OverClocking 5960x on Asus x99 Deluxe

So the bulk of my work is video editing and effects using Sony Vegas Pro 13 and various plugins. Using the AI Suite I it felt comfortable OC to 4.1 with a 1.31V. No need to go any hire, I just wanted the CPU to be in the 4's. The thing is I want to keep 4.1 OC going all the time. How can I turn off ramping down of my clock so its always sitting at 4.1. Is it a simple tab that im not selecting? If so, im not seeing or understanding it. I still consider myself being a nub to all this but I think im on the verge of having all of this click for me. Or does it really not matter and the moment I start working on a project does it ramp up?

Also using 16gb of Crucial DDR4-2133 memory, Intel 530 SSD 240gb and amd 7970 3b, Corsair HX1000i power supply and H100i.   

The moment you try to do anything that needs any real power your voltage and clock speed will instantly ramp up to whatever you set it to. I didn't bother turning this feature off.

Are you really only getting 4.1 GHz at 1.31V though?

The moment you try to do anything that needs any real power your voltage and clock speed will instantly ramp up to whatever you set it to. I didn't bother turning this feature off.

Are you really only getting 4.1 GHz at 1.31V though?

that is the ai suite, not manual overclocking.

that is the ai suite, not manual overclocking.

I'd heard good things about AI Suite though. That just seems bad.

Ok thanks. So I was watching one of LInus Vids and he was suggesting that once overclocks are done, switch my voltage to adaptive. Sounds good? I do think 1.31v is a bit high for 4.1ghz, after doing so much research it turned out the suite does get a little out of hand with the voltage. Would you guys suggest ramping the voltage down a little? Still curious though, if I wanted to, how would I turn on or off the feature so I could have a constant clock speed of 4.1. Ive been researching it for 2 days. I at least want to come away knowing that.

As other mentioned. Your CPU will automatically turn itself down when it isn't doing anything intensive. But as soon as you are, it will go up to the overclock that you have set. General use doesn't put any kind of heavy strain on the CPU, so having it at the overclocked speed all of the time wouldn't do much.

Ok thanks. So I was watching one of LInus Vids and he was suggesting that once overclocks are done, switch my voltage to adaptive. Sounds good? I do think 1.31v is a bit high for 4.1ghz, after doing so much research it turned out the suite does get a little out of hand with the voltage. Would you guys suggest ramping the voltage down a little? Still curious though, if I wanted to, how would I turn on or off the feature so I could have a constant clock speed of 4.1. Ive been researching it for 2 days. I at least want to come away knowing that.

Personally I would consider, assuming your load temperatures are fine, raising the clock to as high as you can get it at that voltage stable. It's a safe voltage. I wouldn't go any higher, and with adaptive voltage it won't be running at that 24/7 anyway.

As other mentioned. Your CPU will automatically turn itself down when it isn't doing anything intensive. But as soon as you are, it will go up to the overclock that you have set. General use doesn't put any kind of heavy strain on the CPU, so having it at the overclocked speed all of the time wouldn't do much.

This is true. It barely even affects the temperatures, and does anyone really care that much about power consumption if they've bought into X99? I use it because it's there more than because it makes sense.

I would do everything manually and completely forgo using AI Suite 3 for anything other than fan control. I'm at 1.29v 4.375GHz core 3.65 cache (125BCLK 3000MHz RAM).

1.31v is insane for 4.1GHz, which is why I never recommend auto-OC settings from any manufacturers "OC" software...it throws too much voltage for no reason other than guaranteeing stability, which isn't much of a guarantee when you're risking your CPU.

You should be able to get 4.1 stability ~1.25-1.27v, maybe even lower, I forgot where my voltage checkpoint was @4.1 -_-

If you want constant clock at 4.1 disable Intel Speed Stepping.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Thanks!!! Silly question, if I where to disable intel speed stepping, would that make the adaptive power voltage useless?

Thanks!!! Silly question, if I where to disable intel speed stepping, would that make the adaptive power voltage useless?

I would assume so, however I've never used adaptive voltage with, or without, Intel Speed Stepping. Can't say for sure.

Be VERY careful if you have adaptive on. If AI Suite 3 already put you at 1.31v for 4.1 do not try notching up the multipliers with adaptive on. Also, never run benchmarks with adaptive on, regardless of your multiplier. Adaptive is meant to be the very last setting you switch over once you have found a stable OC @ the lowest voltage possible.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |