Orbweaver 2012 vs Orbweaver 2014 vs Normal Mechanical KB

Go to solution Solved by 404,

Holy balls you have a lot of mechanical KBs. Any personal favorite you could recommend? I like Cherry Greens a lot but I know that almost no KBs actually come with them. So I'm inclined to say I'm looking for Blues because those are a close second. 

Ducky and CM have some good MX Green boards. Also check out the WASD code. They also do a MX Green model.

So I'm posting with a question for the community. This is my first post here, I apologize if I've put this in the wrong sub forum. 

I'm looking for opinions from some other mechanical keyboard users. Specifically anyone who has used a Razer Blackwidow 2014 and a different brand board with Cherry MX switches. 

I've been looking into getting a mechanical keyboard for myself after just finishing my new gaming rig. My dilemma is currently I primarily use a Razer Nostromo in place of a conventional keyboard and I was debating on getting the Razer Orbweaver instead of a standard mechanical keyboard so I just upgrade my keypad for a better one. But they've just revamped the Orbweaver with the special Razer gaming switches which they've been using in the Blackwidow 2014. I'm wondering some opinions because I can't decide if the new switches are worth it, or if I should should pick up the, currently on clearance, 2012 model of the Orbweaver which still had Cherry MX Blue switches. [The only differences between them are the switches and the 2014 model has a braided cable.] 

Or, should I just get a conventional mechanical keyboard for around the same price and just keep using my Nostromo for now. 

AMDemolition: CPU: AMD FX-8350 w/ Antec KUHLER H20 920, Motherboard:  Gigabyte 990FX UD3-R5, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 Mhz., GPU: MSI R9 290 4GB w/ Corsair HG-A1 w/ Corsair H80i Cooler, Case: NZXT H440Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD BlackPSU: Corsair AX760i, Display: Samsung 29" WFHD 2560x1080

ASUS G74SX ROG Laptop: CPU: Intel Core i7 2630MRAM: 2x 4GB 1333 Mhz., 2x 2GB 1333 Mhz., GPU: NVIDIA 560M 2GBStorage:  500GB Samsung 750 EVO, 500GB WD BlackDisplay: 17.3" 1600x900

I would get a proper mechanical keyboard first because it helps with all scenarios from typing to gaming. A gaming pad would only really work for gaming and they are pretty damn expensive comparatively.

I would get a proper mechanical keyboard first because it helps with all scenarios from typing to gaming. A gaming pad would only really work for gaming and they are pretty damn expensive comparatively.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, I love my Nostromo. But it was only $40 on sale when I bought it. Which I was willing to part with. In comparison the Orbweaver is $100 for the 2012 and $130 for the 2014 [i'm sure I can get it on sale from Amazon or something.] whereas a proper board is only about $20 more depending on brand.

I mean, I hardly use a keyboard except for web browsing. I just use a regular Dell one for now. But the cost comparison is just so close. So the Orbweaver doesn't quite seem as worth it as the Nostromo was. 

AMDemolition: CPU: AMD FX-8350 w/ Antec KUHLER H20 920, Motherboard:  Gigabyte 990FX UD3-R5, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 Mhz., GPU: MSI R9 290 4GB w/ Corsair HG-A1 w/ Corsair H80i Cooler, Case: NZXT H440Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD BlackPSU: Corsair AX760i, Display: Samsung 29" WFHD 2560x1080

ASUS G74SX ROG Laptop: CPU: Intel Core i7 2630MRAM: 2x 4GB 1333 Mhz., 2x 2GB 1333 Mhz., GPU: NVIDIA 560M 2GBStorage:  500GB Samsung 750 EVO, 500GB WD BlackDisplay: 17.3" 1600x900

I didn't know there are two different orbweavers, but I vote for a keyboard. I rarely use my Nostromo but it's mostly because I have no desk space or USB ports left :P

I only found out today when I looked at their site and saw the Orbweaver listed in clearance as "Orbweaver 2012" and when I looked at the main listing they had it listed as having Razer switches instead of Cherrys and a braided cable which, I've been looking at mechanical boards for about a week to two weeks now and not once have I seen it with a braided cable before this. 

I'd definitely get a keyboard but if you want the Orbweaver, I'd get the one with Cherry switches and not Razer switches.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

My Orbweaver is nice and all. BUT GET A MECHANICAL KEYBOARD.

My Orbweaver is nice and all. BUT GET A MECHANICAL KEYBOARD.

Holy balls you have a lot of mechanical KBs. Any personal favorite you could recommend? I like Cherry Greens a lot but I know that almost no KBs actually come with them. So I'm inclined to say I'm looking for Blues because those are a close second. 

I'd definitely get a keyboard but if you want the Orbweaver, I'd get the one with Cherry switches and not Razer switches.

I do want the Orbweaver. But I just feel the cost is so close to a full KB why not go for it. At the same time I feel like the other half of the KB will just be wasted space on my desk. Blah. I'll probably go with a KB for now. Eventually I will get one of these. Even is it's just a cheap referb off Woot or something. I just feel like it's time to upgrade the Nostromo to go with the new rig. 

Thank you to everyone for the input. I think I'm going to go with a fullsize [or maybe a ten-keyless for space saving] for the time being. I just need to pick one out now...

Ducky and CM have some good MX Green boards. Also check out the WASD code. They also do a MX Green model.

I do want the Orbweaver. But I just feel the cost is so close to a full KB why not go for it. At the same time I feel like the other half of the KB will just be wasted space on my desk. Blah. I'll probably go with a KB for now. Eventually I will get one of these. Even is it's just a cheap referb off Woot or something. I just feel like it's time to upgrade the Nostromo to go with the new rig. 

Thank you to everyone for the input. I think I'm going to go with a fullsize [or maybe a ten-keyless for space saving] for the time being. I just need to pick one out now...

you haven't mentioned, but did you notice the Tartarus? It's the membrane and smaller/lesser version of the orbweaver

The orbweaver is a justified cost imo. I don't think people realize how much more expensive it is to build and orbweaver rather than just build a keyboard

I love mine - best part is I can now pick a keyboard switch purely for typing and not try to find the best mix of the two

so to answer the question - the orbweaver does 100% feel like a complete upgrade to the nostromo. just up to you if you care enough to upgrade that or the keyboard first

• 2 weeks later...

you haven't mentioned, but did you notice the Tartarus? It's the membrane and smaller/lesser version of the orbweaver

The orbweaver is a justified cost imo. I don't think people realize how much more expensive it is to build and orbweaver rather than just build a keyboard

I love mine - best part is I can now pick a keyboard switch purely for typing and not try to find the best mix of the two

so to answer the question - the orbweaver does 100% feel like a complete upgrade to the nostromo. just up to you if you care enough to upgrade that or the keyboard first

I have noticed the Tartarus. I chose to exclude it from my purchasing decision because it pretty much is the Nostromo but with a different thumb pad. I've used one before and I just couldn't see it as much of an upgrade at all. My main focus is upgrading to something mechanical because having used some of my friends mechanical keyboards, I really wanted one. I primarily game on my PC, I have a laptop for work, and the other things I do on my PC don't require much typing. [Photo editing, drawing, etc.] So I really can't justify ~$100 on something with typing being the only focus in mind. 

Thanks for the input. I have ended up going with a Max Keyboard Blackbird. I felt like I could make do with my Nostromo for now. It's really not showing any signs of stopping it's performance and I can use a keyboard for both gaming and typing. The Orbweaver is next on my peripheral list though.

It just seemed crazy right now for me to spend $130 on the Orbweaver, when I was able to get:

All for less than the cost of an Orbweaver not including shipping. [Orbweaver cost $129.99 from Razer.] My total for my purchase was $128.99 with shipping. [Labor Day sale. Included all extra keycaps, Max Keyboard cable tie, keycap puller for free and 20% off any keyboard they sell.]