Either i'm extremely stupid, or...

This Thursday when i was coming back from my Japanese lessons, i was talking with a friend. 

After a few minutes our conversation drifted into GPU section. Around 6-8 months he upgraded his PC with I7 4770k and GTX 770.

I mentioned to him about 970 and how it's currently my favorite card (since it's price:performance ratio, something that i think is extremely important, is currently the best. Let's see what AMD will offer), and how that because of it's "new" Maxwell architecture it has low TDP and can be OC'ed nicely.

He said something that really... well... surprised me... He goes to a private IT school (programming and stuff), and i thought he should be knowledgeable about computers...

Well, he said that only GTX Ti cards can be OC'ed... I said to him that every card can be OC'ed, and that it depends on your luck of the draw, GPU cooler, PSU... He said it can't... 

After that he said that Nvidia releases a Ti version of their EVERY card after around a year and that they're called THE SAME (And that his 770 is actually 770Ti that can be OC'ed)...

Now, someone please enlighten me... Either i'm as stupid as a snail, or he got his facts horribly wrong...

Either way, one thing that it thought me is that to take everything he says with more than a grain of salt...

YOu are correct. That guys statement insult the intelligence of a pile of bricks

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

He's wrong...

He's wrong.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I see, i was 99,9% sure i was right...

And what surprised me the most that he, who goes to a school that specializes in IT technologies (i know it's mostly software, but still), and i,who go to a school specialized in Law...

Okay, gonna try talking with him again on Monday...

I find people like that a lot. decent programmers that know absolutely nothing about hardware. Many of them are so adamant that they are right too.

I know... And he's one of the better programmers in his class...

And he tried to convince me that he's right...

It happens a lot.  People think they know everything yet they tend to look stupid to anyone who is somewhat knowledgeable about the subjects.  I've had this happen before where I go and check on a computer for my sister as a favor (she works at a school and couldn't get the IT people to come until the next week since it was a weekend).  I go and look at the computer which it has an amber light when trying to turn it on.  My initial assessment was that most likely it's the PSU and there was nothing I could do about it so I took another computer in the back and moved it there so she would have something to use with the projector  I also had to remove a gfx card because the projector didn't have use DVI and the onboard wouldn't work if I had the gfx card installed.  The next week the tech comes in and sees the gfx card and asks "what's that" which shows there he didn't know anything.   My sister explained that I switched the computer out for her since she needed it now.  He asks what I do which she tells him I work as a technician elsewhere.  He then goes to look at the computer and starts boasting that the issue is easy to fix and I should've known how to fix it.  He claims he can fix it within minutes.  An hour later he has to call a technician from Dell to come look at it.  Turns out it was a PSU failure. 

I see, i was 99,9% sure i was right...

And what surprised me the most that he, who goes to a school that specializes in IT technologies (i know it's mostly software, but still), and i,who go to a school specialized in Law...

Okay, gonna try talking with him again on Monday...

To be fair, I don't think they teach this stuff much in school. My understanding is that IT education generally focuses on corporate computing, where most of the jobs are. He probably knows a lot about managing an office network.

That said, I know he's never seen official reference to a "GTX 770 Ti" before, since it doesn't and never will exist. So that alone begs some hard questions about where he came up with that.

I think that "Ti" stands for "Titanium" and that means that the GPU is better and stuff. But every GPU can be OC'ed, even my old crappy HD 5450.

On the note that it goes a ~year before Ti models come out. Yeah, no.

Both the GTX 750 and the Ti came out on the same day.

And the main difference is normally that the Ti version is better binned, allowing Nvidia to produce a slightly better card than the original.

GTX 750 and the Ti as an example again. Vanilla comes with 512 Cuda cores, where as the Ti comes with 640.

Ti Stands for Titanium, just like cuda cores are short for barracuda, and the "n" in nVIDIA stands for nano.

your friend is a compulsive liar/bull****ter, or a giant idiot.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

To be fair, I don't think they teach this stuff much in school. My understanding is that IT education generally focuses on corporate computing, where most of the jobs are. He probably knows a lot about managing an office network.

That said, I know he's never seen official reference to a "GTX 770 Ti" before, since it doesn't and never will exist. So that alone begs some hard questions about where he came up with that.

You're right about that. I saw his classes schedule, and he had a lot of classes related to IT managment in big corporations, or stuff like that...

Truthfully i also don't know about it... I heard about 770Ti, but it's only available in OEM pre-built machines, it's not available in retail...

He basically said that Nvidia releases normal GPU's, and then after around a year, they release a Ti version of the said GPU's, and that they KEEP the old names (let's say they released 770 in autumn 2013, and they a year later they released 770Ti that's called 770... He lost me there...)...

And when i asked him that if the "first lineup" that he's speaking of is unable to OC, they how the heck then did people OC their G1 Sniper's and Strix'es... 

His words were something like "That OC'able first lineup is for people who don't know anything and it sucks (first lineup)..."...

After that i just switched the subject of our conversation...

On the note that it goes a ~year before Ti models come out. Yeah, no.

Both the GTX 750 and the Ti came out on the same day.

And the main difference is normally that the Ti version is better binned, allowing Nvidia to produce a slightly better card than the original.

GTX 750 and the Ti as an example again. Vanilla comes with 512 Cuda cores, where as the Ti comes with 640.

I know about that. 780 has less CUDA cores than 780Ti... But it seems he doesn't know that...

Ti Stands for Titanium, just like cuda cores are short for barracuda, and the "n" in nVIDIA stands for nano.

your friend is a compulsive liar/bull****ter, or a giant idiot.

He's probably a little of both...

People like him need "read-only" permissions on the internet... 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.