What to do with old enterprise server?

SheriffHD

So, I got given a Dell Power Edge 1850 and it has windows server 2003 installed. 

The only thing ive used it for at the moment is to push alot of air around the apartment as this thing is like a jumbo jet taking off.

so, if any one has an idea what the hell I can actually do with this let me know.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

Sell it on craigslist...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it a server

Install Linux and run VMs or make it a epic Minecraft server 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Sell it on craigslist...?

Sell or repurpose might be the right thing to do 

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

How can I go about making this thing a dedicated game server?

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

Dedicated game server, Folding@Home, Boinc, or a really good router

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

How can I go about making this thing a dedicated game server?

you can check out the Minecraft community forums

they have tons of guides to make one

or check with other gaming forums

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'd probably experiment with it for awhile to see what I could use it for anything practical as it is.

Then I'd probably try gutting the chassis and see if it would be worth trying to fill it with modern tech.  But it might be mostly proprietary and I'd junk it.

If you want to do anything decent with it I would put a version of Linux on it (personal taste). Most easy to use and configure is Ubuntu (except the case when it has some exotic LSI RAID controller which I don't think ever came standard on these). Once done you can try well anything you can find on the internet with it from Minecraft server to Bitcoin mining and even some hosting for websites / email. 

Truth is you won't be anywhere to the solutions that are offered by others, but at least it is a starting point.

All you need is patience, ability to learn, resistance to noisy fans (mind you the noisiest desktop fan, except the industrial noctua series is a mere sneeze compared to how servers can sound like) and a place were you should keep it running non stop (this will also increase your electricity bill).

I'm in mostly the same situation as you , just that your options are far better considering the hardware. I can get an old PPC system running AIX from my workplace but the amount of stuff you can do with it (besides business critical apps) is nowhere near the ones you can get running on the Edge system.

NAS of course. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

sell it and use the money to treat yourself to an upgrade or your girlfriend out to dinner.

sell it and use the money to treat yourself to an upgrade or your girlfriend out to dinner.

He could make a Minecraft server out of it and build a house with a table and place a cake on it.

why the heck do you have my post on your sig?

He could make a Minecraft server out of it and build a house with a table and place a cake on it.

why the heck do you have my post on your sig?

Because I am keeping an hilarious running gag afloat for you. It's tremendous fun.

Put some UNIX-like OS, maybe a web server on it and learn about servers and UNIX.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well, The size of it it would be pointless as a NAS as its just to bad big and noisy for such a simple task. Whats makes it moot is I ready have a 4 drive Nas that is a very small form factor and takes up no space at all.
One idea me and flat mate had was to put the thing in an enclosure and bung it in the attic its cool the noise wont leak down and it would be out the way. But so far game server is the one that might be worth while or using it as a webserver. If i were to sell it id be lucky to get £20 for it so the way I see it its better to keep it and make use of it than to sell it. 

I'd replace the fans first thing if it's too noisy, there's no reason for it to be that loud. After that do whatever you want but maybe consider getting a better PSU if it'll be on 24/7 so your energy bill is less.

Game servers aren't too difficult if you download a supported OS and find a dedicated program for that game then leave it on all the time (or WINE it in Linux or something). You'll have to figure that out for each game, TF2 and Minecraft have slightly different dedicated methods for example.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Because I am keeping an hilarious running gag afloat for you. It's tremendous fun.

Thank you very much...

titan z

Is it all that safe to run a website/game server from home? I never tried it because I didn't want to take the risk of someone deciding to DDoS the game server because of rage, or someone taking down the site. So if someone decided to do that your internet would slow right the hell down, and your bandwidth would sky rocket..

Is it all that safe to run a website/game server from home? I never tried it because I didn't want to take the risk of someone deciding to DDoS the game server because of rage, or someone taking down the site. So if someone decided to do that your internet would slow right the hell down, and your bandwidth would sky rocket..

Most cases of "ddos" are fake, or used as an excuse by server companies during downtime. Plus your public IP changes fairly often.

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

Most cases of "ddos" are fake, or used as an excuse by server companies during downtime. Plus your public IP changes fairly often.

With my old ISP, my public IP never changed. 

With my old ISP, my public IP never changed.

You can always request a Change

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840