[Build Log] Hive Desk Build - custom scratch build of a ROG x99 EK water cooled computer desk

Rakior

You are a true artist my man! Your a skilled trades person? or just extremely well acquainted with carpentry?

Thank you :) No I'm not a skilled trades person but i know in what end i should hold the hammer... ;)

Desk builds are always the best because you can go so overboard and not have to worry about size. Love it. Subbed.

Thank you :) Size is thou a huge issue in this build when the desk is 67mm thick externally (mostly 61mm thou) and 64-47mm internally. (I wish someone was selling a 170mm SLI bridge cable that would have made my life easier but now I built around that issue). Most of the wiring done in the 3 mm space between the 2 bottom metal plates. I must admit I don’t have a huge experience in custom builds my first build and the build before this one was Hive Fire and that was in a most generous Corsair 800D.

Lets do it LEEROY JENKINS! my reaction, totally unreal

Nooooooo Whelps please..... ;)

Hive Fire - Build of the Month March 2014.

Simple 760t Mod - erly ideas for Corsair 760t Mod

This build is just the right mix of butch and sexy, I am definitely looking forward to the completed model!!!!!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Incredible.

I7-4790K OC @ 4.7, Asus Maximus VII Hero, 16gb 2133hz Corsair Vengence, 780 GTX SC (2), 250gb Samsung 840 SSD (2), Phanteks Luxe Pro Chassis, EVGA Supernova P2 1200W,MCP655-PWM pump with Bitspower fittings and upgrade kit, 360, 240 EK Radiators, all other watercooling is EK products

If I may ask, where do you work? Or did you just save money for this beast?

If I may ask, where do you work? Or did you just save money for this beast?

Well I was lucky to Asus and EK waterblocks sponsor this build with a large portion of the hardware in this build. I have a average paying job so had I not been sponsored I would sold my last build, saved a bit and probably waited a little longer for DDR4 prizes to normalise. This is the setup I hoped to build so I'm very happy Asus and EK believed in me and helped me realise my dream build.

/Hugs Rakior

Well I was lucky to Asus and EK waterblocks sponsor this build with a large portion of the hardware in this build. I have a average paying job so had I not been sponsored I would sold my last build, saved a bit and probably waited a little longer for DDR4 prizes to normalise. This is the setup I hoped to build so I'm very happy Asus and EK believed in me and helped me realise my dream build.

/Hugs Rakior

See this right here is why I get annoyed when people turn their noses up at sponsored builds.  Sponsorship can play such a vital role for talented modders as frankly most of us aren't loaded nor have the ability to start up new builds on a whim.  It helps to remove the hardware cost barrier, allowing people to focus on the other parts of the build instead, just like you've done here.

I just want to straight up say that this is my favourite PC desk design I've seen to date.  I'm sick to death of the thick, bathtub style desk where there's more space than the builders know what to do with.  This is sleek, sexy and oozes quality.  I love imposing limits for this exact reason, it forces people to become creative in order to surpass the obstacles.  Instant follow.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

See this right here is why I get annoyed when people turn their noses up at sponsored builds.  Sponsorship can play such a vital role for talented modders as frankly most of us aren't loaded nor have the ability to start up new builds on a whim.  It helps to remove the hardware cost barrier, allowing people to focus on the other parts of the build instead, just like you've done here.

I just want to straight up say that this is my favourite PC desk design I've seen to date.  I'm sick to death of the thick, bathtub style desk where there's more space than the builders know what to do with.  This is sleek, sexy and oozes quality.  I love imposing limits for this exact reason, it forces people to become creative in order to surpass the obstacles.  Instant follow.

agreed

and how does one go about being sponsored? I have no idea how you guys manage it...

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

agreed

and how does one go about being sponsored? I have no idea how you guys manage it...

well to start im speaking out of experience as I am a reviewer and have recieved samples from a few big names like sennheiser, func, and fractal design. 

To start you need to get a media contact (someone like fractal josh or asus jj)

You need to contact them with your plan of action (build plans or your channel/website)

If they think it is something the company is interested in or it benefits the company they send you some stuff.

you need to have something good though. They dont sponsor/send items to just everyone you need to either have a very nice build that they think it really amazing and want to be associated with it or have a quality youtube channel or website.

well to start im speaking out of experience as I am a reviewer and have recieved samples from a few big names like sennheiser, func, and fractal design. 

To start you need to get a media contact (someone like fractal josh or asus jj)

You need to contact them with your plan of action (build plans or your channel/website)

If they think it is something the company is interested in or it benefits the company they send you some stuff.

you need to have something good though. They dont sponsor/send items to just everyone you need to either have a very nice build that they think it really amazing and want to be associated with it or have a quality youtube channel or website.

I'm working on a completely custom case. So hopefully once I have that built I can start sourcing parts. I've got some first pass renders, but it needs some SERIOUS work.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

/Hugs Rakior

Well, I'd belive you too! #BestDesk2014

Thank you all so much :)

I'm working on a completely custom case. So hopefully once I have that built I can start sourcing parts. I've got some first pass renders, but it needs some SERIOUS work.

I'm looking forward to see the build log :)

My only tip is take your time, planning a build is Huge portion of the fun :)

/hugs

This is coming along incredibly well. I can barely tell where the render ends and the actual desk begins..!

Cheers, Sam

Thank You All ”Competition”

I’m going away on a short trip 2 weeks (my sister getting married). I will check the forum and try to answer as soon as I can. When I get back home the motherboard water block will have arrived, so it’s time to start the finishing touches on the build. It is also time to finish the edit on part 2 in the Video log.

-So what’s the “competition”?

I want to give back something to some of you great people out there, I don’t have any huge prizes but it’s at least a small thank you.  What I would like is some good questions.

1: To find out what you want to know about the build (so I can make a better video log and answer some questions in image/video format)

2: To have some good reading while on holiday.

The prizes:

UbhRJNy.jpg

1: A kit to cut and bend acrylic tubing with inner diameter of 10 and 12mm.

2: I have 2 spare: EK-FC780 GTX Ti Backplate - Black (please check if it fits your GFX card/cooling block)

3: I will make a custom paracord sleeved 24 pin extension cable (possible more depending on what materials I have left), I have many colours so you can chose pattern and colour.

4: A ROG logo like you can see in the build (crafted by me)

So all you need to do is ask any question about the build you want an answer to and if you want anything of the above just end the question with that number.

I will answer the questions if I can during my holiday, if not ill do it as soon as I’m home. I’ll pick some winners soon after that and contact them (shipping/crafting may take some time, I live in Sweden, so please have some patience I don’t know how long time this will take)

/Many Hugs and Thanks Rakior

What did you make the renders with? And how come I am not as awesome as you :lol:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Did you do any training for metalwork/woodwork? Everything that you produce just looks so professional. :D

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

You somewhat already answered this but, what do you do for a living? You're obviously very skilled with your hands and many other trade skills.

Aside from Ferrari what did you get your inspiration from? Do you have any past projects to showcase?

Lastly, what does your workshop look like? What tools does it contain? Any favorites?

Have a safe trip.