Dell Commercial PCs to Preinstall NeoKylin in China

snowComet

Dell today announced a cooperative agreement with China Standard Software Co., Ltd. (CS2C), planning to preinstall NeoKylin operating system in its commercial PCs like Latitude commercial notebooks, OptiPlex commercial desktops, Precision workstations, and Vostro series of products. Dell claimed it is aim to meet diversified demand of Chinese customers in operating systems.

For those who doesn't know what NeoKylin is, it is a FreeBSD based desktop OS, developed by China Standard Software and the National University of Defense Technology, and it is used for national defense and all sectors of the country’s economy. For more about NeoKylin, you can read the following article:

http://www.freebsdnews.net/2011/01/04/neokylin-chinas-domestic-freebsd-based-desktop/

http://technews.tmcnet.com/news/2014/08/01/7951277.htm

Windows will still be an option anyway. Cool to see more of FreeBSD, though.

They're probably just scared of us spying on them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ah so this is why China is declaring Microsoft a monopoly in China, the  Chinese government is just all  butthurt that they cant spy on anyone since no  one  wanted their shit operating system.

They're probably just scared of us spying on them.

Preventing international espionage is a defense strategy of every sovereign state, not an act of fear. Of all countries, USA, China and Russia are the ones that don't have the reason to be scared of anyone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Ah so this is why China is declaring Microsoft a monopoly in China, the Chinese government is just all butthurt that they cant spy on anyone since no one wanted their shit operating system.

Maybe, just maybe, they are protecting themselves and their country against the NSA? All the NSA spying has already caused something like that, when Brazil cancelled their multi billion dollar contact with Boeing.

Ultimately, it is the US economy that is losing in this.

Next time, use your brain before posting shit like that.

Maybe, just maybe, they are protecting themselves and their country against the NSA? All the NSA spying has already caused something like that, when Brazil cancelled their multi billion dollar contact with Boeing.

Do you really think the NSA is the only US organization that engages in this? Do you think the US is the ONLY country that does this? Use YOUR brain. 

The NSA is just tip of the spear. 

Do you really think the NSA is the only US organization that engages in this? Do you think the US is the ONLY country that does this? Use YOUR brain. 

They may just be the tip of the spear but the NSA isn't just sitting and watching like everyone else. Think about it this way, if Poland were to start spying on other countries, no one would care. When the US starts looking heavily into your governments political affairs and hoarding that information, that's pretty threatening. Unfortunately the US has a lot of power behind them, yet lack the brains to not use it. It's honestly in every country's best interest to stay as far off the US's radar as possible, our government is known for overstepping its boundaries whenever and wherever possible.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Nice go straight to accusatory.

This is my area of expertise, I'm a software developer, I can tell you right now that In the government's current capacity that it would be  close to impossible for them to produce an OS with widespread adoption.  I'm stating the obvious, Singapore tried to do the same thing  back in 2009 with  creating their own OS environment....it still has not seen the light of day. The fact of the matter is all governments are grossly inefficient. I have worked with government contractors before projects are measured in year spans not weeks or months.

So riddle me this, how are you going to get hardware manufactures to provide certification of their products on your OS?

How will you solve communication with other operating system environments?

Can you reliably and quickly provide software support and system patches.

That's right they can't they would have  to build all the infrastructure to  help support the  OS so it does see widespread adoption.

It's not a  case of build it and  they will  come....things don't work that way.

Honestly I think that the NSA can look at whatever they want. I don't care one bit it seems that the vox populi are now coming to terms with the fact that nothing on the internet is private and nothing on the internet can be deleted.......I knew this back in the early 90's and so  did every other person using the internet during that time period. You would be labeled a fool to think the government wasn't monitoring the connections in some  way shape or form. In all honestly they  are collecting more data then they can reliably  process..... so tell me how do you go about parsing data on  a  scale this magnitude? That's  right you would not be able to as  you are also trying  to collect more as your are trying to  process. You are literally looking for a needle in a haystack. It's all  metadata metrics  and that's all they can look at on  a scale of  this size,  sure you can flag individuals but do you really think your life is  interesting enough for them to warrant spying on you? Are you a high ranking dignitary? One of  the top  scientists or engineers in the world? A politician?  if  your answer is no to  any  of these questions then most likely you have nothing to worry about.........Not to mention  people already make  it easy by posting their entire lives on  facebook.

So  yes  I  am using my  brain and it could care less of your  "Atrocities of the NSA  against privacy" viewpoint.

OK, so what? What does it change to the fact that China does not want to risk giving its secrets to the US? A lot of countries do that, so what? How many of these countries produces an OS used worldwide that may (or may not) have backdoors into it?

<snip>

Isn't NeoKylin already in use? It doesn't really matter if the Chinese people use it or not. As long as their facilities are not using Windows.

And there so much wrong to it the rest of what you wrote. Yes, it does not matter much (at least, right now) if they are collecting data on individuals. Europe almost cancelled the Free Trade agreement because of that. Its their ability to spy on other countries affairs, hence the whole point of moving away from Windows.

odd why would they use NeoKylin instead of kylin linux or ubuntu kylin

its just a university

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

OS developed by the Chinese to put an American branded system. That doesn't seem suspicious in the slightest.