

Here is a youtube video about the first case, someone used HTC M1 at 433 Mbit link speed with a server connected via gigabit ethernet to the router and the test measured ~230 Mbit/sec.

So the first question is about the connection of the server: is it wireless or wired and the link speed?

Then you can try to configure higher amount of data to use (in WST app, Settings/Network Settings/Transfer settings/Message block size, you can tune up to 16K, the default is 4K).

And you can configure the socket buffer size of the server:

wifi_speed_test_server -h (getting help)

-e SOCKET_RCV_BUF

-s SOCKET_SND_BUF

Basically if the server runs on Linux it performs better, it can be slower on Windows due to unknown reason.

I have been wanting something like this for SO long! I would pay good money for something like this that works well.

275mb a second my friend can barly even hit 1 mb 

Cpu: i7 4790k Mobo: Asus z97-A  PSU:Ultra Semi-Modular 850w SSD: Kingston 240gb HDD: Segate 1tb Ram: 2x8gb G.Skill ram GPU: Zotaz GTX 980 AMP! Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed 

I put together a server app in java running a websocket server and a client in html+javascript running a websocket client. The client sends a known amount of bytes to the server and measures the time it takes. The server responds to any request with the same data and the current timestamp.

Requirements

The server ran fine for me on my windows machine and macbook air, it does require java8 however.

The client will run on any modern webbrowser which supports javascript and websockets. My Galaxy s2 ran it find so should work on pretty much anything.

Running

To run it simply start the server app on one machine and the client on another, type in the server ip and press connect.

Run the latency test to get rid of most of the time difference between the server and the client.

Then run the transfer with message size in the input field. 

Notes

The host of the client html file does not matter to the transfer rates, it's purely running in your browser.

Both the client and the server look hideous.

There are most likely several bugs.

I found a message size of 10000000(~10MByte) to give good results.

Message sizes of roughly 40000000(~40MByte) or more crashes my chrome tab :(

Running the server on my desktop(1Gbit link speed) and client on my macbook (300Mbit wifi link speed) I got around 65Mbit/s upload and 165Mbit/s download.

Links:

Server: https://mega.co.nz/#!0E90QRxA!DTOR8ctnJrxMtOT7bMvJaNdpe5gyBTTfo1o-s6hWrHA

client: https://mega.co.nz/#!kUlFHSYL!Jy4wsBvY-9JmcF-rL5i_aW7F1p8TaZJiYcU5tTNrbrE

I might actually do this.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hi,

I am the developer of WiFi Speed Test app. I found interesting this thread, and hopefully I can help you. First of all, my app does nothing special thing, opens a socket then read/write (depending on the test type upload or download) on this socket as any other software does. So if you got 30 Mbit/sec then this is 30 Mbit/sec. Because neither my app nor the server do not use any storage (sd card, hdd) it cannot be a bottleneck.

Here are my notices:

Theroetically, if the link speed of your tablet is 300 Mbit/sec, the server is connected to the router via gigabit ethernet, the speed should be around 150-180 Mbit/sec. (you can get only the half of the link speed).

If the server also connected via wireless and has 300 Mbit/sec link speed, the max speed wlll be ~70-80 Mbit/sec (wifi has shared bandwidth, the tablet will upload at 70 Mbit/sec and the computer will download at 70 Mbit/sec). If the link speed of the server is only 150 Mbit/sec via wireless, the max speed will be ~35 Mbit/sec.

Here is a youtube video about the first case, someone used HTC M1 at 433 Mbit link speed with a server connected via gigabit ethernet to the router and the test measured ~230 Mbit/sec.

So the first question is about the connection of the server: is it wireless or wired and the link speed?

Then you can try to configure higher amount of data to use (in WST app, Settings/Network Settings/Transfer settings/Message block size, you can tune up to 16K, the default is 4K).

And you can configure the socket buffer size of the server:

wifi_speed_test_server -h (getting help)

-e SOCKET_RCV_BUF

-s SOCKET_SND_BUF

Basically if the server runs on Linux it performs better, it can be slower on Windows due to unknown reason.

will send you an email. Thanks for reaching out!