Engineers made a battery-free radio the size of an ant

ETRJ

This is the promise of the near future: all of your gadgets — from your smartphone to your fridge — will be able to talk to each other, wirelessly communicating whether you're around or not. We're almost there, but a new device from Stanford and University of California, Berkeley, professors may speed things along. Engineers from the schools have designed a radio the size of an ant.

NO EXTERNAL POWER REQUIRED

The tiny chips, which are powered by harvesting radio signals and don't require external power, are small enough to fit on gadgets in your home, but still powerful enough to send and receive transmissions. The hope, according to the creators, is for device-makers to start using the chips in gadgets for the Internet of Things. Add one of the chips to a lightbulb, and make your stuff a little a smarter — able to communicate with you and all the electronics around you.

There are, of course, already wireless devices that do that. This invention hopes to differentiate itself by being cheap — it only costs a few cents to produce — and by being small enough to go anywhere. Will that work? Check back in the near future.

YouTube video:

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/14/6145213/tiny-battery-free-radio

Mod note: Please do not copy-paste the article into your post, include some original thoughts.  Read the pinned thread in the News section entitled "Read before posting in this section". —Mod Glenwing

will be able to talk to each other, wirelessly communicating whether you're around or not.

I'm not sure, whether or not I want them to. Maybe I'm just getting old...

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

WHAT IS THIS, A RADIO FOR ANTS?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Cool, But I cant say I see an application.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

"...the size of an ant."

Herein lies the problem, my friends.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

How does this differ from normal RFID chips? They also receive their power in the same manner and they have been around for quite a long time.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

problem would be signal strength I believe. pretty much useless if it has to be as close as nfc to work

Well, not exactly. I believe that it can receive a signal like any other device but it can't transmit that far which is not a problem if you use it as a wireless controller on all sort of things. It has great potential in smart home sector.

I don't see the point in this.  Normally I am quite good at dreaming up uses for devices but this one has me stumped.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

How does this differ from normal RFID chips? They also receive their power in the same manner and they have been around for quite a long time.

The coil required on most RFID chips:

Figure_01.jpg

This new technology though may be used in say a smart watch, or maybe in a medical field (pacemaker). At first glance, it doesn't seem like much, but there are actually quite a lot of useful ways to use a radio that small.

Although as others have pointed out, the transmit power levels may be really weak. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Sweet article!

EDIT: Wan show viewers incoming!

Maybe they dont have to send that far? Maybe there is some kind of hub which connects to them and receives the signals 

Some people really lack imagination.

really?  why?

EDIT: if you are referring to people not being able to think of a use for it maybe you should list some uses that existing technology can't already accomplish.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The only difference appears to be the size. This effectively is just RFID... just very small, so presumably it operates at a much higher frequency than regular RFID.

Cool, and for those of you that think this is useless, maybe we dont need THIS thing but the thing is that they can develop this thing much further