CNC computer cases

Levent

since i got time and a little bit of money left i was thinking about designing and manufacturing my own computer case via CNC machine anyone had any experience with it? and does anyone know if solidworks has student version of their software which i can learn on?

I am thinking about using acrylic but i am open for suggestions

(i feel like i am posting in wrong section)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Are you going to make trays/mounts as well or take them from another case?

Acrylic is extremely brittle and it only gets worse when it's heated. I'd use wood if I were you. Or steel, if you're using a CNC mill.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

so long as the mobo tray is either machined accurately from metal, or you get one from another case or someone like lian li who stock them, then it'll be a decent idea.

Acrylic is extremely brittle and it only gets worse when it's heated. I'd use wood if I were you. Or steel, if you're using a CNC mill.

I would tend to agree with this, but aluminium or steel would be my choices if you have a CNC machine. you can use acrylic no problem from what I know, but metal will look nicer (unless you work for parvum systems) and probably be more likely to stand the test of time, both in looks and material degradation.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I would tend to agree with this, but aluminium or steel would be my choices if you have a CNC machine. you can use acrylic no problem from what I know, but metal will look nicer (unless you work for parvum systems) and probably be more likely to stand the test of time, both in looks and material degradation.

Wood is very cheap though, and I'm still not sure if he's talking about a laser cutter or a CNC mill.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

actually wood would be a lot quieter and easier to work with I need to think find a case to copy it's inside layout first

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Whats CNC?

Wood is very cheap though, and I'm still not sure if he's talking about a laser cutter or a CNC mill.

agreed, and wooden cases can look rather nice, but it can be dependent on the type of wood as well.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

What I would do is get some internals from a cheap case, something from coolermaster like the N300 or K280 would work perfectly. Than you work around that so you have a point of refference, I would reccomend steel/alluminum for the job as it will have the best thermal performance and will look the best, wood isn't reccomended as well as acrylic/polycarbonate/plastics.

Interested in Business and Technology

actually wood would be a lot quieter and easier to work with I need to think find a case to copy it's inside layout first

Cough* Cough* Corsair ahem..

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

agreed, and wooden cases can look rather nice, but it can be dependent on the type of wood as well.

Again, is this a laser cutter or a 2/3 axis mill?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Again, is this a laser cutter or a 2/3 axis mill?

I haven't asked that but I'm guessing it's axis mill

I haven't asked that but I'm guessing it's axis mill

How many axes?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

How many axes?

I'll call them tomorrow and learn prices and specs

I'll call them tomorrow and learn prices and specs

Cool.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

i would love to see this happen. If you dont currently have access to a student software, i would recommend using autodesk inventor pro 2015 student version. I prefer it over the newer versions of solid works.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

i would love to see this happen. If you dont currently have access to a student software, i would recommend using autodesk inventor pro 2015 student version. I prefer it over the newer versions of solid works.

i have a little experience with 3dsmax so i might look into that

You can assemble a CNC kit for not too much money. This would be good enough for to cut aluminum sheeting: Benchtop Basic CNC Machine Kit

even though I would love to I don't have 2500$ to spend, also I talked with few places and they said they got C axis and 3 axis routers and price is reasonable (15-20$ per hour) now time to steal define r4s look and make it from wood